Groupon - Junk?

Soldato
Does anyone actually still use Groupon, or has it now become a site flogging off cheap junk which is marked down in price?

I actually bought a Groupon voucher for an escape room last year, but with attractions having to close due to the pandemic, the voucher got refunded but only as Groupon credits - seems they take quite a fixed stance on this with a number of negative reviews about not being able to be refunded back in cash.

Anyway, it's been nearly a year on and my Groupon credits expire tomorrow, so i thought i'd have a look at what goods they seem to sell on there and buy some stuff rather than just letting them go to waste. But the amount of **** they seem to sell on there makes me wonder whether anyone actually uses it anymore.

Has anyone purchased anything worthy on there?

Soldato
Don't really go on Groupon very often, but I get the emails as I have bought from them before and oddly its one of the best online purchases I've ever made. 3 and a half years ago I bought a Platinum 6000 Series Pillow Top Double Mattress for £239 - https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/platinum-pillow-top-mattress-4

It was one of those that came rolled and so I was a little sceptical how good it would actually be, but all this time later and it still seems in the same condition as the first week I had it and both supportive and comfortable at the same time.

But not sure I would buy much more from there as probably used up all my luck :)

Soldato
Bought a holiday to Tunisia on there once; got talked out of it by gammon colleagues at the time who assured me I would be murdered. Plot twist the Tunisia incident happened not long after.

Soldato
I bought a set of side tables on there around 5 years ago for £40 and they're not bad quality considering. Apart from that, I havent used it in what must be nearing 10 years for meal "offers" etc as they're generally similar prices elsewhere

Associate
You can find good deals on linen and cashback is usually good as the previous poster mentions. My wife used it for several massage sessions with mixed reviews, it really depends on who the actual provider of the services are. If you know your local area well you could browse for deals and choose businesses you know are trustworthy.

Caporegime
Don't really go on Groupon very often, but I get the emails as I have bought from them before and oddly its one of the best online purchases I've ever made. 3 and a half years ago I bought a Platinum 6000 Series Pillow Top Double Mattress for £239 - https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/platinum-pillow-top-mattress-4

It was one of those that came rolled and so I was a little sceptical how good it would actually be, but all this time later and it still seems in the same condition as the first week I had it and both supportive and comfortable at the same time.

But not sure I would buy much more from there as probably used up all my luck :)

Bag in box mattress worth £30 for £200 odd doesn't strike me as a great deal.

Soldato
Bag in box mattress worth £30 for £200 odd doesn't strike me as a great deal.

It's a mattress that at the time some online shops had listed for £1200 or more. It isn't a £30 mattress as its condition after this amount of time shows and has definitely served me better than other mattresses I have paid more for, so yes for what I could get for £240 it was a great deal.

Soldato
It's a mattress that at the time some online shops had listed for £1200 or more. It isn't a £30 mattress as its condition after this amount of time shows and has definitely served me better than other mattresses I have paid more for, so yes for what I could get for £240 it was a great deal.
Don't feed the troll. He has paid through the nose for a designer mattress that he boasts about whenever the chance presents itself. He probably gets a lot of time alone with it, hence the connection to it.

Soldato
I've found that the only deals worth anything on there are services, for example I got a good deal on an Aircon service & regas for my car - nothing else worth mentioning though.

Associate
What is also good is the offer stacking, Groupon emails you discount codes (mostly for local businesses I believe) to use with already heavily discounted offers, add cashback on top of that and the resulting price in some cases is worth the punt.

Soldato
What is also good is the offer stacking, Groupon emails you discount codes (mostly for local businesses I believe) to use with already heavily discounted offers, add cashback on top of that and the resulting price in some cases is worth the punt.
You're putting a lot of effort into OCUK for someone just looking to spam their travel blog.

Back
Top Bottom