PC Components that last >10-years

Soldato
OP
your lucky

We had 70 Servers running with Corsair HX850 running at 400W 24/7 inside a 20C A/C evironment (no downtime other than reboots)
- 2 years - 10 died
- 3 years - 30 died
- 5 years - 30 died

the only bad thing to happen to them was a few power cuts, but NOt great stats, decent but not great.
That must have been one bad batch. MY HX850 has run various top-end CPU's & GPU's, including SLI & Crossfire configs (when that was fashionable), daily for the past 11-years without issue. My two old 5870's must have pulled 500-600W by themselves.

The only components that have ever failed me were a Powercolor HD4850 and several hard disks. The Powercolor failure was most-probably caused by me pencil-modding and overclocking the nuts out of it. It set an air-cooled MHz WR at the time.

Soldato
That must have been one bad batch. MY HX850 has run various top-end CPU's & GPU's, including SLI & Crossfire configs (when that was fashionable), daily for the past 11-years without issue. My two old 5870's must have pulled 500-600W by themselves.

The only components that have ever failed me were a Powercolor HD4850 and several hard disks. The Powercolor failure was most-probably caused by me pencil-modding and overclocking the nuts out of it. It set an air-cooled MHz WR at the time.
sure but Daily vs 24/7 @ constant 400W is very different. its a very different test of stablity vs on/off Daily for 11 years.

Associate
12yr old 27" 1080p LG monitor/tv.
Used in the following order.
Pc at home
Tv in kids room
Pc at work.
Now sat in the garage next to a 6 year old 1440p monitor doing nowt.

Soldato
We had 70 Servers running with Corsair HX850 running at 400W 24/7 inside a 20C A/C evironment (no downtime other than reboots)
- 2 years - 10 died
- 3 years - 30 died
- 5 years - 30 died

the only bad thing to happen to them was a few power cuts, but NOt great stats, decent but not great.
Did those have fans running or were they in that passive mode?
While ambient isn't warm, without fan running there could be hot spots inside PSU.

Associate
Still running a 2012 Ivybridge CPU and the DDR 3 Ram that I got with the build. Everything else has been replaced.
Mobo failure, power supply failure ect.
I know this, if I was to do a rebuild I would not use a 10 year old PSU to power it.
It might look and feel solid but it has seen a lot of use and I wouldn't risk it failing and taking out my new build.

Associate
if I was to do a rebuild I would not use a 10 year old PSU to power it.
It might look and feel solid but it has seen a lot of use and I wouldn't risk it failing and taking out my new build.

Is there really a risk of this though? I did just a new build and I've re-used my 10-year old Corsair AX750. Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't it the case that most of the time, even if a PSU fails, it does it gently?

Associate
Is there really a risk of this though? I did just a new build and I've re-used my 10-year old Corsair AX750. Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't it the case that most of the time, even if a PSU fails, it does it gently?

The only PSU I’ve ever had fail was one of those generic (250w?) ones you used to get in cheapo beige cases, years ago. It was powering a PC loaded with the usual gubbins plus graphics card, about 6 HDDs, fans, everything. It soldiered on for ages like that, encoding videos, running at full throttle until one day it popped. My room used to be warm with the heat of that Pc, but when I arrived home from work it was suspiciously cold... and quiet.

One of the large capacitors inside the PSU seemed to have exploded. End result was a stick of RAM wouldn’t work ever again. Everything else was fine. YMMV.

Associate
The idea of a PSU is to provide stable power. An old failing PSU can and will damage your components. Why spend money (usually a lot of money) and not put a little into the power source?

I upgraded my GPU last year. System was rock solid until the upgrade. Then kept crasing in games.
Put in my old GPU same issue.
Putting a little extra work onto a old PSU was enough to make it fail under load.
I got a new PSU and the system is running normally once more.

I read somewhere a long while ago that you should expect the efficency of a PSU to drop about 10% a year. I would imagine that is worse case but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Associate
I still have 2 9800gt's i had in sli back in 2008. Both work fine but it was at this time i found out sli was no good for increasing total vram :( Still lasted me 2 years until my first pc build with a gtx 570 (850mhz) in december 2010 and that still works in my 7 year olds pc for roblox high 1080p with a q6600 (3ghz) all connected to an msi p6n sli v2 mobo :)

Soldato
My original first generation Noctua NH-U12F which I bought in 2007 to cool my Core2Duo and I've used it ever since getting all the different fittings sent to me free of charge from Noctua, I only retired it from my main system this year actually as I just needed more cooling capacity than it could offer so I replaced it with a 280mm AIO, but it's still in use in my second system and will be for many years to come I expect. I have replaced the original fan on it with a newer Noctua 120mm as the original which was a different design to the modern ones and suffered bearing failure years ago. I think 14 years and still going is about as good as it gets for a PC part now really.

Last edited:
Associate
Antec 550W semi modular PSU still in use and only up until recently, a reliable Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ that still works. Only swapped not long ago to 3TB WDs.
Some screws in PC go back to / from the Lian-Li PC-60B Plus case! :D

Man of Honour
I remember when Gibbo moved to ‘another place’ I ordered about 4K of stuff from his new (now old) place. I then had to send most of it back after blowing it up. GPU, CPU, Mobo, Memory, PSU. My talents have not really improved since then which is why OCUK locks the doors when they hear me parking I think.

or is it the BO

Back
Top Bottom