Road Cycling

Soldato
Have you got eTap on your Agree?

Yeah got it on my Agree and on my TT bike.
I bought the TT etap with the blip box couple years back.
Then I bought some etap road shifters cheap from ebay. With the TT bike being 1x chainring so don't need front mech on it, I only had to switch the rear mech between the two bikes and I had etap on both :)
But I am fed up mucking about so bought another etap rear mech so now both bikes are independent parts wise and both on etap :)

Soldato
I worry about disclosing the state of the chain I just replaced. It was mega clean. Always waxed but I don't want to know how many hours it had done..... chain checker on max moved about in it.... and my duals on Zwift got 2% better after replacing it :p

No excuses. I've had 2x KMC EL's in box for like 4 months sat on the kitchen work top. I was just a lazy sod and didn't clean them all to wax them. But got the finger out the other week and finally sorted it out.

Cassette wise, I bought a 105 recently and it was cheap enough and easy to come by. Probably because it is a 12-25 and nobody in the world wants those!

Soldato
I worry about disclosing the state of the chain I just replaced. It was mega clean. Always waxed but I don't want to know how many hours it had done..... chain checker on max moved about in it.... and my duals on Zwift got 2% better after replacing it :p

No excuses. I've had 2x KMC EL's in box for like 4 months sat on the kitchen work top. I was just a lazy sod and didn't clean them all to wax them. But got the finger out the other week and finally sorted it out.

Cassette wise, I bought a 105 recently and it was cheap enough and easy to come by. Probably because it is a 12-25 and nobody in the world wants those!

I have 11-28 but really the 11 can GITS and I’d rather have another gear in the middle as it must be used oooh 0.1% of the time.

Soldato
Me and two friends drove out to the Chilterns today for a ride. Beautiful. Was only 66 miles but had just short of 5,000ft of climbing, some of them pretty brutal! #23 of the top 100 UK climbs to kick things off and that almost wasn't the worst!

mXTAeQS.jpg

PdndUpN.jpg

My Wahoo ELEMNT tells me I'd hit 50.3mph, Strava has downgraded me to 47.9 :( I plan to put in an appeal :cry:

Soldato
This weather can do one, leg warmers, perfetto and full arm base layer on top, then it pelts it down part rain and hail and I got so cold despite pushing sweetspot in an effort to keep warmer. Think 4c average for that ride. Its bloody May!

Soldato
I wish I had gone on the turbo, it was bitter, but started off sunny, I could see the clouds getting darker to the north, so I headed south and yet still got drenched.

Soldato
It’s bloody ridiculous. I’ll be getting the winter bike back out for Sunday at this rate, and can see my Saturday TT being cancelled. I guess the only saving grace is a lot of our local events have been pushed to the back end of the year already due to HQ issues.

Soldato
Also having a moan about the weather.

I was getting a carpet fitted but didn't know time scale so couldn't head out whilst it was sunny to meet a group of 12 that do an easy pedal.

Managed to get the Mrs some new shrimp and fish and back in time for carpets once I knew a time slot.

Headed out to meet a 6pm group that has manages to get a fee groups going, last week was 21ish average but nobody came out to play. I got big hail on a climb to go with the headwind.

This was my mate out with Glasgow green.

Soldato
It's beyond a joke now. We were at 2 degree's C yesterday during the middle of the afternoon with frequent snow showers blowing through.
The worst bit of it for me is suffering majorly from hayfever but it's still winter. The only good thing about winter is having no hayfever so this is like a double kick to the balls!

Soldato
Hopefully the TT tonight will be more pleasant than last week! We were all freezing our asses off in skinsuits before the start, and the April shower just before kick off didn't help either.

Getting fed up of this winter weather now. It's ok when the sun's out, but the northerly winds normally cancel that out!

Soldato
Yellow warning for snow now. Yay.....

I'm a bit sad but will share anyways. I track when the swallows arrive each year. Past 2 years they have arrived on 18th April. Exact same day both years.... this year I have still not seen a single swallow yet. I cannot honestly say in my recent years when I have not seen a swallow in the month of April here.

My acer tree is in a lot of pics in our back garden that come up on time hop. It's barely got any leaf on it at all whereas last year and year before it was a full on green tree by now.

Daffodils in garden still. They didn't come out until early April this year whereas previous years I've seen them starting out at arse end of February.

I dunno what it all means. I'm not trying to say it means anything. But it sure does make you wonder if all these things are a sign of anything. Whether that be weather ahead or simply a tell tale of what a **** spring it has been.

