Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I think you are being a bit obtuse there..... if you want to argue the semantics then take it up with octapus I am just using the same definition as them.

Every unit of energy l use octapus purchase the same amount of renewable energy.

https://octopus.energy/blog/what-makes-us-green/

Anyways either way what ever.... My main point is that imo it's really good value. Any green credentials is just the icing on the cake.

The link you posted proves my point, they support and invest in green initiatives, the energy you consume comes from your nearest power station.

Soldato
My contract is up the end of this month, so just went to uswitch to have a look and annual cost is looking to be up by ~25%!

Is uswitch going to find the best deals, or should I be getting quotes directly? It's saying Scottish Power, OVO, Pure Planet, AVRO, and E.ON are the cheapest 5.

I remember in the past people were saying don't switch to a smart meter, is that still the case, or is it better to switch to one now?

Soldato
I'd be surprised if they were the cheapest, when using a comparison site make sure you click the box to show the whole market and not just the companies they can switch you to.

Unlike insurance, its rare to find a better price going direct, most of the comparison sites either list the same tariff or offer a cheaper tariff not available direct.

I just signed up to octapus energy Go Faster tarrif. It's meant for houses with electric cars really but i don't have one yet. It's the cheapest electricity I have had in years and it's green as well
Find a referral from someone and you get £50 credit as well and no loc in period.
14p KW/hr for 19 hrs a day and 5.5p for 5 hrs

How does this make any sense? Do you have a huge overnight power draw? The day rate is higher than you would pay on a flat rate, so unless you have a big overnight draw to make up for it, you'll be paying more.

How is this the cheapest electric you have had in years? Prices have gone up 25% in the last year and is the most expensive it has pretty much ever been.

Soldato
How does this make any sense? Do you have a huge overnight power draw? The day rate is higher than you would pay on a flat rate, so unless you have a big overnight draw to make up for it, you'll be paying more.

How is this the cheapest electric you have had in years? Prices have gone up 25% in the last year and is the most expensive it has pretty much ever been.

I agree, utilities have gone up by as much as 25%, but out of the quotes I have had so far, Octopus Go is far cheaper during the day then the competition is 24/7. What are people doing for gas as it doesn't quote a price for that.

Soldato
You should be seeing rates in the region of 13p/kwh on a flat rate tariff. I just cant see that 14p/kwh is the cheapest rate you can get for electric from a flat rate provider unless you are just looking at the big six standard variable rate or on a prepayment meter.

You'd get your gas from Octopus on one of their other tariffs.

EDIT: it seems electricity prices really have shot up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be surprised if they were the cheapest, when using a comparison site make sure you click the box to show the whole market and not just the companies they can switch you to.

Unlike insurance, its rare to find a better price going direct, most of the comparison sites either list the same tariff or offer a cheaper tariff not available direct.

My old policy was 16p KW/HR. 24/7. By off setting stuff like tumble drier to 8:30 to get the cheap rate makes a huge difference. As soon as the installers pull their finger out and install my battery which I can charge off peak to use on peak I will save even more, but even without that my cost has already dropped.

Who is offering 13p tho? That is a.good price for 24/7 I must admit.

Soldato
Orbit energy in my area but your mileage will vary.

That said I don’t actually base these things on unit charges though, I base it on total actual cost based on the years of history data I have on my usage. That gets more complex when you start trying to factor in time of use but we don’t have any specific usage over normal background use so I’m not considering them at the moment.

Soldato
You should be seeing rates in the region of 13p/kwh on a flat rate tariff. I just cant see that 14p/kwh is the cheapest rate you can get for electric from a flat rate provider unless you are just looking at the big six standard variable rate or on a prepayment meter.

You'd get your gas from Octopus on one of their other tariffs.

EDIT: it seems electricity prices really have shot up.

I was in as much disbelief as you are over it. Standing charge has also gone up significantly on the 'cheaper' quotes too. I can hold off a couple of months still, so will.

Soldato
Agreed, I got a good tariff last year with Scottish Power (albeit through a comparison site, not direct) of 12.6p per unit and a 19.something p standing charge, I can't find anything remotely close this year. Symbio seem to be the cheapest, although after seeing them in the news for their bullying tactics towards people who leave negative reviews I'm not sure.

Soldato
Just had smart meters fitted, annoyingly the IHD doesn't have WiFi so no way of connecting it to IOT so still need my owl monitor.
Also not showing gas on the IHD so not a great start.

Last edited:
Associate
I switched two months ago to Bulb the comparison sites are telling me I can save a couple of quid a month switching to Octopus. The daughter has just switched to “People’s Energy” on a 12 month fixed rate. Reviews don’t look fantastic, does anyone else have any feedback on them?

Man of Honour
I got a alert yesterday from Money Supermarket's Energy Saving Club as it's set to a saving of £50 a year for me, the top pick was from People's Energy who I never heard of and was supposed to be £56 a year cheaper than my current Green Energy deal. I clicked on the details to view the unit prices and standing charge and they were all higher than Green Energy so would actually be more expensive. The only thing that was cheaper was the monthly direct debit which would have resulted in me under paying. It makes me wonder if they set out to attract people who can't be bothered with comparing unit rates by showing a cheaper monthly direct debit. I am still locked in for another couple of months but that's a shady way to get people to switch.

Soldato
I got a alert yesterday from Money Supermarket's Energy Saving Club as it's set to a saving of £50 a year for me, the top pick was from People's Energy who I never heard of and was supposed to be £56 a year cheaper than my current Green Energy deal. I clicked on the details to view the unit prices and standing charge and they were all higher than Green Energy so would actually be more expensive. The only thing that was cheaper was the monthly direct debit which would have resulted in me under paying. It makes me wonder if they set out to attract people who can't be bothered with comparing unit rates by showing a cheaper monthly direct debit. I am still locked in for another couple of months but that's a shady way to get people to switch.

Are you sure they aren’t comparing to to what you will be paying once your contract has expired?

If you have been under contract for a year, expect your rates to rise significantly when it finishes.

Soldato
My term is up next month and I can't believe how much electric has gone up - At moment we pay £54 a month on a fixed 2 or 3 year contract -not sure which - Cheapest I can find is M&S at £68 a month fixed for two years - this is electric only - are they taking the mick.
Was on Npower but due to buy out now with E.on :rolleyes:

Soldato
My term is up next month and I can't believe how much electric has gone up - At moment we pay £54 a month on a fixed 2 or 3 year contract -not sure which - Cheapest I can find is M&S at £68 a month fixed for two years - this is electric only - are they taking the mick.
Was on Npower but due to buy out now with E.on :rolleyes:
That's meaningless what's the rates.
I'm paying 20p/day + 14p/KW. Basically costing me around £1.25 a day for electric.
Gas I'm at about 50p a day at the minute, great when the weather warms up a bit.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Some of you above - if using Uswitch, make sure you remember to go into the filter and select to include supliers which Uswitch cannot handle. If you do this some others appear which are usually cheaper. I have to wonder if you are not doing this.

Here in Oxfordshire for example at the moment;

Symbio Energy
Low Fair and Green Variable SE03 v18
Variable price
Monthly direct debit
Unit rate
12.354p per kWh
Standing charge
12.001p per day

Back
Top Bottom