Life in South Africa...

Soldato
Cash in Transit robberies were a regular thing when I lived there 2001-2005. Truly a shame to see they haven't really got on top of this, or any of the many other problems in the country really. I loved growing up there.

Soldato
Cash in Transit robberies were a regular thing when I lived there 2001-2005. Truly a shame to see they haven't really got on top of this, or any of the many other problems in the country really. I loved growing up there.
And then you moved to Glasgow? Switched hot and violent with cold and violent? :p

Man of Honour

There are accusations that some higher up in government who are supposed to be part of tackling it are complicit with organised crime.

Caporegime
Apparently in some areas in SA some houses have the bedroom and utilities inside a fortified and often metal caged area within the house, so that if there is a break-in they are safe from the intruders and can let them get on with it until it is safe to come out into the "outer house" again. Also doubles as a shelter in case of civil unrest. Terrifying stuff...

Man of Honour
Maybe they have to take what they can get but I certainly wouldn't want to do that job without something along the lines of a bullpup rifle/carbine like the Tavor or MDRX - a full size rifle in that situation is more likely going to get you killed :(

Associate
Apparently in some areas in SA some houses have the bedroom and utilities inside a fortified and often metal caged area within the house, so that if there is a break-in they are safe from the intruders and can let them get on with it until it is safe to come out into the "outer house" again. Also doubles as a shelter in case of civil unrest. Terrifying stuff...
Yup it's a right ******** of a country. I stayed there for 6 months while helping my mum to do a house up and the level of violent crime is shocking. You live behind armed guards but the neighbours were still fetting robbed and hacked up by machetes. The honest impression I got is that if you're wealthy it's only a matter of time before you're targeted. Maybe it'll take 20-30 years before it happens to you but a violent robbery just came across as unavoidable.

So yeah people live in cages. Probably wont ever change, all south africans are ******** regardless of race or religion anyway so best to just leave them to it and focus on improving things elsewhere.

Man of Honour
Yup it's a right ******** of a country. I stayed there for 6 months while helping my mum to do a house up and the level of violent crime is shocking. You live behind armed guards but the neighbours were still fetting robbed and hacked up by machetes. The honest impression I got is that if you're wealthy it's only a matter of time before you're targeted. Maybe it'll take 20-30 years before it happens to you but a violent robbery just came across as unavoidable.

So yeah people live in cages. Probably wont ever change, all south africans are ******** regardless of race or religion anyway so best to just leave them to it and focus on improving things elsewhere.

My old neighbours in London lived in a compound with the houses having all that stuff - didn't save their neighbours. They were planning on moving back though as soon as the kids were older.

Caporegime
I literally interviewed a lady who had come to England with her two children the other week for a job. When I asked her why she left SA she mentioned about stuff like this. Never thought it was that bad but then saw this. Pretty much real life GTA.

Caporegime
You mean like panic rooms, which are also common with the wealthy in the states.

Soldato
Bullet resistant, not bullet proof. None of those windows will survive sustained fire from an AK-47 or similar weapon.

Aye pistol round and rifle round are 2 completely different ball games.

.308 rifle round will go through pretty thick steel that glass ain't gonna do ****.

As you say an AK47 which uses very similar gonna sail through that, you, the glass behind you and still go another several hundred metres before it hits something solid.

Soldato
There's a lot of bullet proof glass that will stop 7.62 rounds these days, the technology has come a long way. There's also a lot of vests that will stop higher calibre rounds.

Back
Top Bottom