What defines a fast car in 2020?

Soldato
If the passenger feels sick from G-force you nailed it.

Yes and driving a high downforce car fast requires quite a bit of practice and lots of intestinal fortitude.

Depends how you do it. If you set it up for loads of downforce at high speed you need a pro. You can't lift off at all in corners or you die. A moderate amount starting at lowish speeds is far more accessable and how cars with downforce from the factory come.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's 2021, the bar has moved. More and more cars are breaking in to the upper 2.XXs range to 60. Under 2.5s 60 is now a good place to be to make use of all situations on the road and be considered "fast"

Soldato
Ask Tracy Chapman

Underrated comment.

My old car did 0-60 in around 6.5-6.9 ish, I would call that quick on UK roads. I imagine the average car must be around 9-10 sec now. My current apparently can do 4.2 and to me that feels fast. More than enough for the road. So in pure 0-60 it’s somewhere in there for me. Under 3 is very fast indeed but pointless on the roads I think.

However, I’m not a believer in drag strip times as a measure of how good a car is. You could in fact argue that fast has to mean around the corners too. In fact, chasing these stats top trumps style has led many enthusiast cars in the wrong direction I think. I’m glad things like the GT86 still exist that aren’t about 0-60 but actual driving and engagement (aka fun).

Soldato
Driving a slow car fast is more fun and you'll learn more than just jumping in a fast car (and I don't mean an SUV, but something agile which does actually handle). Once you get corners figured out you find most people just can't keep up with you even in way more powerful stuff.

Though you will burn through things like suspension bushes and other consumables. Especially if its something not meant to be driven like that :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Driving a slow car fast is more fun and you'll learn more than just jumping in a fast car (and I don't mean an SUV, but something agile which does actually handle). Once you get corners figured out you find most people just can't keep up with you even in way more powerful stuff.

This. i have a friend who owns a BMW 750i, a Ferrari 458 and a Fiat ABrath. he says he does most of his miles nowadays in the Fiat. You just cant go anywhere in the UK to really enjoy the Ferrari whereas driving the Fiat on the edge down country roads is just sublime in his opinion.

Soldato
This. i have a friend who owns a BMW 750i, a Ferrari 458 and a Fiat ABrath. he says he does most of his miles nowadays in the Fiat. You just cant go anywhere in the UK to really enjoy the Ferrari whereas driving the Fiat on the edge down country roads is just sublime in his opinion.
Is that because the ferrari is to valuable to put miles on:cry:.

Caporegime
Is that because the ferrari is to valuable to put miles on:cry:.

Maybe but he does have a point. he says the Ferrari is so fast and gets to legal UK speeds so quickly and corners so well that its just too un engaging to drive on UK roads and just not fun. Whereas you are pushing the Fiat and can drive it on the edge.

Soldato
It's 2021, the bar has moved. More and more cars are breaking in to the upper 2.XXs range to 60. Under 2.5s 60 is now a good place to be to make use of all situations on the road and be considered "fast"

I think your definitions are just way off and no doubt everyone is thinking you are being exceedingly blasé.

If you keep moving the goal posts this quickly, cars that where 2.9 seconds are now apparently 'brisk' to you and you need to be sub 2.5 to be 'fast'.. Whilst cars have generally got faster over the years, it's a much slower evolution so 'most' as in the majority of people (i.e. joe public) will have normal expectations:

If you picked random average people and chucked them in a range of cars with different performance levels, I bet if all you had where 0-60 runs:
0-60 in 7-8 Seconds people would think are fast/very brisk
0-60 in 6-7 Seconds people would think are very fast
0-60 in 5-6 Seconds people would think are crazy fast
0-60 in 4-5 Seconds people would think are too fast
0-60 in 3-4 Second people would think are insanely fast
0-60 in <3 Seconds people would think are mind bendingly fast.

However, as many people are pointing out, 0-60 does not remotely cover a fraction of the parameters that people attribute to performance;
My first car (An 1100 Mini Clubman with uprated suspension and few engine tweaks) used to scare the living daylights out of people through twisty roads and almost exclusively people use to say that thing was 'insanely fast'.. yet it struggled to do 0-60 in under 9 seconds..

Saying all that, I'm terrible and exclusively I just always want more power.. I find my E46 M3 'adequate' and wished it had 550BHP, although I'd get used to that and no doubt want more..

But then if you want to get super relative, then I don't think anything you are talking about is anything other than brisk..

Back in 2003 I had a vehicle that did 0-60 in 2.5-3s, 0-100 in sub 6s and that was stock, cost £5K second hand (it was 3 months old, new ones where £8k).. that was a GSXR1000 and yes, initially I struggled to open it fully in anything other than 3rd, but by the time I sold it I could have done with more power..

Now bikes with rider have approx 700BHP/ton, they still obliterate 99.99% of cars in a straight line.. They struggle 0-60 due to the laws of physics and getting that energy through a tiny single contact patch but in terms of usability on the road in any situation, they are far far far better.

My only real point in all that is that having just 'brisk' and 'fast' and no context of the observer at all is so pointless...

Back
Top Bottom