Poll: what method do you use for unlocking your phone and are you concerned about the use of biometrics?

Phone Unlocking - how do you do yours?

• PIN

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • Password

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Fingerprint

Votes: 105 75.5%
  • Face recognition

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Pattern

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
What do you use to unlock your phone?

PIN
Pattern
Password
Fingerprint
Face recognition
Other

I've used PIN up till now but I'm now thinking of fingerprint unlock because of ease of use, though I'm concerned about my biometric data going to Google. Yes, Google say that doesn't happen, but they would say that. That said, your fingerprints are all over your screen anyway, they could always create a script in the OS which sends that data to them if they wanted.

What do other people use here and are you concerned about the use of your biometric data?

So you are worried about Google knowing your fingerprint but arent worried about all the rest of the data they are farming from your daily usage every time you access anything not to mention all the rest of the apps that are unquestionably leaking your info...

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
So you are worried about Google knowing your fingerprint but arent worried about all the rest of the data they are farming from your daily usage every time you access anything not to mention all the rest of the apps that are unquestionably leaking your info...

Of course, but privacy is a sliding scale - it's not "on" or "off". You do have some control over how much data you impart - such as the topics of your phones conversations, texts, images shared etc. You also have a choice over which apps you use or how you use those apps. But there are still many things those apps are doing which we are unaware of. One could not use a smartphone at all - which I did do for several years - but now I have one since I wanted to use Spotify, which of course harvests all sorts of data, but that's a choice I've made to use that app.

So, taking into consideration the fact that there is some data I have chosen to leak, and some which I am unaware of, why intentionally give out more. As long as we have the ability to do so, we should make considered and where possible, informed, choices.

Soldato
Fingerprint and PIN.

Have to say though, one of the things that I do to amuse myself when shopping during the pandemic is watch people forget they have a mask on and try to unlock their phones with face ID at the self-service tills. I know it's petty, but it makes me chuckle.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Unfortunately people are only answering part of the question.

The question is: what method do you use for unlocking your phone and are you concerned about the use of your biometric data?

Will kindly ask a mod to alter the thread title.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Face ID for me. I much prefer it over the fingerprint unlock which I used before facial recognition was a feature as there would be times when my skin would be bad (after DIY etc) where the sensor wouldn't acknowledge it was me.

PIN is always a fallback and I'm not worried about Apple collecting my biometric data.

Edit: Done the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Face ID for me. I much prefer it over the fingerprint unlock which I used before facial recognition was a feature as there would be times when my skin would be bad (after DIY etc) where the sensor wouldn't acknowledge it was me.

PIN is always a fallback and I'm not worried about Apple collecting my biometric data.

Edit: Done the title.

Thank you for editing the title, much appreciated.

Why are you not concerned about Apple collecting said data?

EDIT: The title looks the same to me :(

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Thank you for editing the title, much appreciated.

Why are you not concerned about Apple collecting said data?

EDIT: The title looks the same to me :(
The title is at the character limit so I've had to make a slight tweak.

I prefer Apple's policies on data collection in so much as they won't sell your data and promote privacy.

Also, their implementation is heavily locked down as the facial map/pattern is encrypted and sent to a local "Secure Enclave" in the device's CPU to confirm a match with the registered face. The stored facial data is a mathematical representation of key details of the face, and it is inaccessible to Apple or other parties.

Back on topic... I use it for convenience and find it much quicker and more reliable than the fingerprint sensor on older iPhones or my Samsung work phone.

Soldato
I believe all the implementations are essentially the same - fingerprints are stored in a secure location and the OS cant read them, it's only told if a fingerprint authenticates or not. Has there been any example of fingerprint data being stolen by an app or OS ?

Associate
Fingerprint (so also PIN fallback)
No I don't care about biometrics stealing. If you've ever used it, even if only once, then you might as well carry on.

Anything I care about has more than just biometric security. Tempting fate but I choose not to worry about something until it is a common proven issue. I think of it as a fast primary 'password' for some logins, almost irrelevant that's it's part of your unique-ish body.

Be more worried about your weak passwords and miscellaneous life tracking.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I believe all the implementations are essentially the same - fingerprints are stored in a secure location and the OS cant read them, it's only told if a fingerprint authenticates or not. Has there been any example of fingerprint data being stolen by an app or OS ?

And you trust this information?

I cannot find any examples of a data leak, but it comes down to whether you trust Google/Apple with this information and that they're not telling you porkies.

Associate
I don't believe everything they say. But in terms of the balance of risk, and my perceived chances of it ever impacting my security, health or finances; not bothered. I use biometrics knowing that someone could have it now, so what?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I don't believe everything they say. But in terms of the balance of risk, and my perceived chances of it ever impacting my security, health or finances; not bothered. I use biometrics knowing that someone could have it now, so what?

Would you rather a password leak or fingerprint leak? Can you imagine the ramifications of the latter? At least you can change your password.

Back
Top Bottom