Right of Way Question

Associate
Hi All,

Just thought I'd call on the fountain of knowledge on here for an opinion about the scenario below.

Who would have right of way in the following:

1) Car proceeding down the green line, forced into the wrong side of the road due to parked cars opposite the T Junction (on the pink line).

Or

2) Cars joining the road from the Orange line on what will be the correct side of the road when they join, but blocking the path of the car on the green line (who would be on the wrong side of the road, but has committed to the manoeuvre).

Context is not had any incident here (it's a route I use to get the kids to school, but it happens regularly that I'm committed to the manoeuvre and them somebody pulls out from the junction blocking the route of travel).

[url=https://ibb.co/PmtT7Z5] what is resolution monitor[/URL]

Soldato
I'd say the vehicle already on the main road has right of way regardless of whether on the "correct" side of the road.

In practice / insurance land though I doubt the driver entering from side street would be found at fault if something happened as both should be looking

Caporegime
As above. The person on the main highway already always has right of way but so many people if turning left will just look right before pulling out.

Man of Honour
Green arrow is a two-way road?

Cars travelling against the green arrow have 1st right of way
Cars travelling in the direction of the green arrow has second right of way if there are no cars travelling in the opposite direction
Orange arrow cars have to give way to green arrow if the green arrow car is alongside the pink line.
unless orange car turns left towards old Reece hotel and is already in the correct lane, and before green arrow car is next to the pink line...in which case, car travelling in the direction of the green arrow have to give way to orange car.

Associate
OP
I'd say the vehicle already on the main road has right of way regardless of whether on the "correct" side of the road.

In practice / insurance land though I doubt the driver entering from side street would be found at fault if something happened as both should be looking
As above. The person on the main highway already always has right of way but so many people if turning left will just look right before pulling out.
Green arrow is a two-way road?

Cars travelling against the green arrow have 1st right of way
Cars travelling in the direction of the green arrow has second right of way if there are no cars travelling in the opposite direction
Orange arrow cars have to give way to green arrow if the green arrow car is alongside the pink line.
unless orange car turns left towards old Reece hotel and is already in the correct lane, and before green arrow car is next to the pink line...in which case, car travelling in the direction of the green arrow have to give way to orange car.

Thanks all, agrees with my consensus as well - but some people just think they have a god given right to pull out regardless, causing any cars coming down the green line (who have committed to the manoeuvre) to try and squeeze in any miniscule spot between the parked cars to let them past, or pass extremely closely with the risk of a minor scrape

As above - when I'm coming down the green line, but not yet in the pink zone, and I can see a car pulling out I'll give way and wait.

And yep - green is a two way road, orange is a one way road.

Last edited:
Soldato
Green has right of way. Can confirm. Was 'orange' and ended up wiping out an Uber in the middle of West Hampstead. I was at fault for not considering he had to avoid a parked which meant he entered my carriageway.

Soldato
Green always because if need be you have to slow right down & overtake the parked car very carefully giving you & other road users plenty of time to react accordingly!

Soldato
Green arrow will have right of way once established on the route past the parked cars.

always been my understanding.

even if the car comes round in the oncoming lane of the green path (without pulling on from the junction ie they're already on the road) a car midway passing the obstacle has right of way (assuming that when starting the maneuver the outgoing green car had a clear path)

now if there's a gap in the parked cars then the outgoing car would have to pull in, but if it's one continuous block they have to go all the way.

Soldato
You may have a piece of paper that says you have the 'right' to something, or to do something... but that is no guarantee that you will actually get it, and certainly doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it at the time!!

Soldato
always been my understanding.

even if the car comes round in the oncoming lane of the green path (without pulling on from the junction ie they're already on the road) a car midway passing the obstacle has right of way (assuming that when starting the maneuver the outgoing green car had a clear path)

now if there's a gap in the parked cars then the outgoing car would have to pull in, but if it's one continuous block they have to go all the way.

This really should be mandatory in every theory test.

Soldato
I find it shocking, particularly around here the amount of people who can't seem to grasp right of way.

The answer around here is it depends on what car your driving, and how stubborn you want to be. Even when it's obvious, and there is a sign saying you have priority over oncoming cars, and a give way sign on the other end - nope. Does my bloody nut in.

Associate
This reminds of some roadworks a couple of years ago on the way to work, the left side of the road had been dug up but the signs had been put in place so the traffic on the left had right of way, this was done so that a queue didn't back up on to a main road a short way back.

I don't ever recall whilst the work was happening anyone coming from the opposite direction stopping to give way, they just assumed because the roadworks weren't in their lane they could drive straight through and ignore the signage.

Back
Top Bottom