• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090FE - changing Thermal pads

Associate
OP
i wouldnt waste my warranty for the sake of running it cooler if there was any chance it will break in a few years and be rejected, you dont think they will bother to look but i doubt it costs a lot to take a card to pieces and then they save the money on replacement by declining your rma

its the reason i have no interest in a founders model cause its a hairdrying egg fryer

Hopefully ill never need to find out. :)

And take a look around, most 3080/3090 cards suffer with very high VRAM temp.
The FE was not my first choice either, but its the easiest card to get in the current climate.

The cooler is actually very good, the core is never above 70. Usually stays mid-60s. Its just the thermal pads are junk.

Soldato
As I said, when I was younger, I wouldn't think twice about changing a GPUs stock cooler. Even reverted a card to its stock cooler for RMA.
Yet now, I am hesitant.

Age has nothing to do with it. Stock availability is the issue. Saying that someone in another thread sent a 3080FE back and I think it took less than 14 days and it went to Hong Kong if I recall.

Its down to personal preference whether you change them but I dont think I need to plus my warranty is safely intact 100%.

Associate
OP
Age has nothing to do with it. Stock availability is the issue. Saying that someone in another thread sent a 3080FE back and I think it took less than 14 days and it went to Hong Kong if I recall.

Its down to personal preference whether you change them but I dont think I need to plus my warranty is safely intact 100%.

Yea I have heard the RMA turn arounds are not as bad as you might think. I believe some stock is specifically kept aside for RMA purposes.

My issue is the strive for silence...
My last build was basically silent at all loads. This one is silent at idle, but some games (old ones odly, like GTa V) the 3090fe fans will go to 1600rpm as soon as the VRAM temp hits 104.
Then it cools down (even just to 102) and the fans calm down back to 1300. (Which is still noisy, but much more tolerable)
If I had my 1st choice card Id have got a Suprim X... but in this climate you take what you can get!

Associate
Thanks for detailed post! Is that a FE card you modded?

In the video on the article I linked above, the guy does not appear to change the core thermal paste at all. I wasnt sure if thats a good idea?

It's an FE card, yes.

As for the core paste, personally I would change it to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or something like that. Technically liquid metal would give you the best temps but then you'd have to deal with a conductive material, which probably isn't worth the risk/hassle to you (and we're only talking a couple degrees difference at most under air cooling).

However, the more extensively you do this the more questions arise regarding warranty. Some Nvidia reps say it's fine, some say you'll void warranty. IMO if you carefully changed the pads using the right thicknesses and omitting no presently cooled areas, then I think they would likely accept an RMA if it was a totally different failure. But mileage may vary and the more you do (i.e. change the front pads and not just the backplate) the more unclear the warranty situation is. For me that's not a consideration since I modded the card anyway.

In the end the FE has no 'warranty void' stickers (I know it's not legally binding but still) and if you do the pads carefully, chances are they'd still accept it. Repadding everything and putting Kryonaut on the core would save some temps and thereby some fan noise.

Associate
I went ahead and replaced the pads this morning (backside only). Was quick and easy! the hardest part was trying to pull off one of the magnetic covers as none of my tapes were strong enough lol.
Temps have reduced by 10C. I am now happy for it to mine through the warmer days. Saying that another couple month and I would have paid off the card so even if it were to break down technically I would not be out off pocket of RMA was declined.

Associate
OP
I went ahead and replaced the pads this morning (backside only). Was quick and easy! the hardest part was trying to pull off one of the magnetic covers as none of my tapes were strong enough lol.
Temps have reduced by 10C. I am now happy for it to mine through the warmer days. Saying that another couple month and I would have paid off the card so even if it were to break down technically I would not be out off pocket of RMA was declined.

Which pads did you use?

I just ordered 5x packets of the GELID Xtreme for £40 delivered. I plan to just do the backside to begin with and see how I go. But have more than enough to do the front, and possibly re-do them if I mess anything up.
As said, I dont mine and just want the thing silent when gaming.
As long as I can get the temp below 100, ill be fine. It seems that once the temp hits 102, the fans go crazy.

