Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
interesting broadcast on the new coffee variety , that they reckon may rejuvinate sierea leone production Coffea Stenophylla
up until now we use just 2 of the 130 odd varieties, but they're looking for varieties that will survive global warming, apparently its like Rwandan high altitude arabica.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v9c9 >=10"

James Hoffman has some thoughts about this after he acquired a sample.

Soldato
took the plunge on some glasses - melitta 80ml's double wall, amazon, after price drop
impressed - I can see the crema, so, asthetically pleasing,
+ much lighter than porcelain/featherweight, & can see how much you've drunk, & remember to finish last sip.
+ secure to grip
+ with lower heat capacity, I'll probably stop 2 (spaced) cooling shots to warm up the cups, saving water/caco3 build up.
- had to re-purpose the saucers from porcelain cups - they fit.
- always hand wash cups anyway, but they a probably more fragile, so I'll take more care.

Need to look up how they mold them

51147996886_c6f575ea76_o_d.jpg

Soldato
That looks like a nice glass, may order some as we've been after some clear espresso glasses.

We are running dangerously low on the the last our of Wogan's Brazilian Mio Microlot. Gutted.

Hopefully have a surprise delivery from Blind Owl tomorrow if not I may have to resort to some store off the shelf beans. My own fault for poor planning

Soldato
Probably asked a million times but what weight do you guys put in an Aeropress? I make an americano with milk, using the inverted method with 60sec brew. Used to aim for 18g but has now crept up to regularly over 20g. Is 17-18g the magic number?

Soldato
took the plunge on some glasses - melitta 80ml's double wall, amazon, after price drop
still in new cup honeymoon - can also put chocolate next to cup without it melting.

I'm now wondering now what an asthetic double walled would be for cappucino , where a more bowled cup for milk art would seem best,
but the melitta ones have straight walls ?
the porcelain fracino ones I have https://www.fracino.com/cups.html suck all the heat out of the drink.

Man of Honour
OP
Probably asked a million times but what weight do you guys put in an Aeropress? I make an americano with milk, using the inverted method with 60sec brew. Used to aim for 18g but has now crept up to regularly over 20g. Is 17-18g the magic number?

Have you not been watching the Hoffman Aeropress series? He's recommending 55g per litre on a light to medium roast coffee so:
11g coffee to 200g water, no inversion, 2 min brew - gentle swirl, 30 second wait, full press through in about 30seconds.

on a side note looking forward to his £1500ish machine review, looks like the maraX is in there :D

Soldato
I think Wogan is my new favourite roastery, prices are very very good for the quality, and I love that they do 500g bags. 250g is too small to dial in without wasting a big chunk, and 1kg is too much! Shame that Mio's Microlot is gone :'(

Saying that, yesterday I pulled an espresso with the last of my Tobacco Road blend from 47 Degrees....I'd previously been having it filter, but wow, what an incredible shot...so many flavours, loved it!

Soldato
Have you not been watching the Hoffman Aeropress series? He's recommending 55g per litre on a light to medium roast coffee so:
11g coffee to 200g water, no inversion, 2 min brew - gentle swirl, 30 second wait, full press through in about 30seconds.
So, I've just tried this and it's lovely. My only issue is my coffee mugs are more like 300ml. But you can only fit what, 200ml in an AP? So trying his method I'm left with half a mug of coffee :(

Any way to use his method and dilute to 300ml ish? I'm guessing simply upping the weight of beans wouldnt work... Call me a heathen for having a big cup of joe if you like :p

Caporegime
So, I've just tried this and it's lovely. My only issue is my coffee mugs are more like 300ml. But you can only fit what, 200ml in an AP? So trying his method I'm left with half a mug of coffee :(

Any way to use his method and dilute to 300ml ish? I'm guessing simply upping the weight of beans wouldnt work... Call me a heathen for having a big cup of joe if you like :p

Just increase the weight by 20%, pour into cup, top up each equally and then taste.

Soldato
Just increase the weight by 20%, pour into cup, top up each equally and then taste.
Sorry, why 20%? If it's 11g per 200ml then it'd be 16.5g per 300ml right? Are you suggesting brewing 16.5g in 200ml, then topping up the remaining 100ml with hot water in my mug? Would that be the same as brewing 16.5g directly into 300ml? I'm guessing not.. :confused:

Soldato
For my AP, I use about 18g and fill water to in between the 3-4 marker. I am using a 450ml mug, normally fills it maybe 2/3rds then just top it up with more hot water from the kettle.

I might get out the small scales tomorrow and weigh it properly just to see :D

Caporegime
Sorry, why 20%? If it's 11g per 200ml then it'd be 16.5g per 300ml right? Are you suggesting brewing 16.5g in 200ml, then topping up the remaining 100ml with hot water in my mug? Would that be the same as brewing 16.5g directly into 300ml? I'm guessing not.. :confused:

lol I knew someone would pick on the 20%, I just picked a rough figure out of my head, my point was just scale it up (I’ll leave you to work out the math).

Soldato
ok, re-up time and with all the Wogan love going down in here i'll have to give them a go - what are people's recommendations? (that are in stock :p)

I have the Peruvian Cafe Fermenino, and Costa Rican Tarrazú Dota Hermosa Honey arriving today, plus some decaf, will let you know :)

Previously had the Mio's Microlot which was wonderful, but out of stock now. The Kenyan Peaberry is a lovely smooth filter coffee, but I didn't try pulling espresso with it. The Colombian La Laguna Reserva is fine, but a bit plain compared to the others.

Soldato
lol I knew someone would pick on the 20%, I just picked a rough figure out of my head, my point was just scale it up (I’ll leave you to work out the math).
Heh I wasn't nitpicking the maths, just wondering if brewing 16.5g in 200ml water then adding a further 100ml top up - is the same as brewing directly into 300ml. I guess it's the best I can do though right..

Caporegime
Heh I wasn't nitpicking the maths, just wondering if brewing 16.5g in 200ml water then adding a further 100ml top up - is the same as brewing directly into 300ml. I guess it's the best I can do though right..

All I would say is, don't let the math be the sticking point, let your tongue do the math if that make sense. On a V60 I use a scoop, sometimes just my hands to measure out some beans into the grinder. I just judge it by eye, if it's too strong, put more water at the end, if it's too weak...drink faster. lol

Back
Top Bottom