Powder coating or painting a case?

Associate
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this? Any recommendations in terms of techniques, specific powder-coating companies, tips etc?

I'm looking at doing the front, top and side panel of a case (currently black, I want them to be white), plus some vent grilles (currently blue, I want them black). Not sure of the exact diameter of the holes in the grilles but I'd guess around 2-3mm, not sure if that'll be an issue.

I'm also wondering what kind of price would be reasonable for this, assuming I take the case apart, drill out the rivets etc myself.

Cheers

Associate
Lots of people have done this before and the pricing seems reasonable (most seemed like the price of the case that they gave).

Out of interest, what case is it?

Associate
OP
Glad to hear it's not too expensive :) hoping someone can recommend a specific shop though.

Case is an NZXT H400. I want it in white/black but can't find that colour on sale anywhere so settling for re-coating a blue/black one.

Associate
OP
Won't that be a lot more fragile with a worse finish? Although I suppose I could spray it for cheap then still have the option of powder-coating if I'm not happy with the result.

Associate
Paint I would recommend some specific for car repair. Not expensive and was much easier to work with, compared to "general" use ones.
Also take your time. Few very thin coats and you're done. Much easier to get a nice finish. Also matt is easier, as gloss would highlight any imperfection.

Associate
OP
enamel is good as when it drys is harder than normal arousal.

Hahah, speak for yourself mate :p

Paint I would recommend some specific for car repair. Not expensive and was much easier to work with, compared to "general" use ones.
Also take your time. Few very thin coats and you're done. Much easier to get a nice finish. Also matt is easier, as gloss would highlight any imperfection.

Cheers for the advice. Do I have to use sandpaper to fully remove the current finish (which I assume is powder-coat by default from the factory?), or just rough it up a bit? Then primer, then multiple thin layers of my desired colour. Then some kind of topcoat?

As you can tell I basically have no idea what I'm doing.

Associate
Some primer could be applied straight on top of previous paint, no need to sand it if not gloss.
Just make sure such primer can be applied that way.
Done in the past straight on top of previous paint without issue. As isn't something you would be "wearing out" like staircase or floor, should be more than fine.
As long you let the paint dry between coats, should help to get an even finish and no issues with the paint coat bubbling or flaking.

Back
Top Bottom