BT increases target for boost to broadband

Mobster
Soldato
BT is preparing to accelerate its investment which will bring superfast full-fibre broadband to millions more homes as concerns ease over the company’s pensions black hole.

The telecoms operator is about to publish more ambitious targets for its broadband rollout which will include enhanced coverage in the most remote parts of the country.

BT had previously pledged to lay full-fibre cables to 20m homes and businesses by the mid-to-late 2020s, but chief executive Philip Jansen is now poised to go further and faster.

The move is expected to be announced on Thursday when BT publishes full-year results alongside the outcome of its triennial pension review.

Analysts are expecting Mr Jansen to be handed greater financial flexibility, with the pension deficit coming in £2.2bn lower than expected at £7.5bn. As a result BT will be under less pressure to channel profits to plugging this gap, and more able to invest.

Under BT’s current plans, around 20pc of the nation – Britain’s most sparsely populated regions – has been deemed unviable for commercially funded full-fibre upgrades.

Ministers had planned to spend £5bn on subsidies by 2025 to ensure infrastructure builders still upgrade broadband in those rural areas.

With pension pressure subsiding and the Government’s super deduction policy allowing BT to cut its tax bill if it invests, Mr Jansen has a brighter financial backdrop in which to spend BT’s own cash.

BT is now in line to reduce the financial burden on the Government by investing more money in rural areas.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/08/bt-increasestarget-boostto-broadband/

So we should find out this coming Thursday about new areas for FTTP coverage and hopefully some dates for rollout too.

Edit:

BT is preparing to accelerate its investment which will bring superfast full-fibre broadband to millions more homes as concerns ease over the company’s pensions black hole.

The telecoms operator is about to publish more ambitious targets for its broadband rollout which will include enhanced coverage in the most remote parts of the country.

BT had previously pledged to lay full-fibre cables to 20m homes and businesses by the mid-to-late 2020s, but chief executive Philip Jansen is now poised to go further and faster.

The former Worldpay boss has previously vowed to “build like fury” to meet Boris Johnson’s target of ensuring 85pc of the nation has gigabit speeds by 2025 – a key part of the Tories’ levelling up agenda.

The move is expected to be announced on Thursday when BT publishes full-year results alongside the outcome of its triennial pension review.

Analysts are expecting Mr Jansen to be handed greater financial flexibility, with the pension deficit coming in £2.2bn lower than expected at £7.5bn. As a result BT will be under less pressure to channel profits to plugging this gap, and more able to invest.

The company is also hoping to sell a stake in BT Sport, allowing it to share the hefty financial burden of paying for TV sports rights and free up more money to invest in full fibre.

The Telegraph revealed last month that BT had appointed investment bank Lazard to explore a partial sale of its TV arm, with ITV, Amazon, Disney and Dazn among the interested parties.

BT’s plan to boost its full-fibre targets comes as Ofcom chief executive Dame Melanie Dawes urges infrastructure builders to make even bolder commitments on broadband.

Ofcom will announce this week that 21pc of homes now have full-fibre broadband, up from 12pc last year.

BT share price
Day
09:0010:0011:0012:0013:0014:0015:0016:00169,0170,0171,0172,0Previous close: 171.2
1 week
3.54%
1 mth
11.10%
3 mths
36.22%
YTD
28.24%
1 year
48.45%
Last
Change
+ / - %
-0.93%
Time
7 May
More share information on
Speaking to The Sunday Telegraph, Dame Melanie welcomed the progress but said that more action is needed following the publication of Ofcom’s broadband pricing framework.

The regulator told broadband builders in March that wholesale prices for full fibre will not be capped until 2031 at the earliest, handing the industry more certainty to invest.

Dame Melanie added: “Following the access review statement we put out a few weeks ago now, we are really looking to industry to step it up.

“We have seen really good commitments already ... but we think the framework we have set out means they can go even further and faster.”

Under BT’s current plans, around 20pc of the nation – Britain’s most sparsely populated regions – has been deemed unviable for commercially funded full-fibre upgrades.

Ministers had planned to spend £5bn on subsidies by 2025 to ensure infrastructure builders still upgrade broadband in those rural areas.

However, Chancellor Rishi Sunak has slashed that pledge to just £1.2bn.

With pension pressure subsiding and the Government’s super deduction policy allowing BT to cut its tax bill if it invests, Mr Jansen has a brighter financial backdrop in which to spend BT’s own cash.

