• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA & AMD Won't Like This: GPU Price Creep, Greed, and Generational Stagnation

Soldato
Nothing new in this video, to those who paid attention to the price creep and naming BS, but at the end of the day, your dealing with a consumer mentality in the 'PC Gamer', who are seemingly willing & able to throw ever more money down the drain, just for the E-peen buzz.

I mean, how can their lives be complete unless they're getting 10fps more than anyone else, even if it does cost them £$1500+ for the privilege.

Permabanned
At least with Nvida RTX GPUs we get usable raytraing and DLSS. Dedicated RT and Tensor cores that use silicon that could have been used for legacy performance.

This is something I feel GN have not considered in the price/performance arguement.

Soldato
At least with Nvida RTX GPUs we get usable raytraing and DLSS. Dedicated RT and Tensor cores that use silicon that could have been used for legacy performance.

This is something I feel GN have not considered in the price/performance arguement.
People buying at the low end want rasterisation though. Is RT even worth turing on in a card like the 3060 and how's DLSS look if you only game at 1080p anyway.

Soldato

That could have also been said about DX11 or previous versions of DX and premium tax for that.
Ray tracing is just a normal advancement, no need to extra charge it. ;)

Permabanned
People buying at the low end want rasterisation though.

I don't see any evidence of that. Look at the new consoles and how they have been trying to show off RT for example.

Is RT even worth turing on in a card like the 3060 and how's DLSS look if you only game at 1080p anyway.

Not the most performant title, but I'd still rather have RT on..

Permabanned
That could have also been said about DX11 or previous versions of DX and premium tax for that.
Ray tracing is just a normal advancement, no need to extra charge it. ;)

Isn't it like a car which costs more if you want the high end audio. The difference being they don't offer the car without the audio system.

Soldato

Because the uptake for RT and DLSS is so wide.

Even then, for the 20 series of cards it was a marketing gimmick.

Soldato
I have been playing Control lately to check out ray tracing and it looks like they went out of their way to make the game look pretty bad when ray tracing is turned off. Ray tracing on looks great, but not a night and day difference over games that put effort into canned lighting.

I find DLSS more impressive as a feature. I could see this feature swaying purchasing decisions for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Because the uptake for RT and DLSS is so wide.

Even then, for the 20 series of cards it was a marketing gimmick.

20 series was a joke as it launched with very little RT support and what was offered was terrible. DLSS 1.0 was also a fail. Even Jensen joked about the 20 series.

Things have improved with the 30 series offering very useable RT, while DLSS 2.0 is excellent. Titles supporting said tech are steadily growing, plus we have engines such as Unity, Unreal Engine and IW including support. Metro Exodus Enhanced is launching in a few days requiring a RT capable card, while The Witcher 3 Enhanced is being worked on.

Soldato
Isn't it like a car which costs more if you want the high end audio. The difference being they don't offer the car without the audio system.

Don't compare cars with this, is not the same thing.

Is simple: previous generations brought performance increases in older and newer APIs at similar prices. These ones don't.

Permabanned
Don't compare cars with this, is not the same thing.

Is simple: previous generations brought performance increases in older and newer APIs at similar prices. These ones don't.

I was trying to simplify. Hardware based RT and Machine Learning workloads are nothing like CUDA and require their own silicon. This is why Nvidia leads in this area by a huge margin. That extra silicon and the design of costs more money.

Soldato
Gonna post my chart again.

D13y9mk.png

Current pricing aside, there is progression, at broadly the same price points give or take.

A little off topic, but I think the current 11th gen Intel offerings highlight why looking at generational progress is better than just assessing value *now*.

The 11900k looks okay within Intel's current gen, but looking at last gen shows how terrible it is.

An argument could have been made for Turing in a vacuum, but when compared to Pascal it lacked value and/or progress.

Ampere was decent progress *at MSRP* but the market is jacked right now.

Soldato
I was trying to simplify. Hardware based RT and Machine Learning workloads are nothing like CUDA and require their own silicon. This is why Nvidia leads in this area by a huge margin. That extra silicon and the design of costs more money.

Their record earnings at some point indicates the price increases are just a "cash grab".

Associate
They are a business, makeing money is the goal. Competition brings down costs, but so far there is no competition.

They also seem to be selling a lot of GPUs, not just to the PC sector.
yeah nvidia sells them to partners and then they manufacture them and sell them by the pallet load direct to miners :D

Caporegime
I have been playing Control lately to check out ray tracing and it looks like they went out of their way to make the game look pretty bad when ray tracing is turned off. Ray tracing on looks great, but not a night and day difference over games that put effort into canned lighting.

I find DLSS more impressive as a feature. I could see this is a feature swaying purchasing decisions for a lot of people.

That is the problem though, whilst games like the standard metro, rdr 2, cyberpunk etc. look great without ray tracing, it requires developers to put in more time and effort to get results with the old methods close to what ray tracing can provide i.e. in the below video, they show the workflow developers have to do for ray tracing and non-RT metro here:

https://youtu.be/fiO38cqBlWU?t=312

And even then, it still doesn't provide the same experience/visuals that ray tracing offers.

Back
Top Bottom