BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Do BMW's not have a fan speed control? :confused:

It does if you are impatient.

I've only seen automatic climate control ever ramp up to really high fan speeds when its like a >30C summer's day.

It doesn't take long to cool things down even at lower fan speeds. In fact I'm not even sure higher fan speeds help as the air conditioning unit only has a certain capacity to produce cool air.

Soldato
On mine i can ventilate it through the My BMW app, i've not tried it yet but presumably it tries to get rid of all the hot air before you even get in it. No option to turn on heating or air con though unfortunately.

Man of Honour
Still trying to figure out the climate control as it doesn't seem to try too hard to reach the desired temperature. For example, if i set it at to 16 degrees and its warm outside, I'd generally expect the fans to go up to max until the desired temperature is reached, however the fan speed seems to stay the same regardless of the temperature its set at. It's definitely capable of getting up to max as it does so when I press the max air con button. There's also the mystery red/blue dial in between the middle vents which seems to drastically change the air temperature depending on the setting. Not sure where to set this dial as the desired air temperature is surely dependant on whether I want the car warmed up or cooled down, which is the whole point of climate control

I guess it depends how warm it is outside, if its boiling I want to be cooled down quickly. There is the option of the max setting but I was expecting less user intervention

Some 2 Series do not have proper climate control. I am going to make the assumption yours has - ie, you have a digital temperature display for the climate. If you don't, then you've not got climate control which is why it doesn't work as you expect.

The BMW system is actually brilliant when you get used to it and then key to why its brilliant is that mystery red/blue dial.

First, set the temperature to your desired temperature. 20-21c is probably the right setting. Then ensure everything, inc fan speed, is set to auto. Then never touch the fan speed or cabin temperature setting ever again in the entire time you own car.

The blue/red wheel is an override for temperature out of the face level vents. So, if you want it particularly cold or particularly hot then you use this wheel to do that. If you just want it to do its own thing, leave it set exactly in the middle.

The car will automatically increase the vent speed to rapidly bring the temperature down if you've left it in the hot sun - manually reducing the temperature to 16 won't speed this process up. If it's 21 in the car and you change it to 16 it won't unleash a torrent of noisy air, it'll bring the temperature down using a balance of speed and noise to keep the cabin pleasant. The reason it does this is because it isn't responding to a request for instant cold air - that isn't what the temperature setting is for.

For things like making it cold when you fancy it to be colder than normal, use the dial. For rapidly cooling the car if its been parked outside in the sun, either be patient or use the Max AC button to speed the process up a bit.

Don't try to effect rapid temperature changes by changing the cabin temperature setting - it's a thermostat.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Haha i'll remember that for the future! Having owned it since Friday, i'm still abit shocked at how good the engine is for such a small car. The B58 engine really is quite something.

The open diff has caught me out though, so im looking at a LSD now especially if the wifes gonna drive it too.
I've been blabbing about the M140i for a while now, but everyone in my 'car circle' said its just a toy for people who can't drive... Once they saw what the car can do, all of the sudden everyone started looking through AT, GT, Bay etc. :p

Nice!

Sounds similar to mine in regards to options! Although, what is BCD? Mine has the heated wheel, and I did want to do the stone guard but apparently it needs different brackets on the radiator and all sorts... so I just done the mesh thing!

Mine just had a major service before I bought it too, so plugs, oil, filters all done :) I think its next want is some rear brake pads.
Its the brake assist stuff, I think mine has adaptive cruise control too. But I don't have the guts to test it, but I can see a red car on my clocks display.

Mine had a full service 1000 miles ago, like yours it had Spark Plugs, Oils, Filters etc. The air filter it came with is actually a K&N :cool:

What LSD will you be going for? WaveTrac or Quaife?

Soldato
Some 2 Series do not have proper climate control. I am going to make the assumption yours has - ie, you have a digital temperature display for the climate. If you don't, then you've not got climate control which is why it doesn't work as you expect.

The BMW system is actually brilliant when you get used to it and then key to why its brilliant is that mystery red/blue dial.

