• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Scapling big

Associate
I mean expecting to casually go on a site and buy one when thousands of others are trying to. The first month or 2 after-release cards were much easier to get if you put in any form of effort.

Soldato
Just seen this card that was on OcUk 1pcs being scapled on auction site for £2,930

You can pretty much buy an entire prebuilt with a 3090 for that money. Admittedly it’d be preorder rather than NOW but I doubt the wait would be massive.

You’d have to be bonkers stupid to pay so much for the card alone.

Soldato
Scalping stops if people stop buying, simple as that. Seems in 2021 people can't control themselves when it comes to buying consumer products anymore.

The other issue is that retailers will see this and think they can also push their prices up as people are willing to pay way more than rrp for something..

Associate
By not trying hard enough, do you mean not having the reflexes of a bot, not being available and having phone in hand for one of the six 3080FE drops, or simply not having deep enough pockets or the inclination to pay well over RRP?
For the PS5, Argos pre-orders were open for at least an hour before they sold out, and they announced the day before that pre-orders would be going live in the early hours. If someone really wanted one they had the opportunity to get one on release day at MSRP without a bot.

Permabanned
OP
For the PS5, Argos pre-orders were open for at least an hour before they sold out, and they announced the day before that pre-orders would be going live in the early hours. If someone really wanted one they had the opportunity to get one on release day at MSRP without a bot.
That's a joke I know people waiting in queues to buy for 6 hours then get kicked out in the last few minutes

Associate
That's a joke I know people waiting in queues to buy for 6 hours then get kicked out in the last few minutes
It's a fact, I know because I pre-ordered one around 30 minutes after it went live and had it delivered on release day. Admittedly it wouldn't be ideal for most people to pull an all nighter, nevertheless the opportunity was there for those that really wanted one.

Associate
Just imagine if people didn't buy these at inflated prices and waited. It really is people's own fault.

I know this has been said in every GPU thread so far :p
This. There's people willing to pay that much, I don't mind.
As long they don't do that with medication and food, I'm fine.
Seeing retailers selling second hand 2080ti for 1500+ and 90 days warranty, well, that's scalping?
I honestly don't see why a stamp or an old coin could be so valuable. The rarity.
At the moment consoles and GPUs are rare, hence the price. And wait for the effects of the new cryptocurrency that uses SSD for mining.
I can only hope for the whole scheme to collapse.
Profit generated without a product or real service being offered.

Caporegime
Unpopular opinion - While PS5s and graphics cards have been harder to get, they have not been impossible. Anyone who has really wanted one and still doesn't have one could not have been trying that hard.
Lolwut.

Oh you mean "at any price". Yeah, sure. PS5s are available from scalpers on eBay and GPUs are available too at £300-£1000 over RRP depending on model.

At sensible prices (i.e. near RRP), no way.

e: FYI I tried to get an MBA card at every AMD.com drop I when I was near a computer at the time. You've got more chance of winning the lottery. Bots cleaned them out in milliseconds, every, single, time.

Then after December they stopped shipping to the UK anyhow :D :D :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
I also blame buyers.

People seem to regard the latest (not even having one, but the latest) gpu/console as a right. And that they/they're kid is suffering because of it.

I see posts on Facebook market place saying 'it's people like you who ruin Christmas'.
If a kid having a new ps5 or whatever makes or breaks Christmas somethings gone very wrong.

But that's the way things are. Epeen, having the latest, FOMO.

It's sad really

Personally. I will not pay over the odds. And the rrp is even ridiculous. So I've bailed on pc gaming and gaming in general. I'm keeping my kit but not upgrading. The cost is no longer worth it for me. Paying 300 for a decent gpu? OK. Paying 700? Nope. Paying scalper prices? Absolutely no chance

Associate
For the FE there has been drops first thing in the morning, early evening and weekends.
The world's largest retailer also drops at all times and all days.
As said before if you expect it to come to you, you're prob going to be disappointed but if some work was put in it was/is achievable.
I do agree it's much harder now than last year, but still do able.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I mean expecting to casually go on a site and buy one when thousands of others are trying to. The first month or 2 after-release cards were much easier to get if you put in any form of effort.

I'm talking about GPU, not consoles. During the first month... people are still waiting for Day 1 orders to be fulfilled, and almost all retailers stopped taking pre-orders just days after launch. Any time after that and you are fighting against bots for minimal quantities of stock. I've jumped on every 3080FE drop and not managed to get one yet, and there are many, many others who will say the same.

Soldato
I've jumped on every 3080FE drop and not managed to get one yet, and there are many, many others who will say the same.

How many 3080 FE drops have there been since they launched, if it were dozens & dozens I could understand your frustration, but I bet its only averaged about 1 drop a month (if that), so the chances of getting one is just down to right place, right time, i.e practically zero.

Caporegime
You cannot buy a Ps5 using bots yes you could do it several months ago but not since March for the majority.

Obviously you guys have no idea about the protection in place. Plus nobody has had stock of Ps5 for a month now. So you couldn't buy even if you wanted to.

Associate
I was lucky on the PS5 front, got one back in March, just happened to be awake at 4am when an A*g*s drop happened. I have just recently been made aware of how massive the scalping problem is though from a friend of mine who was telling me about his sons exploits (and all his sons friends). Seems nearly everything that is "desirable" right now is scalped, armies of teenagers are spending their days online buying up trainers, clothing, electronics and using quite clever tactics to get around measures in place to prevent it, my mates son isn't using bots that I know of. In some ways I can't blame them, my mates son is making 2K plus per month selling all sorts, limited edition trainers are a massive one for him, but he's sold quite a few Playstations, one of his mates even makes a hefty profit on socks!. The problem is, with so many on the scalping band wagon it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, all stock gets scooped up creating false shortages. People refusing to buy the stuff is the only way it will stop, retailers (internally) I doubt give a damn, they get to sell out stock in minutes of release, what's not to like for them.

Permabanned
OP
People will learn the hard way! When bubbles bust and they realise how much they are loosing because they paid £1,700 for a £500 card :cry: and manufactures bump the cost up of cards. They won't do it again.

Back
Top Bottom