BT is now in line to reduce the financial burden on the Government by investing more money in rural areas.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't get your hopes up. Even when areas are announced, there's literally no telling when you'll get 'done', if ever. My area was announced nearly two years ago and has been 'in progress' for 18 months with no end in sight or idea when I'll get service.

Soldato
links on a pay-wall, but im not holding my breath for rural areas.

ive said it before, all of the parties involved need to start talking to each other. last year the council renewed all of the pavements here, they could've saved a fortune and run in ducting for FTTP then but i bet it never occurred to anyone.

i can see starlink getting more and more popular for rural areas. i bet openreach will pull their finger out then when cabled isp start losing business..

Soldato
Don't get your hopes up. Even when areas are announced, there's literally no telling when you'll get 'done', if ever. My area was announced nearly two years ago and has been 'in progress' for 18 months with no end in sight or idea when I'll get service.
Swings and roundabouts. My area wasn't even announced. Full fibre was just suddenly available. vDSL in my area is shockingly bad, and Virgin were the only choice for high speed at the time.

Mobster
Soldato
OP

The former Worldpay boss has previously vowed to “build like fury” to meet Boris Johnson’s target of ensuring 85pc of the nation has gigabit speeds by 2025 – a key part of the Tories’ levelling up agenda.

The company is also hoping to sell a stake in BT Sport, allowing it to share the hefty financial burden of paying for TV sports rights and free up more money to invest in full fibre.

The Telegraph revealed last month that BT had appointed investment bank Lazard to explore a partial sale of its TV arm, with ITV, Amazon, Disney and Dazn among the interested parties.

BT’s plan to boost its full-fibre targets comes as Ofcom chief executive Dame Melanie Dawes urges infrastructure builders to make even bolder commitments on broadband.

Ofcom will announce this week that 21pc of homes now have full-fibre broadband, up from 12pc last year.

BT share price
Day
09:0010:0011:0012:0013:0014:0015:0016:00169,0170,0171,0172,0Previous close: 171.2
1 week
3.54%
1 mth
11.10%
3 mths
36.22%
YTD
28.24%
1 year
48.45%
Last
Change
+ / - %
-0.93%
Time
7 May
More share information on
Speaking to The Sunday Telegraph, Dame Melanie welcomed the progress but said that more action is needed following the publication of Ofcom’s broadband pricing framework.

The regulator told broadband builders in March that wholesale prices for full fibre will not be capped until 2031 at the earliest, handing the industry more certainty to invest.

Dame Melanie added: “Following the access review statement we put out a few weeks ago now, we are really looking to industry to step it up.

“We have seen really good commitments already ... but we think the framework we have set out means they can go even further and faster.”

However, Chancellor Rishi Sunak has slashed that pledge to just £1.2bn.

Caporegime
I've never really understood the role that Ofcom are meant to be performing.

Their focus as a regulator always seems to be on consumer-facing competition - ensuring you can switch easily, making sure that Openreach don't display a preference to any ISP so that you have lots of choice of buying exactly the same physical service from hundreds of different places etc., but never really seem to do anything as far as ensuring service quality is concerned. They say they don't deal with complaints but if you complain to Ofcom they'd use that to gather stats to publish saying which providers are attracting the most complaints. They seem to have no power in situations where e.g. Virgin Media run a network so hot that people have 8 months of packet loss and peak time congestion - as long as the ISP lets you leave your contract that seems to be good enough for Ofcom, regardless of whether there are any other viable providers to move to.

Soldato
I'm still sitting here, out of contract with VM but unwilling to commit to a new 18 month one because I have no idea at all when FTTP will arrive :mad:

Caporegime
I'm going to go with 'not in the next 18 months' if nothing has been announced for your location. Renew that contract.

V F

V F

Soldato

There's fiber cable sitting 10 yards from my house that has been sitting since 2017 and still nothing done with it. That's my weakest link. From house to cabinet as it has some aluminium cable between some boxes.

V F

V F

Soldato
Sigh.... Yet again no upgrade. It's going to be quicker to buy a new house. :(

Or old before having really fast Internet? I remember in 1999 playing Quake 3 with Americans with them on cable and thinking, I'll have that in a few years. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Not until somewhat that happened in 2016 and even still, I still don't have the fiber speeds of those Americans that they had back in 1999.

Back
Top Bottom