Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
That's a good question: how does the budget cap work with engines? Does a team supplying 4 teams end up with more development money to spend on engines than a team supplying 2, for example?
I believe engine suppliers get additional funds over and above the cap, but I’m unsure how much.

Remember RB asked for an Engine freeze and got it from 2022 until, I think, 2025. This is for the next engine formula.

Soldato
I thought the budget cap just plain didn't cover engine development? It excludes engine supply deals, and there was talk of implementing an engine development budget cap but none yet...

But not looked too closely, either way RB went from spending $250-300 million+ to $145 million (dropping to $135 million), so they have somewhere north of $100 million to spend :eek:

Man of Honour
I see that the FIA are planning contingency to keep the 23 race calendar in the event that other races drop off with big question marks over Turkey and Brazil; Nurburgring and Mugello suggested to step in again but also the possibility that we see a double header at Silverstone, Monza or Paul Ricard.

I think I can speak for everyone in saying that I barely want to see one race at Paul Ricard; let alone two on consecutive weekends....

Caporegime
Mugello would be great though! Thought it was a shame when they announced Imola instead of Mugello to fill the gap...
Mugello is an awesome race track, I'm just not sure it's a good RACING track. It's too narrow really and we only remember it from last year because of the huge pile up.

Soldato
Mugello is an awesome race track, I'm just not sure it's a good RACING track. It's too narrow really and we only remember it from last year because of the huge pile up.

Even outside the pileup there were plenty of overtakes and an interesting race, or so I thought, but it was a while ago... Tried but failed to find some stats :p

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Man of Honour
Turkish Grand Prix has been cancelled :(

Two races to be held at the Red Bull Ring instead now; French GP moves to 20th June, Styrian GP is on 27th June with the Austrian to follow on the 4th of July... at least its not 2 races at Paul Ricard but would really rather have seen Mugello or Nurburgring or even Hockenheim instead of two Austria races.

Edit: China and Turkey are now on a "reserve" list for later in the year as there are still big concerns over races in Singapore, Japan, USA, Brazil, Mexico and Australia....

Caporegime
Two races to be held at the Red Bull Ring instead now

Just cancel the race, already. It's a 23 race calendar! We can afford to lose a race. It's not like last year where we trying to cram in enough to make up a decent calender.

Gah! And moving the French GP means it now clashes with IndyCar so Grosjean can't get his planned demo run on race day.

Soldato
Shame it's not Mugello but I quite liked the double-headers at the same track last season, and 3 races in 3 weeks is always good, for us spectators at least :p

Man of Honour
Just cancel the race, already. It's a 23 race calendar! We can afford to lose a race. It's not like last year where we trying to cram in enough to make up a decent calender.

Gah! And moving the French GP means it now clashes with IndyCar so Grosjean can't get his planned demo run on race day.

It appears they're trying to keep up the numbers as they're expecting to have to cancel races later in the year (and presumably not replace them); seems a lot of F1 staff were hoping it would just get canned though as well

Back
Top Bottom