Life in South Africa...

Soldato
Aye pistol round and rifle round are 2 completely different ball games.

.308 rifle round will go through pretty thick steel that glass ain't gonna do ****.

As you say an AK47 which uses very similar gonna sail through that, you, the glass behind you and still go another several hundred metres before it hits something solid.

you can get glass that resists quite a few ak47 rounds before failing - its far more effective than steel

Soldato
There's a lot of bullet proof glass that will stop 7.62 rounds these days, the technology has come a long way. There's also a lot of vests that will stop higher calibre rounds.

True, but that’s still heavy (requiring suspension/brake upgrades) and rather expensive. It’s likely G4S and their ilk will not be supplying MRAPs for CIT crews.

Likewise, there are indeed armour carrier vests that combine solid plates and Kevlar fabric to stop most common infantry weapon bullets. The blunt force trauma isn’t fun though.

Associate
You mean like panic rooms, which are also common with the wealthy in the states.
these aren't panic rooms as such. They will have prison cell like bars/gates set up in the interior of their house so they can look them selves away in select rooms. Far more basic and not for the super wealthy like some millionaires panic room.

Caporegime
these aren't panic rooms as such. They will have prison cell like bars/gates set up in the interior of their house so they can look them selves away in select rooms. Far more basic and not for the super wealthy like some millionaires panic room.

Still, 2 sides of the same coin. If a panic-room, or similar, is seen as necessary or desirable, you might want to have a look at the state of the country you are living in, be it 1st or 3rd world. ;)

Soldato
And then you moved to Glasgow? Switched hot and violent with cold and violent? :p

I don't have bars on my windows or an electric fence around the development so it's not quite so bad!

There are accusations that some higher up in government who are supposed to be part of tackling it are complicit with organised crime.

Yeah it's long been that way, they've been astonishing blatant about it at times too; there used to be a law enforcement unit called the Scorpions who were very pro-active at dealing with organised crime and government corruption. They were so effective that the government eventually disbanded them.

Man of Honour
you can get glass that resists quite a few ak47 rounds before failing - its far more effective than steel

Unrelated to its bullet resistant properties I was using some 1" polycarbonate laminate panels for a project which were supposedly capable of taking IIRC up to 30 rounds of 7.62/.308 over an A4 sized area and 3 rounds within the same impact area but probably not the best material for seeing through for driving (IIRC they were intended for places like loan shops, etc.).

Caporegime
You mean like panic rooms, which are also common with the wealthy in the states.

No, not unless people in the states sleep in them every night.

Im not talking about "wealthy" people either necessarily.

What I'm talking about is the equivelant of you having a prison gate at the bottom of your stairs in your house, and heavily fortified walls (perhaps not visibly) in the rooms beyond.

Man of Honour
Yeah saw the vid, a very lucky dude to still be here is in as a good a shape as he is!!!

His description of what happened scares me - I'm level 3 trained in first aid, but not hugely practised, and I have my doubts I could have kept him alive to get to the hospital.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
SA is the one country I have no interest in ever visiting, as things like this are seen as normal, and it looks like a lawless place where anyone can do whatever they want and get away with it.

I've had a gun pointed at me in Brazil and would happily go back there.

Soldato
SA is the one country I have no interest in ever visiting, as things like this are seen as normal, and it looks like a lawless place where anyone can do whatever they want and get away with it.

Such a silly stance to take. Cape Town is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Caporegime

"the one country"? :p

Sure there are a dozen more on that list.

Caporegime

Somewhere you can break the law and get away with it. Seems like your sort of place.

Soldato
His description of what happened scares me - I'm level 3 trained in first aid, but not hugely practised, and I have my doubts I could have kept him alive to get to the hospital.

The moral of the story is not to fire ammunition of dubious provenance through what was basically a very expensive .50 cal zip gun.

Associate

I've been there twice now. It's an utterly beautiful country with a lot of problems.
If you stick to the safe areas, it's an amazing place to visit. Great nature, beautiful sights.

Back
Top Bottom