Soldato
What's the consensus on method to clean a factory chain before using Squirt wax? I tried it before but convinced I didn't clean it well enough as it didn't seem to last at all and was super noisy. Tempted to give it another go this time. I think I read about using meths soak and then white spirit. Don't have an ultrasonic cleaner and not planning to go that serious about it yet!

#23 of the top 100 UK climbs to kick things off and that almost wasn't the worst!
Whiteleaf I guess? Done it a few times. It's not an easy one. Kop Hill to the right as you crest Whiteleaf is also a toughy but less varied. More like a wall.

Did Whiteleaf a few weeks ago actually with some workmates. There were some small kids riding up and a father with kid on back of bike. That gave them the incentive they needed to keep going :D

I'm guessing your 50mph was actually down Kop Hill. That's a fast road. Not the smoothest though!

Soldato
What's the consensus on method to clean a factory chain before using Squirt wax? I tried it before but convinced I didn't clean it well enough as it didn't seem to last at all and was super noisy. Tempted to give it another go this time. I think I read about using meths soak and then white spirit. Don't have an ultrasonic cleaner and not planning to go that serious about it yet!

24 hours in Morgan Blue degreaser.
Rinse and dry it.
I then ultrasonic clean it.

For you, I would do as above but instead of US clean. Back in fresh degreaser for 24 hours, rinse and dry again.

Soldato
He's been a little absent. Better prep the forum servers for a mega multi post!
Your wish has been granted! :D

I'm very behind in here... Work is nuts but really enjoying being based from/working from home still.

Got out last weekend with a club and chose the shorter option as didn't know what my legs would be like 2-3 hours in. Actually finished the ride strong so was a little annoyed with myself. Aiming to go again tomorrow and not chicken out of any long route! ;) :D
Man I'm so behind in here the last few weeks/months - can only apologise and just confirm I'm still riding - just working from home is busy and I seem to be doing less 'personal browsing' even though I'm on my home PC, at home! :cry::eek::rolleyes:

Went out for the social club 'longer' rides the last 2 weekends. Felt great the first and did a bunch of long turns, legs held up well (the 3 hour point being an unknown for me at this point) - https://www.strava.com/activities/5182956342

Last weekends also a good one, bit lumpier and far more ramps in there meant I died a little on the last one (it's not called 'God Almighty' for nothing) before home. Early Golf Course climb and some long solo pulls/group chaingang effort really did it for me and found my limit. Steve and I proper cooked on the spin back west after the group split, meant the other guy (Mark) just rode away from us at 15mph and neither of us had any heart/legs/willpower left to follow him! :cry: https://www.strava.com/activities/5222765248

Still really happy where I am at the moment riding outside, even though all the indoor Zwift riding/racing/TTT'ing I'm fighting to get my FTP back up to 250W and hold it there for any real periods.

Out for a ride yesterday evening and my friend noticed this, on my 280 mile old GP5000's -

f3by0NG.jpg

That can't be good, right? I've contacted Wiggle asking if they can be replaced under warranty...
Pretty poor showing, but almost looks like the carcass has split from having too much pressure?! What's the recommended range on those and what are you running?

Best day of the year so far with the best ride of the year for me.

Big day out but happy with some impressive times in the middle of such a big ride.
Absolutely mega day out mate. You're flying! You guys up there really like your cannondales don't you. Don't see that many down here.

Right, time for me to throw myself back into it here.
A lack of motivation throughout 2020, buying a house during lockdown and becoming a full-time DIYer meant I basically gave up cycling for 6 months. I'm now probably the least fit I've been since about 2012. CTL plot below currently at a whopping 9 where I was usually around 90-100 this time of year following training camps.

At my peak in 2019 I had an FTP of around 370w at about 84kg. Currently a shambolic 96kg and with a starting FTP of I'm guessing c.260w which means I barely move on current rides, particularly if there's a sniff of an incline. All quite embarrassing but looking forward to the progress from here.

Will check with that here, but going to see where training for a few months gets me with a view to some TT's later this year and maybe some road races if that's allowed next year.

