What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
After buying that capture card a couple of weeks ago (and a tripod, and a microphone, and a 1080/60 camera over the last year or so) I finally made a video of a PC build. It's... pretty novice, I think I was making better videos in GCSE Media Studies! I'm trying to work out if I had fun over the 12 hours plus it took to make, and think I did have fun (just). I have gone for a Word Art theme on my "channel" (channel in massive quotation marks) because who didn't love Word Art if you had it in school.

I'm really impressed with the Elgato HD60 Pro capture card, its worked with all DOS resolutions I tried over DVI. Here is the timestamp for the captures if you want to skip some of the droning! https://youtu.be/35ijCgb9VhY?t=398

Caporegime
After buying that capture card a couple of weeks ago (and a tripod, and a microphone, and a 1080/60 camera over the last year or so) I finally made a video of a PC build. It's... pretty novice, I think I was making better videos in GCSE Media Studies! I'm trying to work out if I had fun over the 12 hours plus it took to make, and think I did have fun (just). I have gone for a Word Art theme on my "channel" (channel in massive quotation marks) because who didn't love Word Art if you had it in school.

I'm really impressed with the Elgato HD60 Pro capture card, its worked with all DOS resolutions I tried over DVI. Here is the timestamp for the captures if you want to skip some of the droning! https://youtu.be/35ijCgb9VhY?t=398
Nice video, and good to hear about the Elgato, as I’ve got a 4k60 on the way that I’m hoping will capture similar Win98 resolutions!

Soldato

Looks good so far mate! Just hit you with all my accounts which should give you a little boost :)

Will watch it all after dinner.

Caporegime
Cheers mate!

Me and my bro did a test with just 8 likes vs 0 likes(before being publicly listed) a video got over 50% hits from searches! Youtubers dont exaggerate when they say subs/likes help.

Well hopefully you can all return the favour when I get my first vid up (though I’ve read that having a minimum of 3 vids also helps)!

Soldato

Great vid.
FYI Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow warrior work best selecting Waveblaster for music when using a Soundblaster live.
Much more like soundblaster 16 opl3 than general midi

Soldato
Ohhh, interesting.
Never know, it may contain a Voodoo 5, Awe32 with full simms and a wavetable daughterboard
That would be fun!

More likely is an OEM motherboard with dreadful built in sound/vga and no agp slot :p

Do enjoy the mystery boxes tho. My last one turned out to be mega profitable and useful.

Still have the case! And that one only cost £5 too :)

Soldato
That would be fun!

More likely is an OEM motherboard with dreadful built in sound/vga and no agp slot :p

Do enjoy the mystery boxes tho. My last one turned out to be mega profitable and useful.

Still have the case! And that one only cost £5 too :)
£5?! Where are you finding these. FB marketplace has the occasional old machine but thats about it

Soldato
Do you think this keyboard is likely to be mechanical? I've already got a mechanical beige keyboard so I don't really neeeeeeeed it (and I've just cleared out some stuff so don't need it sat on my shelves)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/187727866185433/?ref=facebook_story_share

Also what was in the £5 PC!!
Any IBM keyboard of that age is worht that and more even if you just flip it!

I have not IDed the insides of the £5 pc yet but basically it is an MATX motherboard with a modem, a different modem (ISDN?? Not familiar with it) and a very built in motherboard. CMI8738 sound chip by the look of it, Cant tell exactly what cpu but its reported as k7 athlon 1050mhz in bios. Cannot see what VGA it has yet either! It also has 6 caps with a lovely brown ooze emerging from them. Apart from that its incredibly clean.

Going to film to B roll of it tonight if I can clear enough room on my desk. Then throw a HDD in it and install XP and see what we have.

EDIT: it also has an AGP slot. Managed to ID it as PC CHIPS M810LM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom