Spec me a water softener

D3K

D3K

Soldato
One system, connected to the water coming into the house but after the split to the taps.

So all water feeds are softened.

Then, in the kitchen, the water supply has been split into 2 taps:
  • one cold, direct from the water softener
  • Another cold, direct from the water softener, but filtered for better taste.
But all of it comes through the softener
Our mains is fed under the kitchen sink.

As we didn't have space indoors, our Harveys unit is set up just outside, and piping was laid through the wall.

So the main inside has a split, one going to the outside garden tap, and one going to the softerner, which in turn connects back inside to deliver softened water throughout the house (we don't mind drinking it).

That way the garden supply isn't softened, as it isn't ideal for plants.
Ok cheers. I guess the best way then is to get it softened first and see if I can stomach the taste. I assume the taste problem comes from using salt bricks or whatever they are?

Caporegime
Ok cheers. I guess the best way then is to get it softened first and see if I can stomach the taste. I assume the taste problem comes from using salt bricks or whatever they are?

Nope, the amount of sodium added to the water is negligible (unless you live in a super hard water area), mine doesn't taste salty at all and we are in a 233ppm hard area.

https://homewater101.com/myth-water-softeners-make-water-salty

Associate
Not sure I follow. It sounds like you are describing two systems - one for softening, one for drinking?

My water mains is at the front of the drive. Ideally I'd like to cut a hole in the middle of the drive and drop a single device in there to intersect the pipe, and then cover it up.

You need to fill the softner up with salt every few weeks (depending on usage) so burying it somewhere isn't really viable. As already mentioned best option is softner attached where the supply comes into the house (usually in the kitchen although I know people who've had it put into the garage) and then everything in the house will pretty much be soft but you can have a hard water tap branched off for drinking and keep your outside tap hard as softened water isn't good for plants. Regarding the drinking tap, softened water is safe to drink but not recommended for babies due to sightly higher sodium content. Also some people don't like the taste. There is no issue with a salty taste its more to do with the fact that some of the minerals which cause limescale have been removed which give it a different taste. I grew up in Scotland so am used to soft tasting water but the missus hates it.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Nope, the amount of sodium added to the water is negligible (unless you live in a super hard water area), mine doesn't taste salty at all and we are in a 233ppm hard area.

https://homewater101.com/myth-water-softeners-make-water-salty
Sounds promising, can you link me your exact model?
I grew up in Scotland so am used to soft tasting water but the missus hates it.
Same, I didn't realise there was a taste difference that had people preferring pre-filtered o.O

Associate
Hi all

My father is fairly fed up of cleaning/replacing/fixing anything water related, due to limescale build up.

He’s fairly good at cleaning and keeping on top of things, but he’s just at the stage where he’d like to look into a solution to soften the water coming into the house.

I wanted to see if anyone has had anything installed previously, and could shed some light on what to avoid and what to consider.

Are there any particular go to systems?

House is a 5 bed - not sure if I need to provide any other relevant details, so let me know :)

Thanks in advance
I personally have experience with a water softener system, and it has made a significant difference in reducing limescale build-up. Regarding what to consider, the size of your father's house is a factor. In addition to installing a water softener, your father might also want to consider switching to a tankless water heater. I recently found this article and learned that switching to a tankless water heater could be a great way to reduce maintenance and improve the overall efficiency of your home. I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom