Crucial to update MB BIOS?

Soldato
Hey guys,

Still getting an issue when booting up sometimes from cold, it will boot into windows, but the start menu wont be accessible via the keyboard, anyways..I done another restart, and this time I couldnt open the start menu or the documents folder in my taskbar, they just would not open??

I havent done a BIOS update on this yet, I believe the current one is from launch :eek: (sometime 3rd quarter last year!).

Now, do I upgrade the BIOS and make sure all my W10 updates are done?

Seems silly but the thing putting my off is on MSI website (I have the MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk mobo), saying in the BIOS update support, basically, "dont update if stable, as update might break the mobo and be unusable" (in a nutshell thats what it says).

Cheers guys for reading!

Soldato
Updating bios is pretty safe these days so I wouldn't worry to much, the don't update unless stable is just the generic warning for all boards but personally I've never had an issue when updating.

Soldato
OP
OK, thanks for the reply, I will chill tonight, and at some point tommorrow DL the file and update the BIOS + any W10 updates that need doing.

Associate
Seems silly but the thing putting my off is on MSI website (I have the MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk mobo), saying in the BIOS update support, basically, "dont update if stable, as update might break the mobo and be unusable" (in a nutshell thats what it says).

I upgraded my B350 board to the latest and it seems to work fine both with a 3700x and the old 1600x. Would be surprised if they were any less diligent with the Intel BIOS's.

I've had ONE, on an HP Laptop...RIP, bricked it. I swore I'd invest in an UPS but haven't bought one yet :(.

You do realize Laptops come with a battery right? Am I missing something here?

Soldato
I upgraded my B350 board to the latest and it seems to work fine both with a 3700x and the old 1600x. Would be surprised if they were any less diligent with the Intel BIOS's.

You do realize Laptops come with a battery right? Am I missing something here?

I was wondering same ;), unless he had the battery out or it was dead. basically a working laptop is a pc with a built in UPS..

It's desktops and servers that need UPS as they don't have a battery backup for power.

Man of Honour
Hey guys,

Still getting an issue when booting up sometimes from cold, it will boot into windows, but the start menu wont be accessible via the keyboard, anyways..I done another restart, and this time I couldnt open the start menu or the documents folder in my taskbar, they just would not open??

I havent done a BIOS update on this yet, I believe the current one is from launch :eek: (sometime 3rd quarter last year!).

Now, do I upgrade the BIOS and make sure all my W10 updates are done?

Cheers guys for reading!

I remember motherboards had an option to delay detecting IDE drives at boot for a few seconds, I would always enable it, because it stopped a lot of this kind of weird stuff. Don't know if your BIOS has something similar, but might be worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom