Sim City like VR game.

Associate
Hello,

I'm a part of a small VR indie game studio. We are in the very early stages of our, untitled, Sim City Like VR game. I'm posting to get peoples thoughts.

Our idea is to build a Sim City like VR title built for VR down on the floor and not in god mode city builder. Starting the city the player can lay down roads and buildings, building up homes, infrastructure, industry, commercial, and entertainment areas. Having their own home that they can decorate as well as a town hall that can be improved, think City Skylines.

It is of course very ambitious. The features are nothing we can't do but it is indeed an undertaking. We are planning to use a Low Poly style for many reasons, chief among them is being kinder to peoples systems allowing for larger cities.

It won't be a build your own city GTA in VR game but rather a City Skylines/Sim City style VR game.

We'd like to get people's feedback and ideas. Nothing to show as of yet as it is very early stages.

Thank you.

Associate
I was thinking this week, it would be cool to have a first person VR fly about mode in Dyson sphere program / satisfactory.

Hard to imagine a sim city game in first person only. You need to zoom out to see the bigger picture sometimes?

Caporegime
Of all the things I want for VR, this isn't one of them and I love Cities Skylines. To get to the state of Cities Skylines, it'd take a lot of work - and would it be as good? If you can build something as good as CS, I'd be intrigued. But I don't think I care about a management, low poly VR game. Sorry.

Associate
Sounds mega - big fan of feeling like a god!

It would be trippy switching inbetween modes to see power/water etc if you are looking at implementing that. Good luck!

Associate
Tbh a city builder doesn't sound best suited to VR. They tend to be complete time-sinks that you put hundreds of hours in to, and really need a mouse and hot keys otherwise it would be fiddly.

Soldato
Tbh a city builder doesn't sound best suited to VR. They tend to be complete time-sinks that you put hundreds of hours in to, and really need a mouse and hot keys otherwise it would be fiddly.

A good radial menu system could overcome a lot of hot key issues.

Never been my sort of game so not much else to add.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your replies. It is in very early planning stages so not a great deal of time has been spent on it.

I do get what your saying with CS being a sit down and spend many hours on your city type game would start to cause an issue with your poor legs and feet.

I was thinking of maybe going for almost a Black And White 2 style game. Making the player a god rather than a Mayor. Being more of a guiding hand with the added VR interaction of casting spells and maybe even join in on the battles. Still holding onto the City managment mechanics of the game but keeping it semi simple with more focus on God play.

I suppose building a more Black and White 2 VR title is the better way to go. Still having the City building and population managment but with a more focused God gameplay. I can think of a lot of fun methods for building the game out. Gameplay can be like Black and White 1 and 2 along with the added skirmish of Black and White 1.

Or even allowing the AI popultion to build their own city while putting even more of a focus on the God Gameplay. The player guiding and protecting their population to give them the best chance. Building an army and attacking the enemy factions or using the power of FAITH to convert them to your side.

All just ideas at the moment. I build a early build of a giant game for the Quest last year for SideQuest. So I may be able to use a lot of stuff for that.

I might spend a few hours and prototype some ideas for SteamVR.

Last edited:
Soldato
A Populous style game could work well in VR I expect, or a similar God game where you gently guide and oversee rather than meticulously build as you would in a city builder.

Soldato
If you made black and white (1/2) in vr then I'd have to kiss you. So you may want to reconsider unless you find slightly overweight, heavily bearded men attractive.

In all seriousness, black and white is the game i dream of in vr. But minions/avatars/the creature, is an essential part of that experience. Training them was a true exercise in patience and hilarity.

Back
Top Bottom