*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I always find speedtest-cli a little unreliable and always slower than in the browser.

I find the opposite generally. Speedtest-cli givees me good results whilst the browser is very variable. The Windows 10 app is generally pretty good though so I usually use that. The most reliable method I've found though is grabbing a testfile from a known good server with wget.

I'd be curious to see what BufferBloat result you get if you ran that test at the same time as the download test on your pihole.

Done, whilst I was grabbing a 100Gb test file with wget.

G9fw5vt.png

Soldato
This comment reads like Yoda being passive agressive :D

Maybe I can change your mind.

Here is what a typical day's latency graph looks like with the default router config - each spike of packet loss is anything from running a few speed tests to a game updating on steam, anything that's able to saturate the connection;

It's a similar story for LAN to WAN which means buffering on videos, slow page loads etc.

Here's a simple queue setup with around 5% of the available throughput reserved - better, but not perfect;

And here is with my current setup - ~10% of throughput reserved;

You can avoid reserving so much capacity by using more advanced Queue trees but that along with the load from PPPoE seems to limit the total available throughput, I don't think the CPU is man enough to do old school QoS at those speeds. This is something cake or fq_codel in the newer kernel of v7 will solve.

The Mikrotik is an amazing piece of kit, but you don't get anything for free or out of the box. Stuff you take for granted on other routers generally needs configuring.

The QoS is done by custom SoC, so it’s not hardware constrained. And that’s not being passive/aggressive it’s simply experience of inheriting systems that users are complaining about vociferously and that turn out to have been over-configured in very clever ways, because the open nature of the software lends itself to doing something that works but possibly isn’t the optimal way of doing it.

We do huge amounts with Mikrotik gear and while the the default setup isn’t perfect, the available options are almost overwhelming and unfortunately they can give rise to users configuring the system in ways that actually cause issues. I’ve just stress tested a brand new RB4011 on our 2Gbps leased line and it didn’t suffer any packet loss. And that’s on the current 6.48.2 32-bit ARM build. So I can’t explain what you’re experiencing, just pointing out that it’s not what I’m seeing and the system will happily route 2 Gbps symmetrically. I accept that my testing isn’t on PPPoE and I’ll try and test that when I’m at home over the weekend.

Soldato
When I get a dream machine pro and g4 cameras is there a need to also have unifi Poe switches or will my Netgear Poe switch be fine?

Associate
The QoS is done by custom SoC, so it’s not hardware constrained. And that’s not being passive/aggressive it’s simply experience of inheriting systems that users are complaining about vociferously and that turn out to have been over-configured in very clever ways, because the open nature of the software lends itself to doing something that works but possibly isn’t the optimal way of doing it.

We do huge amounts with Mikrotik gear and while the the default setup isn’t perfect, the available options are almost overwhelming and unfortunately they can give rise to users configuring the system in ways that actually cause issues. I’ve just stress tested a brand new RB4011 on our 2Gbps leased line and it didn’t suffer any packet loss. And that’s on the current 6.48.2 32-bit ARM build. So I can’t explain what you’re experiencing, just pointing out that it’s not what I’m seeing and the system will happily route 2 Gbps symmetrically. I accept that my testing isn’t on PPPoE and I’ll try and test that when I’m at home over the weekend.

You were able to completely saturate the 2gbps link? Does your provider have a burst policy?

I suspect you don't have PPPoE taking up valuable CPU time, either.

I'm curious about this QoS SoC, though. Do you have some more information about it, I've not found anything and everyone on the forums seems to be desperate to get their hands on cake / fq_codel support.

Associate
That's strange. If you're on a controller version that still has them listed, can you check those settings in the classic settings? I can't remember at which version they removed it.

Roughly what was the load on the internet connection at the time you got that warning, or is it always there?

Still the same under the classic settings mate, load was 1% and for the past couple of months it's always said 100%/100%

Soldato
You were able to completely saturate the 2gbps link? Does your provider have a burst policy?

I suspect you don't have PPPoE taking up valuable CPU time, either.

I'm curious about this QoS SoC, though. Do you have some more information about it, I've not found anything and everyone on the forums seems to be desperate to get their hands on cake / fq_codel support.

Yes, we can saturate the connection using our backup system. All the details of the hardware subsystems for the RB4011 are in the Mikrotik forum thread when they launched the RB4011. The various SoC components are listed and the same sub components are used in many of the CCR range. Mikrotik have a couple of duff routers in the range (RB2011 and RB3011 come to mind) but the RB4011 is a very good router.

The USG line is a great router system but they’re woefully under-developed and other than the integration of things like the VLANs they are missing more features than they possess. The UDM range was supposed to fix all the deficiencies in the UniFi router line but the development has basically stalled and all the promise of the announcement has been tarnished by the defective implementation.

