• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DON'T Waste Your Money On RTX!! "video title"

Soldato
Well i could, and i don't deny it, believe me its tempting, but there is more to PC's than CPU's and GPU's, some game are PC exclusive, designed for high end PC's.

Talking about complexity and detail in a scene

think you have got a bit of a death wish posting that in here after reading the recent topics in the SC thread ! Quite a volatile subject at the moment. :)

Soldato
You mention the cost of scalped gfx cards but not the scalped consoles in your comparison. An oversight I know but all fair and equal the 3060 is about the same I don't reckon 'way ahead' - you also don't buy a CPU etc every time you buy a GPU.

Guess if my budget for a GPU was £3-400 then a console would look more inviting. And really for a modern console you need a high hz and VRR TV so there's £1k+ on a TV to warrant the console - though it wont run 120fps @ 4k so a bit of a waste really.

RT aside - and whilst it isn't the b all and end all, high refresh rate is one of the biggest visual upgrades you can do, plus with a GPU, even cheap ones you can adjust graphical settings to get the performance and visuals you are happy with.

A true gamer will adjust EVERY game using all the settings. I'm still amazed those that have expensive gfx cards then waste processing power turning up ALL the options, many of which are legacy options designed to make lower resolutions look better.

Dunno why CP2077 keeps getting a mention - only the developers said it was the best for ray tracing - then release a game that one of the consoles in the end rejected. A game that is probably beta in it's current state at best. All games get released in a sorry state - hence why I wait a year before buying them - fixed and cheap.

I'm taking retail prices, not 'scalped' eBay prices, it's just Sony/MS do a way better job than nvidia/AMD at controlling prices in the retailers.

As for TV, well kinda, but then for the PC you'd need a high hz VRR monitor, and the PC won't run at <whatever hz monitor you get> so a bit of a waste really...

I'm not even a console gamer, although kinda tempted by a PS5, if I could get a 3080 or 6800XT I would, but right now PC gaming is an utterly awful option from a value perspective.

Soldato
this post comes across as extremely childish lol.
Cyberpunk is not the best example of RT on any game, that would be QUAKE 2 RT or control, if you dont see why Tomb raider is a ****** example of RT implementation example i dont know what to tell you, even the spiderman on ps5 (that ironically runs on AMD hardware) is a better example than tomb raider lol.

The Cyberpunk thread on this forum begs to differ. The absolute circlejerk on there is proof enough of how highly rated it was for Nvidia RTX fanboys. I have a 3080FE btw.

Associate
I wasn't that bothered about RT while playing Control but yeah, once I turned it on I kept it on as it does look better. Same with Medium. It's still early days though and not quite the game changer as Nvidia would like us to believe.
I think initially it doesn't have a wow factor but after playing through a few hours, even on CP2077, I could not to back to having it off completely.
The performance hit is massive so only doable with DLSS for me.

Soldato
People here dont tend to care about fun in games. They just want something to justify their 3 grand pc. Thats why consoles get pooped on by people with zero experience of them.
indeed some need to justify the spend, in fact i bet half of them havent the foggiest about the difference, its a case of FOMO. its so funny reading some trying to justify RT, gone through 2 bags of popcorn already, who needs movies or games when you have threads like this:D

its easier than shooting fish in a barrel, line out, and you hooked one:D

Associate
You could probably make the same video with HDR or framerates. Most people cant tell. Thats why some are fine driving **** cars etc. on the flip side some people really care :) (about cars, framerates, hdr, even rtx..) (havent seen the video)

Caporegime
You could probably make the same video with HDR or framerates. Most people cant tell. Thats why some are fine driving **** cars etc. on the flip side some people really care :) (about cars, framerates, hdr, even rtx..) (havent seen the video)
^^

I'm sure if we created a poll here, we would get the amd fans saying they "don't care for RT at all" and nvidia fans saying "RTX is a MUST HAVE" :p ;)

Always laugh when one side gets like 10 fps more and said side counts that as a huge win team red/green, even though both are well above 100 fps :p

As said, it's swing and roundabouts here.

Agree with this 15k voted poll

53096088a3227c5415a54609ba862cb457d21cb6e21376c8e149c185a1d619f7b67ee77e.jpg

Should create a poll/thread on here, be interesting to see the results.

Personally I fall into the "care more about ray tracing but raster is still important" category. Purely because ray tracing is the future, same way I "cared more about dx 12/vulkan but dx 11 was still important" back when amd started the push for low level apis.

Caporegime
Thread title just singles out Nvidias cards, when AMDs cards are the same price/higher, and the title of Linus' video should be - 'Is RT A Total Waste Of Money ?', as he too, is just singling out Nvidias cards.

Does not compute :/

Associate
Depends on the games, Tomb Raider is just RT shadows from what I remember but Minecraft should have been obvious, what were they even comparing it to? A shader mod?

If they couldn't tell the difference between stock minecraft and RT Minecraft then there really is no helping them.

If you know what to look for it's easy. if you don't then you don't.

Associate
^^

I'm sure if we created a poll here, we would get the amd fans saying they "don't care for RT at all" and nvidia fans saying "RTX is a MUST HAVE" :p ;)

Always laugh when one side gets like 10 fps more and said side counts that as a huge win team red/green, even though both are well above 100 fps :p

As said, it's swing and roundabouts here.

Should create a poll/thread on here, be interesting to see the results.

Personally I fall into the "care more about ray tracing but raster is still important" category. Purely because ray tracing is the future, same way I "cared more about dx 12/vulkan but dx 11 was still important" back when amd started the push for low level apis.

I laugh when people assume opinions could only be made based on being part of one side, one team, or being a "fan" of a company.

There has been plenty of polls already and then the threads gets blasted with screenshots and videos of how great cyberpunk is....Then I really laugh.

Caporegime
I laugh when people assume opinions could only be made based on being part of one side, one team, or being a "fan" of a company.

There has been plenty of polls already and then the threads gets blasted with screenshots and videos of how great cyberpunk is....Then I really laugh.

Well when you get people saying things like "there is no difference", "rtx is a waste of money" when there quite clearly is a difference and it doesn't cost anything "extra" compared to cards with little to no ray tracing capabilities, what do you expect? People not to call out BS? :)

There's 3 types of people on this forum as of right now:

- ones that will never admit ray tracing is good or downplay it (often amd fans)
- ones that will big ray tracing up as being the only way to play any game and any game without ray tracing is **** (often nvidia fans)
- ones that understand why ray tracing is better and the way forward and call out BS when they see it but at the same time aren't going to lose sleep if a game doesn't have ray tracing (neutral members)

Not hard to guess who falls into each category ;)

Also, I don't think there has been a poll like the one above just for this forum? If so, please do link.

Each to their own in terms of cyberpunk being a good game in itself or/and good graphics, 151 hours and counting here and been one of the best games I have played in a long time (both visually and for gameplay overall), can't wait for the extra free content to arrive :cool:

Associate
Well when you get people saying things like "there is no difference", "rtx is a waste of money" when there quite clearly is a difference and it doesn't cost anything "extra" compared to cards with little to no ray tracing capabilities, what do you expect? People not to call out BS? :)

There's 3 types of people on this forum as of right now:

- ones that will never admit ray tracing is good or downplay it (often amd fans)
- ones that will big ray tracing up as being the only way to play any game and any game without ray tracing is **** (often nvidia fans)
- ones that understand why ray tracing is better and the way forward and call out BS when they see it but at the same time aren't going to lose sleep if a game doesn't have ray tracing (neutral members)

Not hard to guess who falls into each category ;)

Also, I don't think there has been a poll like the one above just for this forum? If so, please do link.

Each to their own in terms of cyberpunk being a good game in itself or/and good graphics, 151 hours and counting here and been one of the best games I have played in a long time (both visually and for gameplay overall), can't wait for the extra free content to arrive :cool:

only 3 types of people? do you like to put people in categories for some reason?

Cyberpunk must be one of the only games where people regularly feel the need to quote their hours played.

Associate
Their video was terrible, why use the worst examples for RTX???? And you do realise RTX/ray tracing affects more than just shadows if done properly?

If you have to "pixel peep" to see differences like this, then yes, you need to go to spec

Ok you clearly don't get it, you really don't.

I can acknowledge extra settings.

I have said, and this goes for anything, no body plays games to play screenshots.

Can you honestly tell me if there was side by side gameplay in motion, actual gameplay in motion, you could tell the difference to what was RT and not RT if you didn't know which is which via settings aka a blind test.

You have just done the huge fallacy of taking screenshots, putting them side to side and knowing which is RT and which isn't RT.

To go along with your comparisons, did you ever take a look at the whole scene? only some of the scene has a difference of looks, not the whole thing, if you are only focusing on the one aspect to try make RT look good in this scenario, you have done a bad job.

Even looking at that first video, when you take in the whole scene, its barely any impact - Also who the fing hell plays a game to just look at reflections.

You are not gonna tell the difference between RT on and off when fighting 20 bad guys.

The point of Linus video was to say, could you tell what was better and which game mode was RT on or off, most people failed just like most people would, and the only way people will truly know if RT is on without pixel peeping is being told it.

I don't play games to look at reflections, I don't play games to look at puddles, I don't play games to look at how light rays bounce in a corner next to a lit sign on non important building sign.

If people can't tell RT is on when in motion compared to non RT when not told what is which and more importantly, can't come to a conclusion to which they like better, its a dull feature to rave about now.

Control does not look good, RT on a game that does not look good just makes a game that does not look good have accurate lighting.

And for people to say LMG used a bad example, Tomb raider is a damn good game that looks better then control....

Most RT games out right now are badly done and are rubbish games, theres only a few AAA RT games out right now and they have still done a meh job of it, even Metro is a old game and that didn't look great either, just beige all over unless thats your thing.

IMO RT only works when a game is made for it in mind, so far thats not the case.

Caporegime
Ok you clearly don't get it, you really don't.

I can acknowledge extra settings.

I have said, and this goes for anything, no body plays games to play screenshots.

Can you honestly tell me if there was side by side gameplay in motion, actual gameplay in motion, you could tell the difference to what was RT and not RT if you didn't know which is which via settings aka a blind test.

You have just done the huge fallacy of taking screenshots, putting them side to side and knowing which is RT and which isn't RT.

To go along with your comparisons, did you ever take a look at the whole scene? only some of the scene has a difference of looks, not the whole thing, if you are only focusing on the one aspect to try make RT look good in this scenario, you have done a bad job.

Even looking at that first video, when you take in the whole scene, its barely any impact - Also who the fing hell plays a game to just look at reflections.

You are not gonna tell the difference between RT on and off when fighting 20 bad guys.

The point of Linus video was to say, could you tell what was better and which game mode was RT on or off, most people failed just like most people would, and the only way people will truly know if RT is on without pixel peeping is being told it.

I don't play games to look at reflections, I don't play games to look at puddles, I don't play games to look at how light rays bounce in a corner next to a lit sign on non important building sign.

If people can't tell RT is on when in motion compared to non RT when not told what is which and more importantly, can't come to a conclusion to which they like better, its a dull feature to rave about now.

Control does not look good, RT on a game that does not look good just makes a game that does not look good have accurate lighting.

And for people to say LMG used a bad example, Tomb raider is a damn good game that looks better then control....

Most RT games out right now are badly done and are rubbish games, theres only a few AAA RT games out right now and they have still done a meh job of it, even Metro is a old game and that didn't look great either, just beige all over unless thats your thing.

IMO RT only works when a game is made for it in mind, so far thats not the case.
Some solid points you have there sir tbf.

Caporegime
only 3 types of people? do you like to put people in categories for some reason?

Cyberpunk must be one of the only games where people regularly feel the need to quote their hours played.

Well, it's pretty accurate tbf, unless do you see it differently on here? When you have been here for long enough, you tend to notice how it is swings and roundabouts in the arguments on here, happens with every new gen of cards and big triple A title. Of course nothing wrong if people fall in to either of the first 2 categories but don't be spreading bs that is easily disproven.

You stated "how great cyberpunk is....Then I really laugh"

Is that generally not how you get an insight into if people enjoy the game???? i.e. bc 2, bf 3 and bf 4, I have hundreds of hours in them and over a thousand for bf 4, meanwhile for bf 1, hardline and bf 5, my hours are double digits, if that for bf 5..... i.e. I didn't enjoy the last 3 BF games hence less hours.... not rocket science.

Also, if you look at most reviews and even metacritic, cyberpunk does pretty well, (outside of the bugs, which are mostly fixed now). If it weren't for the bugs upon release, it would have been a heck of a lot higher rated but sadly most people jumped on the bandwagon of "haters gonna hate" and never even played the game themselves :o And by all accounts, the game is pretty well polished now after the patches.... Yes CDPR lied about the game and promised things they couldn't deliver but people should know by now to never get pulled into the false promises of e3 "previews" etc. Just because they lied doesn't make it a bad game, same way division 1 wasn't a bad game because ubi lied about it in their e3 demos.....

Did you just assume my category? :eek:

:D

Soldato
To be honest games need to spend more time on making them actually work/not be **** rather than worrying about Raytracing... //Stares at a few recent releases but mainly CP2077//

Back
Top Bottom