What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Recently had a break series and saw a couple of films.

Palm Springs - 4/10. Pretty trash IMO not sure why all of a sudden there is glut of 'Groundhog Day' shows and films. This one was bad enough to be worthy of Adam Sandler. Zero likeable characters, even worse acting, and a pointless story.

Promising Young Woman - 7.5/10 Enjoyed this one. Carey Mulligan is great. So strange to see her with straight hair. Reading the description I thought it was going be much darker than it was. That was a little disappointing, as was the ending and build up to it, but only because everything before that was so good so my expectations had been set.

Associate
The new Mortal Kombat. 3/10. You know what you're getting yourself into but it's still pretty awful. The opening scene gets you thinking "actually they might have come good this time", and then it's very quickly downhill from there.

Associate
Fractured - Sam Worthington (Netflix)

Synopsis - "After his wife and daughter disappear from an ER, a man conducts a panicked search and become convinced the hospital is hiding something".

We quite enjoyed this, it kept us watching just find out if everything was in his mind or was the employees at the hospital up to something sinister. Although our guess on what had happened turned out correct, we still wasn't sure until the final reveal. Some of the main character's actions were frustrating and some plot points were conveniently forgotten or pushed aside to keep you guessing.

I'd give it 7/10, enjoyable enough.

Soldato
The Mauritanian.

Very good but hard to watch. Really glad that Tahar Rahim got awarded for his performance. I'll try and watch more of the stuff he's done.

7/10

Oh and **** you Obama!

Caporegime
Midsommar (Director's Cut).

Adds around another 25 mins to the length of the film.

As I enjoyed the first release I found it well worth seeing, though there are one or two aspects that I hoped would be covered, although I guess they were albeit indirectly.

Currently, my favourite director and I can't wait to see what his third major release will be.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yesterday I watched Blue Streak 7/10 followed by Lucky logan 7/10

Today while eating my £10 home delivered Hangover McDonalds
I watched a couple of Jason Statham movies, Wild Card 7/10 and Redemption 7/10

Soldato
The Courier - 7½/10

Cold War spy Greville Wynne and his Russian source try to put an end to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Based on a true event, Benedick Cumberbatch is a regular business man, used to smuggle secrets our of the USSR by the CIA and MI6. I feel like they tried to keep this close to the truth (of course I have no idea, but it doesn't feel over the top at all). Decent movie, well acted, good story and interesting at the same time.

Soldato
Watched Nomadland at the weekend. 7.5/10

Enjoyed it, good performance from McDormand as usual, the fact most of the cast weren't actors gave it some added poignancy. Something a bit different...makes me glad I'm not trapped in poverty.

Best Picture though? Well, it wouldn't have won in a normal year, decent enough film but didn't really have much competition.

Caporegime
Snowpiercer - we watched the series before this and unfortunately didn't rate (much preferred the show). The ending was disappointing as well; whole train dies bar two survivors but at least a polar bear (which was probably thinking - hhhhmm two free meals) made it.

Back
Top Bottom