Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
The way Formula 2 does it works well I think, albeit they have 2 sprints and a feature.

Friday qualifying sets your grid slot for both the first sprint and the feature race, the additional entertainment/interest coming from the fact that the first sprint (offering less points) reverses the grid order for the top 10.

So the sprint has a nice mixed up grid, as everyone still wants to qualify fastest for the main feature race.

They're happy to acknowledge that the sprints are simply additional races though, whereas F1 have for some reason decided they can't possibly call it a race in case it detracts from the feature race.

Transmission breaker
Don
There is no need to stop since there is no need to use two different compounds. Why would the midfield teams be faster in qualifying to get pole in the sprint race and then do something with it, when they can't even match the top teams in Q2 when the top teams are usually on a slower tyre.

It's a good point, but so much will still depend on how well they manage for Qually setup after only 1 session. :D I think driver experience/skill with setup will be MUCH more important when there is so little practice before a competitive session.

Soldato
I suspect it will be interesting for the first few races but the teams will quickly work out the optimum way to approach the format and how to react to other peoples strategies and nullify them like they do now.

I'd be extremely surprised if they hadn't already simulated it to be honest...

Soldato
Indeed. I expect the simulations are built on real wold data which they don’t have yet so they may not be entirely accurate just yet or account for alternative strategies.

Associate
Quite a good "Beyond the Grid" F1 Podcast this week with Paddy Lowe with a great breadth of stories across his involvement in F1. Its also available as a podcast.

Generally enjoy the interviews on this channel so well worth subscribing!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Quite a good "Beyond the Grid" F1 Podcast this week with Paddy Lowe with a great breadth of stories across his involvement in F1. Its also available as a podcast.

Generally enjoy the interviews on this channel so well worth subscribing!

He's doing the rounds, it seems. This article is also pretty good reading https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/28...des-to-run-dominant-2014-engine-in-idle-mode/

“But I think as we got to the first test, certainly into the second test, it became more clear that some others were in desperate disarray, mentioning no names, and that we were in reasonably good shape.

“Then we came with another upgrade in the Bahrain test, which was literally a bolt-on extra that was suddenly another seven or eight tenths in horsepower. That was an enormous day. And we knew at that point that we were in some quite special territory.”

“It was exciting but you had other stresses,” he said. “So imagine the scene: You’ve got Toto and the board of Daimler who are worried about the negative politics of looking too good.”
“The debate would then be how much to turn the engine up for Q3. I’d be getting it in the ear from Toto: ‘That’s too much, that’s too much’. And I’m thinking, ‘but if we don’t get pole, we’ll look like a right bunch of mugs’.

“So what number to pick that would do the job and knowing you didn’t want to err on the wrong way? So that was a big part of the discussion on Saturday afternoon. Nice chat to have.”

“Actually that went on quite a long time,” he added. “Through most of 2014, that engine was never on full power for qualifying.”

Associate
He's doing the rounds, it seems

From memory, I think most (if not all) of those are direct quotes from the Podcast so I think quite a few of these articles that have been appearing in last couple of days were off the back of some of the soundbites from the interview. None the less, a good listen and a good read! :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

From memory, I think most (if not all) of those are direct quotes from the Podcast so I think quite a few of these articles that have been appearing in last couple of days were off the back of some of the soundbites from the interview. None the less, a good listen and a good read! :)
I like the Beyond the Grid podcast, it's always fascinating when they get an engineer on. I suspect you're right about them regurgitating the soundbites though!

Associate
it's always fascinating when they get an engineer on

Yeah, agreed there. Sheds a lot of light on the technical side of F1 rather then just the drivers point of view and not necessarily stuff that gets covered in the normal F1 pre-race . "The Brackley Boys" was a standout a few weeks ago and a while back John Barnard is well worth re-visiting if you haven't listened to them.

Soldato
Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Grosjean has been allowed to test a 2019 Mercedes after Toto felt that his goodbye from F1 wasn’t how it should have been. Epic.

Back
Top Bottom