Any Focus ST Estate owners?

Associate
As the title says, I've been eying one up for a while as the Mini isn't practical anymore so needs to go.

Are they reliable? Any major issues to look out for.

Cheers

Soldato
Can't speak to the Estate but the Hatchback I have 2016 has been a great car. No issues with it in my 2 years. Been pretty sizable for us with a 5yr old and a baby from birth to now almost 2.

Changing out this week to a Mégane, but will miss it

Associate
OP
I should have kept the STI but the boot wasn't practical despite its size. Ideally I want the 15+ ST for the facelift, slightly nicer front end but the screen inside is slightly bigger from my understanding?

Soldato
I have one (and have had for 4 years). Not much to say about it from an issues/ reliability front mine has been completely fine so far with just age related suspension / minor things to sort out on it, though I do now appear to have a minor oil leak at the turbo side, potentially just from the rocker but need to investigate.

Been a great car for our family, ferries the kids about then will take an absolute kicking when I'm in the car myself. Best balance of handling and comfort from a fwd car that I've had. Mine also has a couple of (non visual) mods which made a difference to the car. Dead easy to stick a set of roof bars on too plus bike carriers / boxes etc too.

On the less positive side the back is fairly tiny and a little worse than the non ST's because of the big recaros, plus the infotainment is ancient in mine being a pre facelift. Depending how new you are planning to go it might even be worth finding a sync 3 car, though I suspect they represent poor value at the moment. It's also let down a bit by no lsd if you were planning on driving it hard all the time or on track.

Golf R or the Leon cupra are probably the only similar cars I'd have considered along side mine, though both were significantly more expensive than my car when I bought it so a little bit different to your situation.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Assume a Golf r estate is out of budget?

Unfortunately aye, there's a lovely RS6 Avant knocking round here, the noiseeeeeeeeeeee.

I have one (and have had for 4 years). Not much to say about it from an issues/ reliability front mine has been completely fine so far with just age related suspension / minor things to sort out on it, though I do now appear to have a minor oil leak at the turbo side, potentially just from the rocker but need to investigate.

Been a great car for our family, ferries the kids about then will take an absolute kicking when I'm in the car myself. Best balance of handling and comfort from a fwd car that I've had. Mine also has a couple of (non visual) mods which made a difference to the car. Dead easy to stick a set of roof bars on too plus bike carriers / boxes etc too.

On the less positive side the back is fairly tiny and a little worse than the non ST's because of the big recaros, plus the infotainment is ancient in mine being a pre facelift. Depending how new you are planning to go it might even be worth finding a sync 3 car, though I suspect they represent poor value at the moment. It's also let down a bit by no lsd if you were planning on driving it hard all the time or on track.

Golf R or the Leon cupra are probably the only similar cars I'd have considered along side mine, though both were significantly more expensive than my car when I bought it so a little bit different to your situation.

At least the rocker cover isn't made out of plastic like my current mini ! (Or I'd hope it wasn't).

I put an LSD in the R56 so wouldn't be against dropping one in a Focus.

I've been looking for an ST3, pre facelift or facelift, not overly fussed about satnav being any good as we have google maps on the phones, any idea what year the Sync3 came in?

Soldato
Sync 3 is sometime in 2017, but at that age of car i'd seriously question the value in a Focus ST Vs some others as you'll be approaching £20k for one and I suspect the resale will drop like a stone. Plus the platform is obviously getting on a bit (I love mine btw, just being realistic).

Alternatively you can retrofit sync 3 for £5-600 and some coding, though I'm with you in that is probably rather just use my phone and accept the dated infotainment.

Also forgot to mention check rear arches very carefully for corrosion. The rear bumper rubs and every car will start to go at some point, wouldn't stop me from buying a car but would budget to have it repaired

Soldato
I had a 2016 ST3 Estate Facelift as a company car from new for 4.5 years. I really enjoyed driving it, it handled well, it was practical and I found the Recaros really comfortable. I know some guys struggle with the Recaros depending on how broad you are across the back but being female that didn’t trouble me. I’d have it back in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately it had a few issues in its life with me, an electrical fault that puzzled Ford for over a week turned out to be a frayed wire under the (never used) rear seats. It also went back three times for the same issue which was the fan basically became stuck open because the thermostat failed so the car constantly thought it needed cooling so it sounded like an aeroplane waiting to take off the entire time the engine was running. Being a company car and a high miler it was fully dealer serviced on a regular basis so Ford can’t even use its service record as an excuse.

The only other downside for me is that it has a turning circle like a double decker bus. Irritating but not the end of the world.

Soldato
Alternatively you can retrofit sync 3 for £5-600 and some coding, though I'm with you in that is probably rather just use my phone and accept the dated infotainment.

I got my Sync 3 from Aliexpress, all coded up and ready to go. give them your vin number and they will preprogramme it for you!
Paid £360 and it came in about 10 days..

Soldato
Skoda VRs estate? I picked one over the ST. Felt better built and a much more usable boot space if that's what your after. Although they seem to be a bit more than a similar aged Focus.

What I'd say about the Octavia (I had one too, albeit MK2) is that it can't come anywhere near the focus in terms of handling. Not an issue if that's what you are expecting but the Focus and Leon (never driven a golf R in anger) really are in another league. Not quite sure how if the Leon is the same platform but there's a significant difference. You're absolutely right in that it did have bags more room in the back mind. Mine was a Friday car too unfortunately but I suspect most are fine.

I got my Sync 3 from Aliexpress, all coded up and ready to go. give them your vin number and they will preprogramme it for you!
Paid £360 and it came in about 10 days..

Ok this is definitely interesting, got a link? Did that include the patch leads to go from sync 1 or were you upgrading from 2 and or properly soldered the leads?

Associate
What I'd say about the Octavia (I had one too, albeit MK2) is that it can't come anywhere near the focus in terms of handling. Not an issue if that's what you are expecting but the Focus and Leon (never driven a golf R in anger) really are in another league. Not quite sure how if the Leon is the same platform but there's a significant difference. You're absolutely right in that it did have bags more room in the back mind. Mine was a Friday car too unfortunately but I suspect most are fine.

Ok this is definitely interesting, got a link? Did that include the patch leads to go from sync 1 or were you upgrading from 2 and or properly soldered the leads?

That's strange in regards to the Octavia MK3, it's based on the MQB platform so should share the characteristics as the Leon and Golf. I didn't feel as though the Focus was better, they are both solid all rounder family estates but if you need the space for sure the Octavia must be the better choice.

Anyway I'm not here to justify my choice ha! :D The Focus though is definitely a brilliant car.

Don

The suspension in the mk3 VRS 245 with the DCC adaptive suspension is much better than the earlier models.

Soldato

As mentioned above, the mk3 Octavia is based on the MQB platform and as such is a considerably better car all round than the old mk2, it's an apples and oranges comparison. The Focus still just edges the Octavia for handling and is probably better for a good spirited drive, but actually living with each car on a daily basis I'd take the Octavia all day long. The Skoda is better built, has quite a bit more usable space and is a far nicer place to sit in than the Focus with it's plastic fantastic interior. Both cars were on my shopping list the last time I bought a car and the Octavia won hands down after test driving the pair of them.

Soldato
Same with all these types of comparisons really, the best thing to do for the OP is get out there and look at / drive a few - unfortunately that's probably harder to do than it used to be but still the only way to make the right call for me.

I've only driven a non vrs mk3 Octavia which felt still felt very soft and wasn't remotely fun to throw around but I take the point that none of these are like for like. The other good thing about the Octavia is that it commands quite a bit less money than its Leon equivalent which can't hurt. Plus you can have dsg (vs the focus).

Soldato
Associate
Not much to add, have a 2016 facelift ST-3 estate. Its been great, nothing beyond standard servicing. I've got the beginnings of corrosion on the rear arch lips sadly, but it's early so a minor fix at this stage.

Sync 3 swap / update is simple enough and worth it to extend the life of the infotainment, even if it is just to get CarPlay support.
I got my unit from a RS that had been rear-ended.

This is an excellent step by step on all the parts and the process https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/99185-how-to-sync2-sync3-upgrade/#comments

There is a great forum on the Sync 3 here https://cyanlabs.net/applications/syn3-updater/

I'd also echo with the leather Recaro front seats there is less leg room than the kids would like in the back, but it's OK if you get suitable car seats

As usual though, Ford dealers next to no help with anything other than the absolute basics.

Back
Top Bottom