First, set the temperature to your desired temperature. 20-21c is probably the right setting. Then ensure everything, inc fan speed, is set to auto. Then never touch the fan speed or cabin temperature setting ever again in the entire time you own car.

The blue/red wheel is an override for temperature out of the face level vents. So, if you want it particularly cold or particularly hot then you use this wheel to do that. If you just want it to do its own thing, leave it set exactly in the middle.

The car will automatically increase the vent speed to rapidly bring the temperature down if you've left it in the hot sun - manually reducing the temperature to 16 won't speed this process up. If it's 21 in the car and you change it to 16 it won't unleash a torrent of noisy air, it'll bring the temperature down using a balance of speed and noise to keep the cabin pleasant. The reason it does this is because it isn't responding to a request for instant cold air - that isn't what the temperature setting is for.

For things like making it cold when you fancy it to be colder than normal, use the dial. For rapidly cooling the car if its been parked outside in the sun, either be patient or use the Max AC button to speed the process up a bit.

Don't try to effect rapid temperature changes by changing the cabin temperature setting - it's a thermostat.

Is this the same on older models with the dials rather than digital displays?

Man of Honour
Is this the same on older models with the dials rather than digital displays?

Most BMW models without digital displays don't have proper climate control. The exception to this is the E60 5 series and the E89 Z4, both of which had proper climate control but with a non digital display. In most other models a non digital display indicates not full climate control.

Even the climate control in the E36 some 25 years ago had a digital display.

Associate

This confused me a lot in my M4. Coming from an S3 which would ramp up fan speed automatically to reach the set temp quickly. Kinda miss that, even if I ramp up the fan speed on the CC panel it doesn't seem to blow out anywhere near as quick!

Soldato
Kinda miss that, even if I ramp up the fan speed on the CC panel it doesn't seem to blow out anywhere near as quick!

maybe the (*thermic) glass and fancier leather are better on newer models, but it is the seat swab that need the fast cooling near the Med, so need to have a towel to drape on them, or, strategically park your car; opening windows a jar to initially blow out hot air always seemed beneficial.
As you predicate, (unless you go for Max AC), seems setting the fan at max even in Auto maybe fastest.

edit : Will Ventilated Seats be an option for the G20 at some point? :(

Last edited:
Associate

Really annoyed this has happened. Went to the car at lunch time and noticed that there was navy paint transfer and a ding on my driver's side door. I was able to get the paint off with a alcohol wipe and there doesn't seem to be any further damage, but they also left a nice 50p size dent on the edge of my driver's door. It's quite prominent in the picture as it distorts the reflection of the grass. I'm gutted :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Paintless Dent Repair will get that out pretty easily I think - don't worry too much. Annoying though!

Aye, I've been reading up on it since this happened. Any recommendations for PDR firms based on London/Essex? May is a heavy month for me with birthday's, Eid and professional registration fees so annoying I need to spend some coin on this now

Soldato

Cheers, it's got a digital display with the temperature on it which can be adjusted so think its proper climate control. Will give what you suggest a go.

The amount of people I have to explain this to that get in my car when it's warm and change it to 16 (or to 26?) in the winter is staggering.

:p

Soldato
This confused me a lot in my M4. Coming from an S3 which would ramp up fan speed automatically to reach the set temp quickly. Kinda miss that, even if I ramp up the fan speed on the CC panel it doesn't seem to blow out anywhere near as quick!
I thought you can set the level of the fan speed, even in auto? I'm sure I can in my e92.

Soldato
Most BMW models without digital displays don't have proper climate control. The exception to this is the E60 5 series and the E89 Z4, both of which had proper climate control but with a non digital display. In most other models a non digital display indicates not full climate control.

Even the climate control in the E36 some 25 years ago had a digital display.

My E89 has climate control according to the spec, so it works the same I’m assuming, just no digital display, just correlates with the temp dial.

Man of Honour
My E89 has climate control according to the spec, so it works the same I’m assuming, just no digital display, just correlates with the temp dial.

Yes, like I said 'E89 Z4, both of which had proper climate control but with a non digital display' :p

The Z4 does have proper climate.

Back
Top Bottom