RkMzCZw.jpg
Great to see you back buddy and good to hear life has lead you other directions - but you've still circled back! Also wounded to hear how your estimated FTP after that period is still higher than mine and I've not stopped riding! :D;)

Nice comparable Strava F+F all time graph for you:
z4ZWPyi.jpg

My riding is getting better the last couple of years, more consistent and don't seem to 'drop' as badly when I miss some rides, but equally I don't have the massive 'spikes' of fitness and performance like I used to. I think CV-19 putting the kybosh on Sportives and Events the last 1.5 years has really done that. I missed a bunch of group riding last year. My little one was born September 2017 and can see a decline then, but looks more like the reduction in sleep and fatigue through 2018 after probably hampered my fitness more, along with the time pressures of having a family. Even now I 'struggle' to get enough time to ride as much as I'd like to, but the convenience and regular rides on Zwift has meant the fitness I got through Lockdown/Furlough riding a bunch early 2020 carried through the autumn and winter nicely. Even now the level I'm at I feel like I need to increase to get to a 'happy place' (FTP back up to 260W) but in reality looking at that graph I'm at a fairly good and normal level for me at this time of year. If I can hold it for several months and possibly peak with any events (without furlough and lockdown to assist) I'm actually in a good position.

Funny, when you have a reasonable FTP you can go out and you have a bunch of bandwidth between zones where you can pitch your ride and train. When you're as unfit as this its all compressed into a tiny window of riding and almost just one speed, so limited choice but to just ride anyway.
The second bit you just described my riding life/ability. :cry:

Didn't think so :D Shot you a trust.

Ordered a new chain in the meantime.
I've a couple of 10 speed cassettes if you or anyone else needs for that matter. Really did think I'd get the other half up to 10-speed but by the time prices come back down and I get around to it, she'll be on 11-speed 105 as it'll be cheaper/more availability (I'll likely use my groupset from Turbo bike).

Did the spring reliability ride on Saturday 100K starting in Cannock then winding its way up and around the back end of Alton Towers... one word to describe it as GRIM, 20mins of hale stones that looked like Snow after.
Must be brutal as hell riding around Alton, it's very lumpy! Some fantastic roads but I imagine very bad for traffic when the park is open (not even sure it is yet?).

Missus been doing my mtb/cx shoes and finished them up over the weekend. Something bit simpler than the last ones for practise.

BJ3BpM3.jpg

few more pictures on https://www.instagram.com/p/COVyt9jBEJ4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link.
They look awesome! She's doing well! Great job!

EDIT: TT Bike is looking good too - really cool to get a decal on the wheel! We approve! :D

Just paid £255 for a second hand 1st gen 11 speed etap red rear mech.... and that was a "bargain".
It is truly crazy right now.

I've got a load of cassettes I need to shift, been so lazy though and got some di2 bits I need to install that I got on the cheap last year, but not got the money to buy the derailleur now....
Heard the LBS can't get groupsets from Europe and that Shimano are 'sold out until 2022'. One of them bought groupsets from Oz suppliers/stocks for crazy money just to get them for his builds.

Leave @Roady alone.... :cry:
Haha, valid point but I do run mine over 0.75 probably closer to 1.00 after winter. Actually am overdue checking it...

But also note I cleaned my bike last week for probably only the 3rd time this year! WFH really has meant it's avoided a ton of bad/grotty weather, not to mention no group rides for filthy backlanes and the weather being so cold/grim heading out solo has only happened a couple of times.

I dunno what it all means.
It means you're getting as old and grumpy as me! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm guessing your 50mph was actually down Kop Hill. That's a fast road. Not the smoothest though!

No, it was actually 0.3mi into this segment. It's not even at the bottom, I think I squeezed the brakes going round the slight left.

What's the recommended range on those and what are you running?

I think it's up to 116psi and I run around 104. I think it might have happened when I had the bike on the trainer and left the front wheel on. There was a low cadence drill I was doing where I could see the tyre bulge under the downward phase and thought it might be flat. It wasn't, it was over 100psi, so I guess that might have done it. Also, I later remembered, I think this tyre came without a box, so maybe it was a return or actually faulty and sent to me by mistake? Either way, Wiggle simply sent me another :)

Soldato

I've gone for a soak in white spirit, followed by meths to remove any residue, followed by degreaser in an ultrasonic cleaner. Last step is probably overkill.

Soldato
Hopefully the TT tonight will be more pleasant than last week! We were all freezing our asses off in skinsuits before the start, and the April shower just before kick off didn't help either.

Getting fed up of this winter weather now. It's ok when the sun's out, but the northerly winds normally cancel that out!

I don’t think I’ll be going to mine.

Forecast is for hail, rain and 30mph wind all afternoon, just stopping by 7pm which is push off time. Usually the weather gets pushed back so it’s guaranteed to rain. Not fun and too dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom