• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a USB NVME enclosure that works with a SX? I’ve seen a few reports that say it’s hit and miss. The Asus ROG one works but it’s expensive!

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend a USB NVME enclosure that works with a SX? I’ve seen a few reports that say it’s hit and miss. The Asus ROG one works but it’s expensive!

Your bottle neck is the transfer speed, not the read/write speed, just get a SATA SSD, you can get a 1TB for £85, add a case for £15. Make sure it's USB 3.1.

You can only run older games on external anyway, all new games require internal install I think so as time goes on, you need the external less and less. I thought about doing exactly as you wrote but in the end I am using a spare 250G external SSD I took out an old computer. I put all backwards compatible games on that.

Soldato
Not much point unless you like to spend money for a few extra seconds of loading. Better off with a SATA SSD.

Your bottle neck is the transfer speed, not the read/write speed, just get a SATA SSD, you can get a 1TB for £85, add a case for £15. Make sure it's USB 3.1.

You can only run older games on external anyway, all new games require internal install I think so as time goes on, you need the external less and less. I thought about doing exactly as you wrote but in the end I am using a spare 250G external SSD I took out an old computer. I put all backwards compatible games on that.

The main reason is I’m going to sell off my PC, but one of the NVME’s in it is a 2TB. Rather than selling it for a loss it makes sense to keep it and use it as a nice big backup/storage for past gen games.

Caporegime
OP
The main reason is I’m going to sell off my PC, but one of the NVME’s in it is a 2TB. Rather than selling it for a loss it makes sense to keep it and use it as a nice big backup/storage for past gen games.

OK, the ROG enclosure you're on about looks to be around £50. The only other "name" that Digital Foundry recommend is Sabrent. I am currently using their USB to SATA cable and it's good. So maybe Sabrent's USB to NVME enclosure for £40? But that's still in the same ballpark. I don't know why that price is too high when you've already paid at least £200 for the drive itself. :)

Associate
I'm grateful for the FPS Boost thing, I've always been about frame rate over resolution.... To get to 60fps. I really don't see the need to drop resolution in order to reach 120hz, maybe that's just me though. Seems like they're just ticking boxes so they can boast how many games run at 120hz.

Anyone tried alien isolation yet at 60? I installed it recently for a MS rewards quest but couldn't play it at 30 so it was gone as soon as the quest was done.

RDR2 please!

Soldato
OK, the ROG enclosure you're on about looks to be around £50. The only other "name" that Digital Foundry recommend is Sabrent. I am currently using their USB to SATA cable and it's good. So maybe Sabrent's USB to NVME enclosure for £40? But that's still in the same ballpark. I don't know why that price is too high when you've already paid at least £200 for the drive itself. :)

It’s just me trying to be a cheapskate :D and wondering if anyone had experience of an alternative. Will look in to Sabrent’s, they are usually high quality.

Associate
I'm grateful for the FPS Boost thing, I've always been about frame rate over resolution.... To get to 60fps. I really don't see the need to drop resolution in order to reach 120hz, maybe that's just me though. Seems like they're just ticking boxes so they can boast how many games run at 120hz.

Anyone tried alien isolation yet at 60? I installed it recently for a MS rewards quest but couldn't play it at 30 so it was gone as soon as the quest was done.

RDR2 please!

Alien at 60fps is playing great, not so sure about the auto hdr though might turn that off.

Man of Honour

RDR2 please!

120hz is a game changer for FPS games, but just like the jump from 1440p to 4K you definitely get greatly diminished returns in general.

Soldato
Can anyone tell what the hell I'm supposed to do at the first base in state of decay 2, I got a supply bag and accidentally put it in supply locker instead of the other area, now it's no where to be found it's not in the locker even though there is a big sign on the screen saying don't put it in the locker put it in the other area!?

I really wanted to get into this game but only 30 mins in and not feeling the oddness!

Soldato

I use a SSK Aluminium NVME enclosure - around £20 on Amazon. No issues with my Series X, its been connected since Launch. I picked a few of those up on Black Friday to go with the 1TB drives, around £100 total each.

Soldato
I use a SSK Aluminium NVME enclosure - around £20 on Amazon. No issues with my Series X, its been connected since Launch. I picked a few of those up on Black Friday to go with the 1TB drives, around £100 total each.

Awesome thanks mate, I did have my eye on that one - will give it a while. Seems like a sensible price.

Soldato
Awesome thanks mate, I did have my eye on that one - will give it a while. Seems like a sensible price.

No problem, I have WD Blue SN550 1TB drives in the 4 of those enclosures I use for various things. I haven't had any problems with any of them. They are nice little enclosures.

Back
Top Bottom