UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [4th - 6th May 2021]

Man of Honour
He really is bang average. Sometimes he'll do something incredible, and he's good enough to bang them in against weaker teams, but he offers so little in tough matches

Edit: ok bang average is pushing it - he's obviously good, but he's so short of his reputation
He's an example of a player that has not inconsiderable talent but doesn't have consistently high end product like the best players do. He's also very petulant at times, I remember some game years ago where he did a dive and then had a massive paddy because he didn't get a freekick. For me there is absolutely no comparison with Mbappe, or indeed Messi when he was at Barca.

Soldato
He's an example of a player that has not inconsiderable talent but doesn't have consistently high end product like the best players do. He's also very petulant at times, I remember some game years ago where he did a dive and then had a massive paddy because he didn't get a freekick. For me there is absolutely no comparison with Mbappe, or indeed Messi when he was at Barca.

I can't see the original post but assume this is about Neymar. If so yes he is a word rhyming with tick but he is consistent do I don't buy that.
You don't score 175 in 259 if you aren't consistent.

Associate
Modric and Kroos are definitely slowing down. Both utterly class, but you can't play both of them against a very good dynamic team, especially if the third midfielder is Casimero.

Madrid need a reset.

Kante could have played in midfield by himself last night - my word what a player.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Modric and Kroos are definitely slowing down. Both utterly class, but you can't play both of them against a very good dynamic team, especially if the third midfielder is Casimero.

Madrid need a reset.

Kante could have played in midfield by himself last night - my word what a player.

If the rest of your team is young and top class then Kroos and Modric can play but their team isn't even close to being that. It was so easy for Chelsea yesterday and the only real chances RM created were from crosses. They barely got a sniff through other avenues. Chelsea are very well set up under Tuchel and they have a young, fit team that can out work most other teams.

Associate
If the rest of your team is young and top class then Kroos and Modric can play but their team isn't even close to being that. It was so easy for Chelsea yesterday and the only real chances RM created were from crosses. They barely got a sniff through other avenues. Chelsea are very well set up under Tuchel and they have a young, fit team that can out work most other teams.
Tuchel has been great for Chelsea. Lampard may have brought in the players, but he wasn't get enough out of them. Tuchel has them looking like a very, very good team.

Man of Honour
Was thinking just now, suppose West Ham finish above Chelsea in 4th place, and Chelsea win the CL. And then suppose Arsenal win the Europa. This would mean West Ham not qualifying for the CL, despite finishing top four....

Imagine that drama, West Ham jubilant celebrations at the end of the PL season, only to get cheeked by Chelsea at the end of the month :)

Associate
I want City to win it, but think it will be Chelsea. Outstanding achievement from Chelsea though considering the sacking. Yet again Roman pulling the trigger quickly and ruthlessly has worked. Going to look great at PSG if Tuchel beats City.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I want City to win it, but think it will be Chelsea. Outstanding achievement from Chelsea though considering the sacking. Yet again Roman pulling the trigger quickly and ruthlessly has worked. Going to look great at PSG if Tuchel beats City.

What do you mean? Chelsea were some peoples favourites to win the league this season. Most teams get a post sacking boost and the bigger the gulf between the teams potential and their current form, the bigger that boost will be. Fat frank got them to the knockout stages as well. Chelsea aren't some poor underdog team. They spent £220m last summer.

Thats part of the reason Lampard was sacked. They were massively underperforming and how they have a decent manager.

If there was any season it was going to be easy to get into the CL later stages it is this year as well. Barca, RM, Juve are all pretty poor and a shadow of themselves.

Associate
Fat frank got them to the knockout stages as well

You could have got Chelsea out of that group.

Chelsea were some peoples favourites to win the league this season

All I heard was people saying it was a year or two too early to have them as champions. I heard very few people convinced they would win it. On day one you would've had to be nuts to go anything other than Liverpool or City.

If there was any season it was going to be easy to get into the CL later stages it is this year as well. Barca, RM, Juve

You could go back and state that for every CL in the last 20 years finding big teams that flopped or were in decline.

fez

fez

Caporegime
You could have got Chelsea out of that group.

I could have got City out of theirs and into the SF as well I reckon. People are stuff gushing about City at the moment.

All I heard was people saying it was a year or two too early to have them as champions. I heard very few people convinced they would win it. On day one you would've had to be nuts to go anything other than Liverpool or City.

I agree, I would have gone for City of Liverpool over Chelsea but I thought they were going to do really well. Good mix of youth and experience and they had just spend big on what looked like very good young players.

You could go back and state that for every CL in the last 20 years finding big teams that flopped or were in decline.

I'm not sure you could. When was the last time RM, Barca, Liverpool, United, Juve were all really sub par the same year. There have been easier and harder years yes but this year is going to be the easiest win for any while I would say. City will have faced 2 teams in any sort of form if they win it and PSG barely showed up outside of the first half of the first leg.

Soldato
Was thinking just now, suppose West Ham finish above Chelsea in 4th place, and Chelsea win the CL. And then suppose Arsenal win the Europa. This would mean West Ham not qualifying for the CL, despite finishing top four....

Imagine that drama, West Ham jubilant celebrations at the end of the PL season, only to get cheeked by Chelsea at the end of the month :)

I remember something similar happening to Tottenham some years back. The CL winners not finishing top 4 in the PL and pushing out Spurs. Maybe the CL winners then were also Chelsea.

Edit- It was 2012, Chelsea finished 6th in the PL, won the CL and pushed out 4th placed Tottenham.

Man of Honour
I think the difference is you are now allowed 5 teams in the CL if you win it. So 4th place will only be denied this season if teams outside the top4 win both the CL and EL. Unless Arsenal win the EL it's guarenteed that 4th place will get into the CL regardless of who wins it this season.

Associate
People are stuff gushing about City at the moment.

And even more people seem to be bitter about them getting any praise, this is the same gushing that they used to do over united even though year after year they under performed in the CL, especially away from home when fergie wouldn't go for teams in the first leg. You only had to look at the criticism Sterling got, people loving his drop in form. Then he shut them up and now he's back to being crap again and people cannot contain their joy. Same with Foden, any praise he gets has them foaming at the mouth. Or they bought everything, despite United doing the same for years and most other teams before them.

I'm not sure you could. When was the last time RM, Barca, Liverpool, United, Juve were all really sub par the same year

Well yeah you've added even more teams now form the original...

Barca, RM, Juve are all pretty poor and a shadow of themselves.

So by the same token you could say Liverpools last CL win had plenty of teams in poor form with a higher CL pedigree than Juve. After all Spurs got to the final with Ajax, Barca and Liverpool making up the semis. I wouldn't even call Juve not being competitive an issue, they have won it once! The German teams are more significant in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom