People complaining about paying for their own care again = massive entitlement

Soldato
If the council believe the house was gifted to avoid care costs, then yes they can still assess it as part of the parents estate. And as Surveyor points out, if the Parents still have a reservation of benefit then that goes towards the Council's case.

You can put the house into a Trust, which can ring fence it, and then it's not part of the parents estate for IHT either, but there are some caveats with that too.

Soldato

Thank you for the link.

Social care is going to be a big issue in years to come, not because people are 'hoarding' money. But because of the demographic balance that the workforce is shrinking while generally people are living longer, and a side effect is many of them have extra care needs.

I think it is good for the government to start thinking of this situation. Because its already a growing problem for adult care needs (under pension age).

Whatever system gets put it place I hope it gives more clarity than the current one.

Man of Honour
Absolutely.

But that doesn't include insulating their assets to take to the grave. [..]

I suppose I could put it in my will that my home should be sold, the money used to buy gold and that gold buried in my grave with my corpse. But I won't and I very much doubt that anyone does. So no, a person's assets aren't taken to their grave. We don't even bury people with grave goods any more. I don't know exactly when that stopped being a thing in Britain, but I'm fairly sure it was well over 1000 years ago. Besides, my corpse is going to be re-used for parts as much as possible and what's left is to be used for research or medical training if any such people have any use for it. I don't expect to have a grave, but I'll leave it in the hands of anyone who's still alive and cares. If it makes them feel better for there to be a grave with my name on it, fine. I'll be dead. I won't care. At that point, it's entirely about them.

I'd rather they just legalised assisted dying, so that those of us who don't want to spend their last days with someone else wiping our bum can get a clean exit and leave the money to family instead.

That too. Also, assisted dying would be of benefit to transplantation.

Soldato
I suppose I could put it in my will that my home should be sold, the money used to buy gold and that gold buried in my grave with my corpse. But I won't and I very much doubt that anyone does. So no, a person's assets aren't taken to their grave. We don't even bury people with grave goods any more. I don't know exactly when that stopped being a thing in Britain, but I'm fairly sure it was well over 1000 years ago. Besides, my corpse is going to be re-used for parts as much as possible and what's left is to be used for research or medical training if any such people have any use for it. I don't expect to have a grave, but I'll leave it in the hands of anyone who's still alive and cares. If it makes them feel better for there to be a grave with my name on it, fine. I'll be dead. I won't care. At that point, it's entirely about them.
I can't tell if you've made a point or not in all that....?

(meaning, I'd like to engage, but I don't know if you were just being glib, or if you were giving a counter argument)

Last edited:
Soldato
The house next door to me has been empty of years, the lady who has no children was taken into care and (apparently) I'm told that the government will just keep picking up the cheque rather than sell the house... Which I think is strange.

Caporegime
We all ready do.
A friend of mine, his wife was incredibly ill and had to go into a care home, he was paying over £1000 per week to allow his ill wife to have some sort of dignity in her later stages of life as he too was too old to look after her. Many of the other people within the care home didn't have an income so the local council paid for their care. I might add that the council got a substantial decrease in the cost per person they had at the care home, something like £600 per week off. How can that be right !!.

As a society I agree we need to do more, but as long as you have private companies who provide care with paying those people who do the caring to the most vulnerable on a pittance of a wage it wont stop.
I pay my taxes, I pay everything that I need to pay, I'm trying to provide for myself, wife and children and leave something to them when I leave. Ill be absolutely damned to see my hard work and struggle at times being sold off or took away from my children inheritance for me to be in a care home. Ill put it all in a trust or something in order for that not to happen.

Should have divorced her and left her woth nothing sadly if you want to game the system.

Man of Honour
I can't tell if you've made a point or not in all that....?

(meaning, I'd like to engage, but I don't know if you were just being glib, or if you were giving a counter argument)

I'll be clearer, then:

A dead person's assets are not put in their grave in the UK today. Your statement that they are is wrong. It would be partially right in some times and places, those with the custom of grave goods, but that's not been the case in Britain for at least a thousand years.

Soldato
I'll be clearer, then:

A dead person's assets are not put in their grave in the UK today. Your statement that they are is wrong. It would be partially right in some times and places, those with the custom of grave goods, but that's not been the case in Britain for at least a thousand years.
Are you just taking issue on a literal interpretation of a common idiom?

Soldato
The house next door to me has been empty of years, the lady who has no children was taken into care and (apparently) I'm told that the government will just keep picking up the cheque rather than sell the house... Which I think is strange.
It's making money

Soldato
Thank you for the link.

Social care is going to be a big issue in years to come, not because people are 'hoarding' money. But because of the demographic balance that the workforce is shrinking while generally people are living longer, and a side effect is many of them have extra care needs.

I think it is good for the government to start thinking of this situation. Because its already a growing problem for adult care needs (under pension age).

Whatever system gets put it place I hope it gives more clarity than the current one.
What did they expect when they told everyone to stop smoking, going to the costing the government more as we are now living longer needing, false hips, heart transplants, assisted living, pensions and that's before go to care homes.

I don't think it was thought out properly

Soldato
A lot of British people who develop dementia or Alzheimer's have to be supported by relatives when their money runs out. If the relative (often spouse) has little to no money saved, they may have to sell their home to pay for the sufferer's care. When that money has been spent too, the state will only pay when you both have nothing left.

@Outcast440 - If this happened to someone dear to you, and then you had to sell your home (assuming you have one when you are older, if you don't already), how do you think you would feel about this? What is the purpose of a welfare state, if not to care for people in need? What's your view on this?

Lol, everyone else is debating it now, maybe OP just wants to watch the show?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you for the link.

As more and more people are not employed, those who are need to do more 'work'. And while you might be reading about automation and think its all very well and good, the reality is most people are useless as it is.

Due to the fact that we, the UK collectively are useless, we cannot actually afford to keep paying benefits and social care.

Others say we can do it, and that we are a rich country, but that is entirely wrong.

I am reminded entirely of order 227

Moscow, Nr. 227, July 28, 1942

The enemy throws new forces to the front without regard to heavy losses and penetrates deep into the Soviet Union, seizing new regions, destroying our cities and villages, and violating, plundering and killing the Soviet population. Combat goes on in region Voronezh, near Don, in the south, and at the gates of the Northern Caucasus. The German invaders penetrate toward Stalingrad, to Volga and want at any cost to trap Kuban and the Northern Caucasus, with their oil and grain. The enemy already has captured Voroshilovgrad, Starobelsk, Rossosh, Kupyansk, Valuyki, Novocherkassk, Rostov on Don, half Voronezh. Part of the troops of the Southern front, following the panic-mongers, have left Rostov and Novocherkassk without severe resistance and without orders from Moscow, covering their banners with shame.

The population of our country, who love and respect the Red Army, start to be discouraged in her and lose faith in the Red Army, and many curse the Red Army for leaving our people under the yoke of the German oppressors, and itself running east.

Some stupid people at the front calm themselves with talk that we can retreat further to the east, as we have a lot of territory, a lot of ground, a lot of population and that there will always be much bread for us. They want to justify the infamous behaviour at the front. But such talk is a falsehood, helpful only to our enemies.

Each commander, Red Army soldier and political commissar should understand that our means are not limitless. The territory of the Soviet state is not a desert, but people - workers, peasants, intelligentsia, our fathers, mothers, wives, brothers, children. The territory of the USSR which the enemy has captured and aims to capture is bread and other products for the army, metal and fuel for industry, factories, plants supplying the army with arms and ammunition, railways. After the loss of Ukraine, Belarus, Baltic republics, Donetzk, and other areas we have much less territory, much fewer people, bread, metal, plants and factories. We have lost more than 70 million people, more than 800 million pounds of bread annually and more than 10 million tons of metal annually. Now we do not have predominance over the Germans in human reserves, in reserves of bread. To retreat further - means to waste ourselves and to waste at the same time our Motherland.

Therefore it is necessary to eliminate talk that we have the capability endlessly to retreat, that we have a lot of territory, that our country is great and rich, that there is a large population, and that bread always will be abundant. Such talk is false and parasitic, it weakens us and benefits the enemy, if we do not stop retreating we will be without bread, without fuel, without metal, without raw material, without factories and plants, without railways.

This leads to the conclusion, it is time to finish retreating. Not one step back! Such should now be our main slogan.

Soldato
This story is doing the rounds again - looks like Jeremy Corbo-Hunt is banging the drum for 'free' care agin - capped at 45k max, even for those with 2million pound houses.

Now, if it's not enough for the vast majority of healthy people being locked up for 1 year, to 'help out' the old and unproductive - why should we now have to fork out for the oldies' care? What's wrong with them just getting a loan on their houses or selling them etc..? Gotta love these baby boomers overinflated sense of entitlement!:rolleyes:

You want excessive health care, you pay! What's wrong with that?

So much ignorance.

Caporegime
Personally main reason for me having a house and pension is for later years.

I fully expect any end of life money from government to dwindle as time goes on.
Now I may be being stupid. As they may raid this and I'd be better off spending it now.

Ideally everyone should get Xk per year allowance. But yeah, cash is drying up. Look at the pension age, national debt and NHS costs.

I'm sure we'll be all paying for it eventually.

Im not so much worried about later life (it'll be **** no matter what) but I do think we are declining rapidly in end of life quality of life.

Soldato
I'd rather they just legalised assisted dying, so that those of us who don't want to spend their last days with someone else wiping our bum can get a clean exit and leave the money to family instead.

That's the trap, the 'sanctity' of life means you can't get off the bus even if you want to, so the state bleeds you dry depriving the next generation of the inheritance built up over decades.

The significant cost of the care is property... almost all care homes have been sold at great profit to trusts or landlords who know people with no exit option will be forced into them and then can charge £1000 per week to let you rot in a urine soaked bed while minimum wage carers sit glue to their mobiles.

I don't blame the boomers, they worked hard, many died through poor health and safety and bad diets. They didn't grow up with central heating, Sky TV, mobiles, the internet. Milk was introduced in schools as so many were poorly nourished. Around half of council tax is used to pay for care, so we pay all our lives and then commercial funds who own the care homes cream off years of our earnings for crap care at the end.

I'd rather have a party and the pill...... that's what we should fight for. The right to get off the bus.

Man of Honour
What have the previous generation left us? A dying planet, nationalism on the rise, isolationism, de-nationalisation of key industries, pay rises below inflation, erosion of workers rights, expensive higher education, unaffordable houses/no council housing?

You forgot what they have done for us : sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health.

Back
Top Bottom