• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
I don't think there will be another drop before the new LHT cards come out.
It depends on how the limits are applied. If there is any hardware element, there could be some outstanding stock that was already in the production chain. If its all firmware/software, then not so much.
Or they could have diverted non limited chips to production of miner cards, it depends how far along the chain they were. I guess we wait and see.

Associate
I tried a search, but didnt find confirmed case. Just wondering has anybody bothered to RMA a 3080 or 90 FE because of Coil whine?

In some games, mine is very irritating. In others its not noticeable at all. Just not sure if its worth bothering to roll the RMA dice ?

My previous 970 would only coil whine when FPS went above 200 in a game menu. This card whines at any FPS. GTA V seems to be very bad for it.

Permabanned
I tried a search, but didnt find confirmed case. Just wondering has anybody bothered to RMA a 3080 or 90 FE because of Coil whine?

In some games, mine is very irritating. In others its not noticeable at all. Just not sure if its worth bothering to roll the RMA dice ?

My previous 970 would only coil whine when FPS went above 200 in a game menu. This card whines at any FPS. GTA V seems to be very bad for it.

Some have had success reducing it with a voltage curve. Luckily my 3080 is whine free.

Associate

Have you tried the undervolt trick, not done myself but others report it cuts it as well as dropping temps and power consumption.

Associate
Have you tried the undervolt trick, not done myself but others report it cuts it as well as dropping temps and power consumption.

Yep, been undervolting mine from day one. I started at 1850@850mv, which seemed stable ... but got a crash in Titanfall 2 and hard-freeze in GTA V. So dropped to 1820@850Mv now.

It makes the card quieter, but does not seem to change the coil whine much. At first I thought it did, but its still audible
Some have had success reducing it with a voltage curve. Luckily my 3080 is whine free.
Which 3080 do you have?
My 3080fe before had just as much / more whine than this sadly :(
But I hear the FE cards are more prone to it.

Did find people having it even on Strix OCs... but seems less.

I dont help myself by having my PC on my desk either. Probably be far less bothered by it if I just moved it further away! :cry:

Permabanned
Yep, been undervolting mine from day one. I started at 1850@850mv, which seemed stable ... but got a crash in Titanfall 2 and hard-freeze in GTA V. So dropped to 1820@850Mv now.

It makes the card quieter, but does not seem to change the coil whine much. At first I thought it did, but its still audible

Which 3080 do you have?
My 3080fe before had just as much / more whine than this sadly :(
But I hear the FE cards are more prone to it.

Did find people having it even on Strix OCs... but seems less.

I dont help myself by having my PC on my desk either. Probably be far less bothered by it if I just moved it further away! :cry:

3080 FE, 1000W Fractal PSU, case on desk about 2 feet away, I cant hear a thing. Don't notice anything when gaming, tried heaven benchmark at 1080p low (runs about 350 fps), not noticed anything. Got lucky perhaps.

There was talk of running a bench constantly for a good while that may help "run it in".

Associate
There was talk of running a bench constantly for a good while that may help "run it in".
I think Gibbo recommends looping Heaven.

This card whines at any FPS.
Sometimes it's the combination of kit that causes it. Do you have another PSU you can sub in or alternatively try the card in another machine to see if it's still as bad?

Associate
3080 FE, 1000W Fractal PSU, case on desk about 2 feet away, I cant hear a thing. Don't notice anything when gaming, tried heaven benchmark at 1080p low (runs about 350 fps), not noticed anything. Got lucky perhaps.

You got very lucky! While I had the 3080fe, it was easily the loudest thing in an otherwise silent system. Intially the coil-whine, the once the fans ramp up they drown out everything else.

Oddly I get very little whine on Heaven.

People often forget to mention this when they complain about coil whine. I take it you have two seperate PCIE leads going into the card ?
I have the Corsair 12-pin cable. It connects to 2x ports on the PSU. So yea, card has 2 PSU feeds.

I think Gibbo recommends looping Heaven.

Sometimes it's the combination of kit that causes it. Do you have another PSU you can sub in or alternatively try the card in another machine to see if it's still as bad?

I had some PSU issues, so actually between through 4 different units now. (2x RM750i's, 1x old HX750 and my current RM850x)
Coil whine is about the same on all of them. One of the RM750i's had its own coil-whine on top of that. Which I RMA'ed and got back the RM850x I have now.

I also tried using the Corsair 12-pin cable, versus 2 separate PSU cables and the nvidia adapter, again same amount of whine regardless.

Associate
I'd recommend looping GPU Test 2 if you have 3DMark, pretty stressful.

Heaven seems to be lightweight nowadays.

3DMark was on sale not long ago, so I picked it up. Been running its stress tests, and oddly get very little coil-whine on them. Also heats up the VRAM less.
Seems older games (GTA V!!) both cause the most coil whine and heat the VRAM up the most.

Also oddly managed to pass runs of the stress test with 98-99% at my 850mv@1850 undervolt, to then have a game crash. So not sure it actually loads up the GPU more than a real game? or perhaps just loads it in different way?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Had zero coil whine when I had my 3090FE in my 2700X build with an RMx850 PSU.

Popped it into my new 5950X build with an RMx1000 PSU and it’s turned into a whiny little *******. :(

Will try some heavy duty usage to try and bed it in. Bit annoying though!

Associate

Popped it into my new 5950X build with an RMx1000 PSU and it’s turned into a whiny little *******. :(

Do you still have the RMx850? If you do, try using that. See if it gets rid of the whine again?

Soldato

Are you pushing notably higher framerates now? A 2700X would hold a 3090 back quite a bit in many scenarios, and higher framerates and utilisation will cause more coil whine.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Nope, was running 4K on both setups and even limiting the 3090FE via vsync at 60Hz makes no difference.

Generally running at 4K/120Hz.

The other PSU is still in use with my old 2080Ti and I can’t be bothered to swap them over as I purposely specced the 1Kw PSU for the 5950X build.

I can’t hear it when there’s audio playing but it’s a tad annoying when it’s quiet.

Back
Top Bottom