Decorating rented house

Soldato
Actually I think your first response was this:

And you seems intent on reminding the OP that it's not his house (which it is) but whatever.
Yes because it is a waste of money to pay to decorate someone else house. Especially if you approach the landlord and explain the circumstances. Just because you rent doesn't give you the right to treat it as if it was your own, because it isn't. Discussions run over several posts.

Edit; and the main trigger for that response was the OP talking about replacing carpets of all things :p expensive and very varying in quality.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Your paying them.

At the very least the owners should be buying the paint & Carpets, this is not Europe where you can get a lifetime rental etc.

Soldato
Yes because it is a waste of money to pay to decorate someone else house.
In your opinion. If he is hoping to stay there for a long period of time, the decor truly is disastrous, the landlords agree, and he is happy to spend that money then that's his prerogative. And if all of the above is true then it's hardly a waste of money. Attitudes like yours are why you can walk the streets of any town in the UK and see some of the rentals a mile off, because scummy landlords don't bother upkeeping their properties, and don't let the tenants do anything either. I find it thoroughly depressing you can walk around London for example and see this beautiful Georgian white stucco buildings (think Kensington here) that have been left to rot and ruin by some ****hole landlords that do nothing to maintain them.

Just because you rent doesn't give you the right to treat it as if it was your own, because it isn't.
Discussion on redecorating aside, it is your home though whilst your contract is valid. Again, this is a problem especially in this country where amateur-hour landlords don't seem to grasp this.

He was talking about spending hundreds, not buying a tin of dulux.
Actually he was posting to find out "what the deal was" with redecorating. At the end of the day if he wants to spend £100s on redecorating a rental then that's his choice. He already mentioned that it was proving hard to find somewhere suitable so perhaps this is the best way of spending his money, anyway. Maybe he could find somewhere thats nicely decorated but it costs £100/month more? So whats best, him paying £1000 (I dunno) to paint and carpet a couple of rooms, or pay an extra £100/month forever and ever during his tenancy? I know which works out more expensive in the long run once he's lived there for a year...

Soldato
Actually he was posting to find out "what the deal was" with redecorating. At the end of the day if he wants to spend £100s on redecorating a rental then that's his choice. He already mentioned that it was proving hard to find somewhere suitable so perhaps this is the best way of spending his money, anyway. Maybe he could find somewhere thats nicely decorated but it costs £100/month more? So whats best, him paying £1000 (I dunno) to paint and carpet a couple of rooms, or pay an extra £100/month forever and ever during his tenancy? I know which works out more expensive in the long run once he's lived there for a year...

Doesn't work like that in reality. Take two identical houses, if one has nicer paint it doesnt carry a £100/month premium.

Soldato
Doesn't work like that in reality. Take two identical houses, if one has nicer paint it doesnt carry a £100/month premium.
Depends on the local market really. If you're talking London flats or purpose-built blocks in the south then the difference would probably be much more. If you're talking whole houses for rent in a market upwards of £1000 per month then I also don't see why not? :confused:

Soldato
In your opinion. If he is hoping to stay there for a long period of time, the decor truly is disastrous, the landlords agree, and he is happy to spend that money then that's his prerogative. And if all of the above is true then it's hardly a waste of money. Attitudes like yours are why you can walk the streets of any town in the UK and see some of the rentals a mile off, because scummy landlords don't bother upkeeping their properties, and don't let the tenants do anything either. I find it thoroughly depressing you can walk around London for example and see this beautiful Georgian white stucco buildings (think Kensington here) that have been left to rot and ruin by some ****hole landlords that do nothing to maintain them.

Discussion on redecorating aside, it is your home though whilst your contract is valid. Again, this is a problem especially in this country where amateur-hour landlords don't seem to grasp this.

Blaming the state of rentals on the tenants for not being able to pick up the slack from landlords? I think you've got yourself in a bit of a mind spaghetti :cry:

And I'd love to see a flat that with a coat of paint gets an extra £100/mo :cry: What are you smoking?

Soldato
There’s some very black and white views here!

I’ve rented to the same tenants for about 10 years and if you have a good relationship some give and take is good to have. My tenants have done some of their own painting, replaced a carpet due to dog mess which they could easily have ignored, they’ve done the garden up and probably a few other things I’ve forgotten about. I’ve let them give away my sofa so they could buy their own, changed my mind on pets, not put the rent up since day 1 and when the boiler packed in it was less than 24hrs before a new one was fitted inc a nest controller to make life easy as the boiler is in the loft.

If the tenant was a pita or expected me to do everything or didn’t tell me when they were doing things, I don’t think I’d be quite so amenable. It’s fair enough if people want a cold relationship with their landlord because they expect to move on but not everyone is like that.

Maybe it’s more of a northern thing where rental is perhaps more of a long term thing?

Back
Top Bottom