To be completely frank I really like Untangle and Mikrotik would be my second choice for an install. Beyond that I like the QNAP QHora, the QNAP Guardian range and I’d only really buy a USG now if I wanted the simplicity of the UniFi controller integration. The EdgeMax line of routers are very good too. And then Cisco have their RV range if you like that sort of thing.

Associate
To be completely frank I really like Untangle and Mikrotik would be my second choice for an install. Beyond that I like the QNAP QHora, the QNAP Guardian range and I’d only really buy a USG now if I wanted the simplicity of the UniFi controller integration. The EdgeMax line of routers are very good too. And then Cisco have their RV range if you like that sort of thing.

I currently have an entirely UniFi home system (other than CCTV) with 5 switches, 4 x APs, CK2+ and USG3 but the USG3 is an issue due to its limitations with QoS and VPN performance on my VM M600 connection and 4G backup, as well as the growing number of config.gateway.json entries which rule out a UXG if it ever leaves EA.

I do have a couple of 24/7 servers I could run router software on but still prefer a standalone appliance for routing. Hence I am putting together a list of routers and router software/small appliances to review and wonder what Untangle has that you prefer over the RB4011's software?

Associate
Hi,

I have just purchased an additional AP LR to add to my network.
I already have x2 that I work through the mobile app.

I plugged the 'new' AP in, it went white then I tried to add it as a standalone device (via the mobile app).
I scanned the QR code on the back of the AP - it did not join the network.
I continued manually (it had auto-loaded the info, presumably from the QR code).

The AP went blue and it said that it would appear in standalone devices.
It hasn't, I cannot see it and my mobile does not detect it.

What have I done wrong / what do I need to do to fix it?

Thanks

Associate
I purchased this from a popular auction site, it is in excellent condition and the seller has said it is working ok.
I can see via the mobile app on my ipad that it is listed as 'managed by other' - so I am guessing that is why it wont install.

A paperclip into the reset button does not clear it.

Not sure what I need to do?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Troubleshooting Devices that are not Resetting
If despite numerous tries to reset the device, it appears not to be resetting and boots back up to a blue LED, it could be because of one of the following reasons:

1. The device is connecting back to the UniFi Network Controller because it was not forgotten (see the above steps). After reconnecting to the controller and being re-adopted, it is retrieving its old configuration.

2. The reset button was not held down long enough when performing the physical reset steps above.

3. The reset button was held down too long when performing the physical reset steps above. This will initiate the TFTP Recovery process instead of resetting it to factory defaults.

If the UniFi device is not working after the reset process, make sure to try all the other methods described in this article and try swapping out the Ethernet cables and PoE injectors to eliminate any issues related to power or connectivity.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/205143490-UniFi-How-to-Reset-Devices-to-Factory-Defaults

Associate
I currently have 3x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO that service my 3 floor home and outside office.

As they are over 3 years old now I was wondering if things have moved on sufficiently to justify replacing them? How do newer models like the Netgear Orbi or TP-Link Deco compare?

I am not really up on the newer products so any advice would be appreciated.

Soldato
If you need the extra bandwidth that WiFi 6 can offer then it might be worth looking at an upgrade. If your current AP's are working fine and you're happy with the performance then save your money and stick with the AP-AC-PRO's

Associate
I currently have 3x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO that service my 3 floor home and outside office.

As they are over 3 years old now I was wondering if things have moved on sufficiently to justify replacing them? How do newer models like the Netgear Orbi or TP-Link Deco compare?

I am not really up on the newer products so any advice would be appreciated.

Avoid the Orbi. I've just moved from 2x Orbi 6s to 2xUnifi U6-Lites.

My main motivation was because the Orbi's regularly went out of sync, with the satellite leaving my main network unsecured, but I also wanted to be able to route my Guest network over a separate VLAN, which the Orbi could not do / didn't expose.

Peak speeds are about halved, and coverage according to the bars on my phone appears slightly less but the actual connection seems so much more reliable. I used to have to turn off wifi occasionally before when I had connectivity issues, but I've not done it once since going for the Unifi.

I'm hoping adding a U6-Pro when they have stock will help speeds and coverage massively, then the lite's can be used to fill in coverages at the extermities of the property.

Associate
Avoid the Orbi. I've just moved from 2x Orbi 6s to 2xUnifi U6-Lites.

My main motivation was because the Orbi's regularly went out of sync, with the satellite leaving my main network unsecured, but I also wanted to be able to route my Guest network over a separate VLAN, which the Orbi could not do / didn't expose.

Peak speeds are about halved, and coverage according to the bars on my phone appears slightly less but the actual connection seems so much more reliable. I used to have to turn off wifi occasionally before when I had connectivity issues, but I've not done it once since going for the Unifi.

I'm hoping adding a U6-Pro when they have stock will help speeds and coverage massively, then the lite's can be used to fill in coverages at the extermities of the property.

So is the UniFi 6 Professional a Wi-fi 6 upgrade version on the UAP-AC-Pro?

Back
Top Bottom