What's the best freebie you've ever had?

Associate
A circa £350 cot bed from Mothercare. 'Paid' for it using my credit card. It never appeared on my credit card bill.

When I was working away from home, a colleague was having trouble with his PC. He said if you can get it to boot, you can keep it. 30 seconds later, a nice Windows XP desktop. Used that instead of buying a laptop for when I was away.

Caporegime
I sent a camera lens back for an exchange. And I got a new one and a refund! This was not a trivial amount of money either!

I believe it was 1k

Soldato
I found a tray of six full pints of beer when I was just about to join a (huge) queue for the bar at a stadium gig.

I'm assuming my gain was someone else's loss.

Not sure if that counts for this thread.

Soldato
Previous owner of our house left a lawnmower and a strimmer in the garage. The mower wasn't brilliant so we replaced it, but after buying some replacement line, I still use the strimmer regularly.

They also left a couple of long retractable extension leads, use them pretty much every week too.

V F

V F

Soldato
I feel that I should grovel to the forum owners and mention the free mouse mat.

Someone had to whore themselves out ....

It would have to be that. I'm still using it from 2017 as a full desk pad for two puters and the mug as a pen holster.

Soldato
When I was a kid I used to collect the vouchers from cereal. I got the family a trip to cornwall and hotel stay out of that. Probably cost them a fortune for everything else but I thought I got a deal.
My first phone was a sony erikson that was collected ring pulls from coke cans too :D

When twitter was fairly new I won 4 red letter day competitions ha I don't think they had many people enter from home many I won! Was baron compared to how it is now. I won a bungee jump, a skydive, a spa day and a trip to a posh Indian restaurant in London.

Soldato
A 'made in store' pizza from Sainsburys...just had it made/picked it up from the pizza counter, went to the self service tills but there was no label to scan...said to the assistant guy and straight away he said 'just take it'. Did a manual entry thing so the weight was right for everything else
Dunno if it was the best freebie ever but prob the most surprising!

Soldato
When I moved into one of my houses years ago, the previous owner left a box in the shed. We looked through it, 12 tubes of caulk and 26 cardboard tubes with Chinese text on. Obvious what we did with the tubes of caulk over the years. However we didn't know what these cardboard tubes were. I googled it with no luck. Lastly we took some pics, sent to a friend at work who is chinese.

Turns out they were fireworks.

**** me..... they were LOUD. Loudest I have ever heard, pretty much on par or better than those used at events...

So yeah, free fireworks are the best freebee

Soldato
When I was a kid I used to collect the vouchers from cereal. I got the family a trip to cornwall and hotel stay out of that. Probably cost them a fortune for everything else but I thought I got a deal.
My first phone was a sony erikson that was collected ring pulls from coke cans too :D

I collected Time Out wrappers when I was a kid to get some free laps and an entry in to some go-karting competition. I don't think scoffing Time Outs helped with lap times tho :p
(99% sure it was Time Outs, could have been Wispas or somethingelse tho!)

Soldato
A 'made in store' pizza from Sainsburys...just had it made/picked it up from the pizza counter, went to the self service tills but there was no label to scan...said to the assistant guy and straight away he said 'just take it'. Did a manual entry thing so the weight was right for everything else
Dunno if it was the best freebie ever but prob the most surprising!
Reminds me of shopping last week. Scales hadn't been calibrated so got an onion for 4p ;)

Man of Honour
Is it French pauses? When I was learning French in primary school we used to count the number of times my teacher would say "err" in a lesson. It was hundreds.

I don’t think so, I asked my non French speaking wife if she hears me saying “er” a lot when I make a phone call to France.
She said “I don’t think you do, but you said “Palmer” a few times when Véronique called you the other week.”
I said, “Palmer? Palmer? are you sure? I don’t know anyone called Palmer”
She said, “You said that Véro was talking about when she, you, Henri, and Robert were kids, and the antics you all got up to, but you had told her that you hadn’t done most of the things she said.”
Then it came back to me, I had kept saying, “Pas moi” (not me), when Véro said, ‘Remember when you hid grandpa’s bicycle?’, or “Remember when you wedged a potato in Pascal’s exhaust pipe?”
My wife thought that I’d been saying Palmer, when I was saying pas moi.

Man of Honour
A week in a 5 star hotel in Portugal, car rental, some spending money and a trip to the grand prix at Estoril with pit passes for the weekend and dinner post race with Tyrrell (oh that dates it...) team bosses (Yay.. Ken!), drivers (Palmer and Alesi.. dates it even more) and main sponsor at a very nice restaurant in Lisbon.

Wasn't a bad holiday really.

Back
Top Bottom