Issues Fitting CPU Fans

Associate
Hi all,

Last year I built a gaming PC and I have now just upgraded my processor to an AMD Ryzen 5900X, which I only just managed to get hold of at Overclockers, and to cool it I previously bought a Noctua NH-D15 cooler which I installed with it today.

In my case (PHANTEKS Eclipse P400A) it all mostly fits in except that the Noctua fan mounted closest to the front of my PC is seated higher because the RAM underneath it (Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B) is too tall.

I'll link the image here as I seem to fail at attaching images normally (https://imgur.com/o5J7Vxo)
o5J7Vxo

o5J7Vxo

I wanted to ask you good people what my options are, and which is the best one.

I could...
  1. Leave it as it is and just clean out dust more often, though I'm not sure if a slightly open case negatively affects thermals?
  2. Remove the fan closer to the front of the PC and operate the heatsink with just one Noctua fan, but be able to close the case?
  3. Look into removing the heatsinks off of the Crucial Ballistix RAM to see if I can make it shorter?
Are there any other better options I have not thought of, and if not which of the above would you all recommend?

Many thanks in advance,

Jon.

Associate
OP
Fit a 120mm fan on the front?

My case has 3x 120mm front fans built-in anyway, so I wouldn't have any extra space to mount it.

Fit both fans behind the heatsink rather than infront :)

Did that with mine so i can see the ram :)

Sadly my motherboard is the Asus X570 TUF Gaming WiFi and has quite a large rise where the I/O ports are so the fan would have the same issue there.

Associate
OP
A 120mm on the front of the cooler not your case :cry:

Ohhhhhhhh :cry:

Yeah that's a good idea, though would I need a Noctua fan to have the little clip thing that fastens it to the heatsink.

Does anyone know what Noctua 120mm fans are good and if they'll have the clip thing to allow the mounting?

Soldato
Think the mounts on the fan are the same spacing as a 120mm fan so the clips should work ok.

You could try running it with just the middle fan installed.

Not sure which 10mm fan would be best suited so will let someone else advise on that.

Associate
OP
Think the mounts on the fan are the same spacing as a 120mm fan so the clips should work ok.

You could try running it with just the middle fan installed.

Not sure which 10mm fan would be best suited so will let someone else advise on that.

After a little research I've ordered a Noctua NF-F12 PWM to go on the front instead.
I'll probably use the spare 140mm fan as an exhaust fan somehow.

Another potentially silly question, but do you plug the 2nd fan into the "CPU OPT" slot on the mobo or use the Y cable to plug them both into the main "CPU FAN" slot?

Soldato
After a little research I've ordered a Noctua NF-F12 PWM to go on the front instead.
I'll probably use the spare 140mm fan as an exhaust fan somehow.

Another potentially silly question, but do you plug the 2nd fan into the "CPU OPT" slot on the mobo or use the Y cable to plug them both into the main "CPU FAN" slot?

I use a Noctua NH-U12S with two Noctua 120mm fans, using a Y-Splitter to the "CPU Fan" output on the montherboard.

Soldato
Hi all,

Last year I built a gaming PC and I have now just upgraded my processor to an AMD Ryzen 5900X, which I only just managed to get hold of at Overclockers, and to cool it I previously bought a Noctua NH-D15 cooler which I installed with it today.

In my case (PHANTEKS Eclipse P400A) it all mostly fits in except that the Noctua fan mounted closest to the front of my PC is seated higher because the RAM underneath it (Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B) is too tall.

I'll link the image here as I seem to fail at attaching images normally (https://imgur.com/o5J7Vxo)
o5J7Vxo

o5J7Vxo

I wanted to ask you good people what my options are, and which is the best one.

I could...
  1. Leave it as it is and just clean out dust more often, though I'm not sure if a slightly open case negatively affects thermals?
  2. Remove the fan closer to the front of the PC and operate the heatsink with just one Noctua fan, but be able to close the case?
  3. Look into removing the heatsinks off of the Crucial Ballistix RAM to see if I can make it shorter?
Are there any other better options I have not thought of, and if not which of the above would you all recommend?

Many thanks in advance,

Jon.
Easiest way is only run middle fan. The difference in cooling in negatable with 2x fans vs 1x fan at same speed, and no difference at all at same noise level. Reason is 1x fan running a little faster to flow same amount of air as 2x fans make same amount of noise as 2x fans do flowing same amount of air. Hope that's not too confusing.

Best proof is testing done of NH-D15 (2x fans) and NH-D15S (1x fan) having almost identical temperature results. ;)

Associate
Had the same "issue" here when was playing with the idea of air cooling. Not that much gain the second fan, but I was determined to use it. Went with the Dark Rock Pro 4, before going back to watercooling, as those G(rill)PU would be too loud under load on air for my taste.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for all your responses.

I've got my replacement noctua 120mm fan now and will install that later so I can finally "close this case" :cool:

To be fair my new cooler is already way quieter than the stock AMD prism fan I had with my Ryzen 3600, and thats obviously with the side panel open a bit!

I'm sure once I install the 2nd fan and close the side panel it'll be even quieter anyway :)

Associate
Stock coolers are ok if you don't mind the noise, assuming the airflow is good.
But as soon as you go midrange, it's night and day. Going to top tier brands, even better.

Back
Top Bottom