So a 10 degree drop would be perfect. Take me to low 90s, which should keep it nice and quiet :)

Associate
Which pads did you use?

I just ordered 5x packets of the GELID Xtreme for £40 delivered. I plan to just do the backside to begin with and see how I go. But have more than enough to do the front, and possibly re-do them if I mess anything up.
As said, I dont mine and just want the thing silent when gaming.
As long as I can get the temp below 100, ill be fine. It seems that once the temp hits 102, the fans go crazy.

So a 10 degree drop would be perfect. Take me to low 90s, which should keep it nice and quiet :)

I used the: Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x1.5mm
Bought 2 for almost £30, but that was delivered next day. Could have probably got it a lot cheaper from China?
Prior to this I had my temps hitting 100c constant. But that was with a heatsink and fan sitting on top of the card. Now I have the new pads and the heatsink and fan still on top. Running all day today and temp stayed pretty much on 90c, went up to 92 briefly when my mrs decide to put the fan heater on next to the pc :/
I run the card on 75% power as I don't like to keep my fan running too high. Currently they are fan1 65%/fan2 50%

Associate
OP
I used the: Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x1.5mm
Bought 2 for almost £30, but that was delivered next day. Could have probably got it a lot cheaper from China?
Prior to this I had my temps hitting 100c constant. But that was with a heatsink and fan sitting on top of the card. Now I have the new pads and the heatsink and fan still on top. Running all day today and temp stayed pretty much on 90c, went up to 92 briefly when my mrs decide to put the fan heater on next to the pc :/
I run the card on 75% power as I don't like to keep my fan running too high. Currently they are fan1 65%/fan2 50%

Ok sounds like a great result.

How are the temps when you game ? Do you put the card to stock clocks/fan curve then?

Associate
Ok sounds like a great result.

How are the temps when you game ? Do you put the card to stock clocks/fan curve then?

I haven't really noticed very high temps whilst gaming to be honest, I only played FSM2021 fully maxed out so far and the other games I play do not really push the card very far.

Associate
OP
I have read several times that 2 packs were enough. ;)

Looks like ill have 3 spare then :cry:

I haven't really noticed very high temps whilst gaming to be honest, I only played FSM2021 fully maxed out so far and the other games I play do not really push the card very far.

For me, oddly its the older games. Like GTA V. As soon as a cut-scene comes on, the mem temp hits 102-104, and fans go crazy.
Once playing again, temps usually drop below 100, fans go back down to normal.
Core never goes above 67~ regardless of mem temp or game.

Associate
OP
This.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/n1f4sr/taming_the_3090_fe_vram_temps_part_2_gelid/

1.5mm Gelid Extreme on GPU Core side
1.5mm Gelid Extreme on backplate if using stock shunts. 2.0mm Gelid Extreme if using soldered stacked shunt mod (clearance issues).
Thermal Paste: Thermalright TFX, Thermalright TF8, Kryonaut Extreme, Coolermaster Gel Maker Nano, Arctic MX-5.

Yep saw that post, which prompted me to go for the Gelid Extreme's instead of the Thermalright Odessy. Especially when they are half the cost.

Hopefully have the pads coming this week. Will start off with just the backplate. If thats enough to keep the temps below 100, ill leave it there.
If not, ill get some thermal paste too and re-do the core side.

Thermalright TFX the best on that list?

Soldato
Slight Necro here.
2 questions, Anyone used Arctic pads for this?
And I have read from one guy with 2 3090Fe's that his newer one ran around 10c cooler than the original. Have Nvidia addressed this issue?

Permabanned
Goodbye warranty ;)

Nvidia have not addressed the issue. They see it as having no issue because the card throttles at like 110c to prevent damage anyway. And if you are gaming you would never pass 105c max.

The new batch of GPUs are all the same temps as the old ones.

Soldato
It's a risk but if you plan on keeping the card long term probably worth it in my opinion. It could be the difference between it dying after 3 years or not

Back
Top Bottom