• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New intel or amd... the choices

Caporegime
I’m not so fixed on cores but I did like the idea of the 5900x having the 12 cores for when I’m not just gaming and I’m doing some coding etc and other projects.
Would the 5800x perform better in game with a 3090 or would a 5900x perform better? Cost wise it isn’t a big jump in price as apposed to the 5950x

Most games are GPU bound at 1440P and more so at 4K so you won't see much of a difference between a 11400f (an absolute bargain tbh at sub 200) and a 5950X.

Between a 5800X and a 5900X they seem to trade blows in games, the 5800X has slightly better all core clocks and no inter CCD latency issue but the 5900X has a higher boost. It's only a few FPS each way. As you say the small increment in price for 50% more cores seems a no brainer.

Soldato
Would the 5800x perform better in game with a 3090 or would a 5900x perform better? Cost wise it isn’t a big jump in price as apposed to the 5950x
8 core is certainly at the moment enough for any game, if you don't have much stuff on background.
But if you like/want to keep stuff open on background, then 50% more cores helps with that.
Especially when future games start utilizing heavily higher number of cores:
New consoles dedicate 7 cores exclusively for the games to give game developers incentive to improve multithreading/invent new things to do with more cores.
(right now average game simply hasn't come much forward from "Four cores is high end" Intel stagnation era)

Video encoding, data compression, code compiling etc usually hammer cores heavily and can utilize 5900X.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen7-5800x&num=5

16 cores of 5950X is again completely off the charts overkill for gaming... Unless you want to run two games simultaneously.
CPU will simply get otherwise dated before any game would actually benefit from that many cores.
So that would be justifiable choise, if you constantly do heavily multithreaded stuff.

Associate
OP
I think I’m going to get the 5900x, it’s going to be a rock solid choice by what I’m hearing and future proof which is what I try to aim for, I realise end of this year/ q1 next year is going to another leap but I’m tired of waiting and I don’t know what funds I’ll have available then considering I have 3 kids and 3 hobbies haha.

The next question really has to be what motherboard..
I’m torn between viii formula or viii dark hero.
I have a large desk with the pc integrated and I have a lot of water cooling parts in it so I like the idea of the formula as it has the waterblock built in already and some other boards don’t have them available by ekwb. With this one it’s a bit part aesthetics as it’s all seen, my desk actually has 2 computers built in and the other one is running an older formula so would be nice to match but I’ll go by recommendations with this one. I’ve pretty much only ever owned top end ASU’s boards and I like the way they have it all laid out but it’s been a while since I’ve had to overclock so not to sure with simplicity anymore.

Soldato
Looks like price of 5900X's price is jumping.
Though it's still cheaper than Intel's 8 core.

Unless just wanting to throw money away there's little sense in super expensive motherboards, which don't make CPU any faster/longer good staying.
Any but worst X570 boards have overkill VRMs for quite honest TDPs of AMD CPUs.
So any good board has VRM staying in good temperature, unless you have entirely closed cooking oven case without airflow.

What's more challenging for longevity is chipset cooling.
Because of chipset's higher max power draw specification, X570 boards use active fan including coolers for chipset.
And unfortunately most makers have brand hype marketroids leading design resulting crappy cooler designs:
Instead of good size actual heatsink farther from heat of graphics cards, many boards have small heatsink relying on fan positioned directly under graphics card.
Gigabyte and especially MSI have good chipset coolers capable to mostly passive cooling.
So fan failing wouldn't be problem in them.
Asus again has lots of small heatsinks under marketing excrement covers with also fan often constricted by more marketing BS and with everything directly under graphics card.

Caporegime
5800X price seems to have settled at £380, what do we think guys, is that still too expensive?, i think considering its the best 8 core CPU money can buy its priced about right, its £40 more expensive than the 11700K. As for the 11900K, well that's just Intel trying it on, its the same CPU as the 11700K.

Soldato
5800X price seems to have settled at £380, what do we think guys, is that still too expensive?, i think considering its the best 8 core CPU money can buy its priced about right, its £40 more expensive than the 11700K. As for the 11900K, well that's just Intel trying it on, its the same CPU as the 11700K.

It sure is for £307 :D although Its still in the box received the Samsung 980 pro so will likely put it together tomorrow

Just worried about the temps will be using kraken z73 hopefully I've a good chip which clocks well

Associate
OP
I opted for the 5900x in the end,
I’ve paired it with a ASU’s viii dark hero as I really liked the look of the board and mine is always on show, I’ve bought a mono block for the cpu and vrm cooling from ek, I was going to just leave the vrm on stock air cooling but the ocd got the better of me.
Doesn’t look like temps are a problem with amd anyway as the tdp is pretty low in comparison to intel.
As my desk build is pretty big it has plenty of fresh airflow anyway so passive cooling on the chipset shouldn’t be a problem either.
I grabbed a couple of gen 4 Samsung m.2 sticks As the speeds looked pretty snazzy, mostly won’t even be pushing them to half of what they are capable of in reality tho, I do hear using 2 m.2 sticks disabled a couple of data ports is this correct? I’ve never owned a mobo with m.2 in the new factor as the last one I owned was a maximum v extreme and it had that stupid attachment thing which only took the smallest size that was almost impossible to buy haha never bothered in the end as I gave up hunting

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom