The last game you completed, and rating (Console Edition)

Man of Honour
LOL, but it's good to know that the games will be playable for a good while longer on an Xbox console. When I get rid of my PS3, that's it. Can't play the first two games again. Unless they get a new remaster just before the launch of Dragon Age IV. Here's hoping.

I’m only kidding, as I know a lot of people enjoy achievements, but I always found chasing them to detract from enjoying the game or preventing you from moving onto the next great experience once a game has run its natural course.

In this case you miss the graphics and frame rate updates and it costs you time wasted with loading just for a symbol that no one else will ever look at.

Soldato
I’m only kidding, as I know a lot of people enjoy achievements, but I always found chasing them to detract from enjoying the game or preventing you from moving onto the next great experience once a game has run its natural course.

In this case you miss the graphics and frame rate updates and it costs you time wasted with loading just for a symbol that no one else will ever look at.

Yeah agree with this to a degree. Often they will be really boring tasks like collect 100 pieces of litter.
Well designed trophies imo are ones that you are likely to come across organically as you play. Not go out of your way for.
Sometimes though they make you think of different ways to approach something in game you may not have thought of.

Man of Honour
Yeah agree with this to a degree. Often they will be really boring tasks like collect 100 pieces of litter.
Well designed trophies imo are ones that you are likely to come across organically as you play. Not go out of your way for.
Sometimes though they make you think of different ways to approach something in game you may not have thought of.

My only real issue with achievements are the multiplayer ones that ruin team games.

Caporegime
I always found chasing them to detract from enjoying the game or preventing you from moving onto the next great experience once a game has run its natural course.

I do have limits, I'm unlikely to go chasing after collectibles unless I have nothing else I'm eager to play next. But I might play on a harder difficulty than I usually would, for example.

As for the Dragon Age games, there are no improvements to graphics or frame rate on Xbox Series consoles for those games. They are not enhanced beyond the original 720p30 (for the first two) and 900p30 for Inquisition.

Soldato
Gears 5
8/10

Really enjoyed this, having not played a gears game in many years, the story was a bit confusing (even though i did watch some YT video recaps). Will keep it installed to play Hivebusters.

Stunning on the XSX.

Soldato
Spider man - Miles Morales

I'm going with a 7/10 due to it of course being fairly short.

If it had more content I'd actually rate it above the remake.

Although short the story was decent with no irritating side characters and their stealth sections, enjoyed Miles story more than Peters.

Hhhmmm what next?

Soldato
Not to derail the thread too much, but since I've taken notice of the Xbox achievement popup, and noticing the % of players who have unlocked the same one, it's actually quite shocking how little people actually complete a game. As a game dev, that would really **** me off.

Take my gears of war example above, only 20% completed the campaign on any difficulty.

Associate
The Outer Worlds - XSX
Rating - 8/10

Finally finished this. When first it came out I windmilled straight in and over did it and have been picking away at it ever since. This is more my nature than the game itself as I do it with all openworld-esque games. I picked it up again once it received the FPS update. Like playing a different game, I always thought it was unique with it's bright colours and 'Alien' looking plants and creatures but the extra performance really made it feel fantastic. Almost worth replaying it. The summary of my actions and decisions at the end was welcome as most games do not do this. Thoroughly enjoyed and worth a play through if you like Fallout New vegas or enjoy story RPG style games. There is some good humour in there and the ability to go totally against the grain.

I think I may grab the DLC and load an old save prior to the final mission so I can play them through. There are some elements of the game which could do with being fleshed out or improved upon. Consumables and all seem very samey, although some are pretty powerful there really is too much descriptor text. I think a simple visual key or legend would be more appropriate.

That said for me it is probably the best 'day one download' from GP I have ever had thus far.

Soldato
Gears of War: Hivebusters

9/10

Jaw droppingly stunning, short and punchy, scored it a little higher than the main game because of the two aforementioned points.

Soldato
Spider man - Miles Morales

I'm going with a 7/10 due to it of course being fairly short.

If it had more content I'd actually rate it above the remake.

Although short the story was decent with no irritating side characters and their stealth sections, enjoyed Miles story more than Peters.

Hhhmmm what next?

How long would you say the main quest line is? Recently started myself and tbh a shorter game would do favours for me.

I'm skipping all the generic collectable side stuff.

I like it so far for the most part. I don't think Miles voice matches the look/age of his character though I hear the Voice actor has done miles in other media before.

It looks alright, I don't think it's a ps5 show case or anything. Just looks how I remember the last game looking at the time. Obviously there's more to it than that. Performance mode is essential. I tried fidelity and it felt bad and not worth it

Soldato
How long would you say the main quest line is? Recently started myself and tbh a shorter game would do favours for me.

I'm skipping all the generic collectable side stuff.

I like it so far for the most part. I don't think Miles voice matches the look/age of his character though I hear the Voice actor has done miles in other media before.

It looks alright, I don't think it's a ps5 show case or anything. Just looks how I remember the last game looking at the time. Obviously there's more to it than that. Performance mode is essential. I tried fidelity and it felt bad and not worth it

Not very long, it feels more like a extra long mission than a stand alone game. If you actually stop and look it's much better looking but the devil is in the details, usually you are moving at some speed so won't notice most of it.

I had it in the hybrid mode, so 60fps with some ray tracing.

Man of Honour
I finished Alan Wake and the DLC, just in time for it to leave Game Pass.

It's a great game, I really enjoyed my time with it although the scares dropped off about 1/3 the way through and it became more of a thriller.

An 8.8/10 for me, better story telling and gameplay compared to the Last of Us, and I'm looking forward to trying Quantum Break now.

Soldato
Not very long, it feels more like a extra long mission than a stand alone game. If you actually stop and look it's much better looking but the devil is in the details, usually you are moving at some speed so won't notice most of it.

I had it in the hybrid mode, so 60fps with some ray tracing.

Yeah totally agree. I think that's why I'd always opt out of the fidelity modes as in moment to moment game play you can't really see it but you can feel the reduction it brings to the frame rate.

It's a looker either way just not a big jump but I wasn't expecting it to be tbh as it's also got to work on PS4

Soldato

It's a great game, I really enjoyed my time with it although the scares dropped off about 1/3 the way through and it became more of a thriller.

An 8.8/10 for me, better story telling and gameplay compared to the Last of Us, and I'm looking forward to trying Quantum Break now.

When does it leave GP, I never did finish it. I thought exclusive games stayed permanently on GP?

Caporegime
When does it leave GP, I never did finish it. I thought exclusive games stayed permanently on GP?

Alan Wake should be gone tomorrow. It's not strictly a first party game as it was only published by Microsoft, developed by Remedy. However, I am really surprised that this game is leaving GP. I thought it would have stayed there forever.

Caporegime

I've actually got a bit bored with Alan Wake, mid episode 4. So there's two more episodes to go but it's not going to get finished by tomorrow. Quantum Break is really excellent, much better than Alan Wake, I think.

Man of Honour
I've actually got a bit bored with Alan Wake, mid episode 4. So there's two more episodes to go but it's not going to get finished by tomorrow. Quantum Break is really excellent, much better than Alan Wake, I think.

That’s the worst chapter. 5, 6, and particularly the 2 DLC chapters are the best.

Back
Top Bottom