• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3080 Owners Thread

Associate
4 layers of Gelid Solutions GP Ultimate 0.5mm (so 2mm total) is the best solution I have found to date for memory pads (on Rog Strix OC and Gigabyte Xtreme at least). This is mentioned above.

Is there a reason why people often suggest so many layers? The Gelid pads (and basically all others) are available in 1mm thickness, wouldn't just buying two packs of those be better? Or even better, buying a single layer of 2mm pads?

I've always assumed there's a good reason, but don't know it!

ps; people often recommend the Thermalright Extreme Odyssey pads too.

Associate
Is there a reason why people often suggest so many layers? The Gelid pads (and basically all others) are available in 1mm thickness, wouldn't just buying two packs of those be better? Or even better, buying a single layer of 2mm pads?

Well if the ultimate is available in 1mm then 2 x 1mm. I didn't see that when i looked. It congeals so it doesn't matter how many layers. Anyway you need 2mm depth for memory pads on the 2 cards I have done and I believe that's typical.

And yes but they are not as good I believe but are cheaper.

Permabanned
Ultimate is available in up to 2mm but harder to find, I have 1.0 and 1.5mm kits from doing the 1080Ti and Titan Xp (2017) I sold.

If you want thicker you need to lower down to Extreme

IMO 2mm is the ideal size for the 3000 series VRAM but it depends if the pads are soft/hard hence Igor stuck 3mm on his (assume soft).

Associate
Just buy an Rog Strix or a Gigabyte Xtreme and have no need for water cooling. The benefits vs cost and space are quantum.

I mean, you have no 'need' for anything more than the stock cooler on the FE really. Anything more is just that - more.

I really don't think you can suggest either of those cards as replacements for a watercooling loop.

Associate
Hi All,

I have a strange issue with my Aorus Xtreme.
For some reason it doesnt take power from the first power connector:
479733_nopower.jpg

It stuck at 80% power limit, and the power consumption doesn't go up even a bit by extending the power limit to 121%.

I've tried with the ReBAR bios and the original bios. I changed power cables and also swapped them over.. Different drivers, etc.
I inspected power connectors looking for bent or pushed-in pins or burns but everything looks fine.
Most games crash unless I lower the core clock by 30MHz... So it is a problem in this form (although the 300W consumption is very appealing).
I'm waiting Gigabyte Support's response now.

Do you think something went wrong inside the card? RMA?

RMA the card.
There's something wrong internally that you can't fix.

It's detecting 0W from 8 pin #1 and "drawing" part of the missing watts from GPU Chip Power. GPU Chip Power can never be 261W at 300W of total board power. Even on a 520W card, you would be unlucky to have GPU Chip Power exceed 230W.
It appears to be signaling a power limit (you can view this NOT in GPU-Z but in Hwinfo64) via "TDP Normalized %", due to the GPU Chip Power exceeding its max limit (if you look at the old discontinued Ampere Bios Editor, you will see a "default" and a "maximum" value for multiple internal power rails, including GPU Chip Power). Note that the "SRC" power limits control the maximum draw from the 8 pin connectors, not the 8 pin limits themselves shown in the bios dump.

These cards have power balancing done internally. We've already seen shunt modded FE cards where users didn't shunt the PCIE Slot Power shunt (because they're afraid of overloading the slot even though it's impossible to overload on air cooling unless there's a fuse on the slot shunt), and skipping the PCIE Slot Shunt mod caused MVDDC (Memory power draw) to skyrocket to 230W and throw a throttle flag (obviously the memory wasn't really using this much).

Anyway, that card is RMA time.

Soldato

Well if the ultimate is available in 1mm then 2 x 1mm. I didn't see that when i looked. It congeals so it doesn't matter how many layers. Anyway you need 2mm depth for memory pads on the 2 cards I have done and I believe that's typical.

And yes but they are not as good I believe but are cheaper.

Ultimate is available in up to 2mm but harder to find, I have 1.0 and 1.5mm kits from doing the 1080Ti and Titan Xp (2017) I sold.

If you want thicker you need to lower down to Extreme

IMO 2mm is the ideal size for the 3000 series VRAM but it depends if the pads are soft/hard hence Igor stuck 3mm on his (assume soft).

We've got multiple threads on this issue now (which when I argued keep it in one place got the "uhhh too much other stuff to go through nada nada nada") but have a look at this, it applies to the 3090 but could apply to the 3080 too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/n1f4sr/taming_the_3090_fe_vram_temps_part_2_gelid/

1.5mm Gelid Extreme on GPU Core side
1.5mm Gelid Extreme on backplate if using stock shunts. 2.0mm Gelid Extreme if using soldered stacked shunt mod (clearance issues).
Thermal Paste: Thermalright TFX, Thermalright TF8, Kryonaut Extreme, Coolermaster Gel Maker Nano, Arctic MX-5.

If you read the reddit thread pay attention where it says to go for the Extreme pads over the Ultimate ones.

Also I think there is something weird going on with my undervolt. Before the 466 drivers it was working fine but now it seems to be ignoring my undervolt and running the card at default. Been playing AC Valhalla and I`m getting core at 1980mhz and my card is hitting 80c and its not lowering the Watts. I've reset my Afterburner settings to default just to see if it changes my figures but not had chance to play it again to test.

Associate
[QUOTE="varkanoid, post: 34765588, member: 66226"
If you read the reddit thread pay attention where it says to go for the Extreme pads over the Ultimate ones.
[/QUOTE]

Based on assumption rather than testing:

"I wouldn't suggest Gelid Ultimate pads as they are harder than Extremes, but according to another person on overclock.net, even the Ultimate pads are more compressible than the Odyssey pads but less soft than the Extreme pads."

Ultimate have higher thermal conductivity so are intrinsically better. And they dont "compress" at all. But they do squidge out the side like bluetack and surround the memory chip so are ideal for this.

Back
Top Bottom