Free Drive Away insurance from Dealership

Soldato
Good point.

Tbh I'm going to sort my insurance tonight now. Set current one to cancel in a week's time in case we need bit more time selling it.

Will set new policy to start tomorrow.

I did sign up for the free cover but I'm sure I can just ask them to cancel it

Aviva came up cheapish, so will go with them. I selected private leased on Confused.com but when I go through to Aviva there's no mention of ownership anywhere. Asked via twitter and get the feeling it's just how they work. They just need to know the named drivers
Careful - cancelling insurance is never advisable.

Soldato
Oh no, have I dun goofed?
Take it with a pinch of salt and based on my first completely wrong post, perhaps a bucket of salt - but I've always been advised to not cancel insurance given the cost of cancellation, and if you pay monthly, may not be able to get any money back either. There is sometimes a confusing no claims bonus situation too.

Soldato
OP
Take it with a pinch of salt and based on my first completely wrong post, perhaps a bucket of salt - but I've always been advised to not cancel insurance given the cost of cancellation, and if you pay monthly, may not be able to get any money back either. There is sometimes a confusing no claims bonus situation too.

Ahh indeed sorry yes there are usually fees. However first I tried to just change to the new vehicle but for some reason they couldn't offer me insurance on the new one. They then looked into insuring it through Aviva and it was like £80pm!! I had a quote from Aviva myself earlier in the day for £30.

So with that in mind they waved the cancellation fee as they were unable to get me a better quote to stay.

I do have to pay time on policy or something. But I pay monthly so have paid up to date, except about a week so I'm going to be charged like £12 for that then refunded the rest of this month's bill.. something like that. It's all quite confusing but didn't sound too bad

Soldato

Depends how far into the year you are, I just cancelled a policy and got some refund. It was near the end of the term so I miss out on a extra years NCB but at 12 years already it doesn't really make much difference.

On a side note, I insured my new car with 0 yrs NCB and just transferred that 12 yrs to the policy today for a massive £40 discount...

Changing cars this time has been a hassle with insurance because esure couldn't find my new car on their system, I'd normally just add the extra car to the policy until the old car was gone.

Back
Top Bottom