Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Soldato
The 7.5 was a must for me tbh. The little extras they added to the bodywork lifted it way above the 7 visually - it looked a lot meaner.
I'll have a look and compare some prices, seem to see some 2017/18 models with 15-20k miles for around £22-23k not completely out of the question

Associate
Thanks for all that info. Just browsing Autotrader etc makes it all a bit hard to differentiate between models, but this helps!

Just give me a shout if you need questions answering about them ;) Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the 7.5 has a 7 speed if you are looking at DSG boxes , vs the 6 speed DSG on the 7. Prolly translates to better MPG on the motorway .

Soldato
Also not sure on colour.

I think the snazzy bluey purple colour, or maybe white

Worth a watch if you're deciding between the two :-

Aesthetically I kind of prefer the MK7's exterior. Mainly as I feel the smoothed in colour coded side skirts look better than the black under sill ones of the MK7.5. To be fair though they look very similar other than the wheels in that video don't they!

In terms of tech the Mk7.5 is the marginally better car by way of having a newer 7-speed DSG (assuming you go automatic) versus the 6-speed of the MK7. Also the infotainment is far more modern on the 7.5 with it's digital instrument cluster and Apple Carplay/Android Auto infotainment support IIRC.

Obviously if you have two identical cars at the same price then you'd definitely want the Mk7.5 for the 7-speed and upgraded infotainment. Just a case of deciding how much those features are worth to you really IMO and which you prefer the aesthetics of. As said though I would judge the cars you look at by their condition, mileage and history rather than worrying too much about which specific version it is.

Last edited:
Don
A rant about my 2015 GTD...there is a rattle 'in' the dash that is making me go slightly crazy. You can only hear it when in a high gear and going slow, or just naturally when the car is more 'shaky'. I just cannot fathom where it's coming from. I'm ready to rip the dash out and create more rattles and noises. I'm not expecting anyone to know, just ranting.

Oh and the drivers side when on a motorway or cruising I can hear wind noise from the window/door but again I cannot find a gap/hole/cut in any of the lining to fix!

I really am starting to hate the car!

Associate
Well I thought it was coming from where you adjust the steering wheel height, or behind that part. Where is that located my I add? I appreciate the chances of it being the same thing are slim but I'll try anything.
I believe it is the panel that is below the steering wheel mount. I took mine to the dealers and after a drive with their technicians, they pretty much straight away knew where it was coming from.

Soldato
A rant about my 2015 GTD...there is a rattle 'in' the dash that is making me go slightly crazy. You can only hear it when in a high gear and going slow, or just naturally when the car is more 'shaky'. I just cannot fathom where it's coming from. I'm ready to rip the dash out and create more rattles and noises. I'm not expecting anyone to know, just ranting.

Oh and the drivers side when on a motorway or cruising I can hear wind noise from the window/door but again I cannot find a gap/hole/cut in any of the lining to fix!

I really am starting to hate the car!

One thing that has always driven me insane is rattles and unfortunately there is quite a few on my GTD too but I am learning to not be so particular about it.

It appears I have a similar rattle which starts when I slowly bright the clutch up to biting point and it appears to come from the Steering Column area, what are the odds on this being the loose knee airbag mounting as discussed above?

The car has VW Warranty therefore hoping to have a list of minor niggles to get put right all at once.

Soldato
:D I have a rattle inside the bit where the sunglasses compartment is - impossibly annoying but luckily it's not all of the time.

Usually just when theres someone important in the car.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I've been looking at Mk7 GTI's and some have a rimless rear view mirror and some don't, not sure if they're both dimming or not. Was there some kind of option back when they were new?

Associate
I've been looking at Mk7 GTI's and some have a rimless rear view mirror and some don't, not sure if they're both dimming or not. Was there some kind of option back when they were new?

The rimless came in the MY17 roughly 66 plate onwards. They are both dimming , the rimless one is automatic , the one with the rim you can select on or off.

Back
Top Bottom