Fitted wardrobes in an attic

Soldato
As the title suggests I'm looking to get fitted wardrobes in the attic room. Having looked online I don't see that many retailers offering the fully fitted experience. Sharpes seem good quality but I hear they overpriced for what you get.

The room is a standard sizes with part of the wall having a sloping ceiling. I'm looking to get something like this:

yBnjoul.png

Had a look on Ebay and see there are people out there that will make the wardrobe according to my measurements, then I can get a joiner in to fir it. Would that be the cheapest way?

Associate
Firstly fitted furniture in attics require proper stairs for access, not pull down ones, so make sure that is the case.

When looking at Sharps, also get a quote from Hammonds that offer similar and typically lower prices. Tell each that you will be comparing with the other and taking the lowest quote to usually unlock the biggest discounts they will give.

Tell Hammonds that you are aware from other customers that have bought from them that they offer a maximum of 41% discount off their base prices for new customers (ignoring their website offers, this is best deal they offer and doesn't stack with any other offers, existing customers get 45% off the base price).

Hammonds prices at 41% off are lower than Sharps prices at 60% off. Eg my main bedroom plan with the same furniture (4 wardrobes in L shape, no mirrors and two bedside cabinets) was quoted at £2950 by Hammonds, and £3200 by sharps, and the latter had advised me in their show room that they were always cheaper than hammonds.

Strachan charge 3-4x as much as either Hammonds or Sharps but offer real wood throughout their ranges, but then both the other companies also have a few wood veneer ranges too and still wouldn't cost as much (a £2900 design from Hammonds was priced at £10000 for wood veneer based units, and £12000 for solid oak from Strachan, and when trying to get a quote from them they are extremely hesitant to give it without first mentioning they are a higher end / better quality provider so their prices are higher).

From what I've already seen, you arent going to find much lower prices than Hammonds or Sharps unless you arrange the matterials and fitting yourself.

Associate
Also bear in mind with a lot of the ranges from sharps like the one you pictured in the OP (Element in Light Driftwood and Dove White frame), while the wood effect fronts look and feel amazing, the rest of the 'dove white / grey / other colours' frame is typically of the lowest / crappiest quality.

Contrast that to Hammond's new Linje range which offers the same wood options (Light Driftwood and Tuscan Oak = Swiss Elm from Sharps), but they also use the same material or a choice of any of the other colours on the range for the frame as well. I might be considering this one for my lounge as well now.

E.G pictures, compare the frames / interiors / backs as much as the fronts:

https://www.hammonds-uk.com/sites/d...M0951_HAMMONDS_SC06_LINEA_DRIFTWOOD_S04_0.jpg

https://d3pzevpzjatvsw.cloudfront.n...FFICE_OCTOBER_2017-14228_flat_FLD_2000px.webp

While those are the comparable ranges shown in office / lounge pics, the same issue applies to wardrobes as well. Look at and contrast the lower quality frame used for the rest of the cabinet in the second pic (sharps) to hammonds building the full units out of driftwood (they also offer similar alternative colours for the frame or fronts as well in the same mix and match style).

Sharps will not build the frame out of the wood effect options, Hammonds will.

Also consider if building for an office type plan, the difference between the base typical frame being used for the worktop in the second pic above to the option of having a denser / thicker chipboard laminate:

https://www.hammonds-uk.com/sites/d...ARPSDEN_DARK_PRALINE_OFFICE.jpg?itok=ON-5cUk0

This isnt necessary if the worktop isn't going to be used as a desk, and the units from hammonds can still be built using the same frame on top as the rest of the units, but they at least offer laminate worktops if you need a harder wearing surface, Sharps appear not to do so you just have the thin painted frame as your worktop as well.

I have such a laminate worktop for my computer desk from Hammonds and it is seriously heavy and dense (the small removable back cover to hide the cables is more than 3 times heavier than a twice as big Ikea worktop - Chipboard / Laminate vs Sawdust filled and easily cracked veneer from Ikea).

Basically Hammonds will give you a kitchen grade worktop for your desks if you want them.

** Do Not Hotlink Images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
Wow thanks @BallistixOnZ490 for your in depth posts. I haven't contacted Hammond but will do straight away.

A small family run business has come back to me quoting £2700 for the work but they haven't said what materials they are going to use.

Soldato
I'd be inclined to have them custom made from decent plywood. Have flat fronted doors made due to some needing to have an angle cut off the corners and have them faced with Formica. Will be more long lasting than any commercially made MDF junk from Sharpes etc.

Soldato
Almost all local kitchen/bedroom fitting companies will supply and fit custom made to fit attic fitted wardrobes. Not sure where you been looking to not be able to find any.

Soldato
Use a local reputable carpenter. It's what we did and couldn't be happier. All solid wood, flexibility to change/add to the spec easily once work starts (we added drawers etc) and none of this discount haggling nonsense between the overpriced companies.

Soldato
OP
Had two quotes so far. Local joiner £4500 and Sharpes £4400. Got two more designers coming and then I'll make a decision.

This is what I'm looking to get installed:

L26KsV7.jpg

BnQOFQ4.png

Soldato
OP
Have you factored in the acess to the lower door on the right into that crawl space ?

Yes thanks, it doesn't need access so they can cover it up

Is that all you are having done for £4.5k, just what's in the diagram? :eek:

Yes that's what I was thinking. Having looked around at forums I thought I'd be coming in around the £2500 to £3000 mark. Maybe because the roof is sloping it costs more? Or they are making up the lost revenue due to COVID?

Soldato
Personally I'd make the doors go right the way up with just some narrow framework / pelmet going around the top so that the doors don't scrape the ceiling. If you go for doors with routed handle recesses or magnetic push release then you could make them look quite swish and stealth so that the dressing of the bed is the feature of the room or put long stainless steal rod handles on the doors if you want the wardrobes to show up more rather than blending into the background.

You could have internal shelves at the top then and it wouldn't look so fussy with so many doors.

Shouldn't be any big deal for them to cut a whole in the side panel for the crawl space access. They'd probably need to remove at least the right hand side architrave from that door anyway.

Soldato
Seems high. We paid £3,156 inc VAT for the below in Bristol (so not going to be the lowest place in the country). Oak lined custom internals (as in actually custom, not just choose 1 of 10 drawer sets from a catalogue). £550 of that was for spray painting, which incidentally we flagged needed another coat and they came back 48 hours later - god knows how long that would have taken if we'd used a chain like Sharps.

7NTjPec.jpg
Z8Kkejt.jpg
0OwnGT5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom