Low oil pressure light...

Soldato
OCUK, need your advice please

2011 BMW 1 series 2.0L E88
It was a bargain (£1900)
Has run beautifully

Today on an A road doing about 70mph, the dreaded red oil light came on the panel
I pulled over at the first opportunity.
Quick google suggested "Low oil pressure" and "do not continue your drive"

I wanted to check the oil pressure but it's a digital check that requires the engine to be running.
Car started no issue, oil was at ideal level (and not leaking any) and no sign of the light.
I crept it around the local roads, no sign of the light
I left it a couple of hours then took it on a gentle A road jaunt, about 10 miles, keeping everything sensible, no sign of the light
No knocks, bangs or unusual noises, no smoking, seems to be running normally

Any ideas? Should I keep it garaged until a chance to get the local BMW indy to look (in about 10 days time)? Reckon it's safe to drive carefully for a bit? Any thoughts why the light would come on just once and then seem to calm down?

Thanks!

Soldato
There's obviously something that caused it to come on. Could be failing oil pump, pressure sensor, clogged pipes, other.

Are you able to scan engine for codes?

Soldato
I wouldn't drive it at all with possible oil issues, that could end up with a blown engine.

Just having a low oil level can cause low pressure.

Soldato
OP
Digital check of oil again, read as full

OBD2 reader came up with no stored fault codes
Used Torque & Zus - both did a full sweep of tests and all fine, but I notice oil pressure hasn't got a sensor that's read.
Just sat with it idling for 20 minutes and no errors on dash.

Associate
Change the oil pressure sensor. Cheap and easy enough to do, then you'll know if you have an issue or just a faulty sensor.

Soldato
Change the oil pressure sensor. Cheap and easy enough to do, then you'll know if you have an issue or just a faulty sensor.
This as it's the cheapest. And DO NOT drive it as I did the same with a Jag and it siezed the engine and that was literally within an hours driving of the first warning light which flickered on and off.

Associate
This as it's the cheapest. And DO NOT drive it as I did the same with a Jag and it siezed the engine and that was literally within an hours driving of the first warning light which flickered on and off.
as said do not take the risk, its not worth it.
it may only be 2 grand but its your 2 grand.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. Sensor on the way.
I have been driving it anyway, no alternative for work - done about 150 miles, haven't hammered it, no sign of the dreaded light and oil levels stable (digital level, no dip stick, indeed - lets hope that ones not wrong). No noises and normal power. Fingers crossed...

Soldato
cornered too fast causing oil in sump to move to one side so pickup pipe has no oil near it and sucks up air causing oil starvation and low pressure light to come on? baffled sump with trapdoors needed?
or being bmw its got electrical gremlins?

Soldato
OP
cornered too fast causing oil in sump to move to one side so pickup pipe has no oil near it and sucks up air causing oil starvation and low pressure light to come on? baffled sump with trapdoors needed?
or being bmw its got electrical gremlins?
Was going along a straight road so unlikely for number 1.
I don't know what most of the words of number 2 are so could be a possibility.
Number 3 is also a possibility!

Back
Top Bottom