Ebay

Permabanned
Hello, has anybody updated their ebay selling accounts via bank account rather than paypal and had any problems, or can see any potential problem ?

Did that straight away because of the endless problems I was having with Paypal.

Paypal have become amazingly stupid. They introduced a new verification systems and for some reason it kept on failing with me. Eventually they blocked my card, despite the fact that VISA did not. I phoned Paypal to sort the mess out and they promptly told me the card could not be unblocked, so I can now only buy items through sellers who use the new system. OK Stuff you Paypal! I moved the new ebay system and closed my Paypal account. Have had no problems ever since. New system works just fine. Like I said, Paypal have just become really stupid lately.

Permabanned
If it takes several days for the money to come through, do you wait until its in your bank account before you post the item or just trust ebay to pay it in?

Post it immediately. It speeds up the money coming through. The money comes through after the tracking number shows up on the appropriate system ( meaning it is in the post ), or if the buyer has left feedback ( which implies it has arrived ).

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Yip been doing it this way for a few weeks now. No different other than the payment taking several days to clear into my bank account. That’s not great tbh.

Also finding that as a buyer I’m not getting the option to pay using PayPal for low-priced items. Again not great tbh.

Soldato
Post it immediately. It speeds up the money coming through. The money comes through after the tracking number shows up on the appropriate system ( meaning it is in the post ), or if the buyer has left feedback ( which implies it has arrived ).

Not true. I sold an item on Thursday, was paid Friday morning, dispatched Friday afternoon, added tracking straight away, it arrived with the buyer yesterday, and I am still to see a penny in my bank account, whereas before it would have been in there Friday morning. Not to mention the fees with the 80% off were £4 rather than the usual £1.

Coupled with the fact I'm guessing they can now just take money directly from your bank as they see fit if the buyer raises a dispute means its probably the last thing I'll sell on there tbh

Soldato
Switched over pretty early, gotta say the £1 offers were amazing since didn't have to give a cut to PayPal but sounds like those have dried up now.

Permabanned
Not true. I sold an item on Thursday, was paid Friday morning, dispatched Friday afternoon, added tracking straight away, it arrived with the buyer yesterday, and I am still to see a penny in my bank account, whereas before it would have been in there Friday morning. Not to mention the fees with the 80% off were £4 rather than the usual £1.

Coupled with the fact I'm guessing they can now just take money directly from your bank as they see fit if the buyer raises a dispute means its probably the last thing I'll sell on there tbh

Whats not true? With ebay payments you will not get paid until there is at least some proof of postage. But you can't expect for anything to happen on the weekend. And no, they can't take money directly, they have to ask and you have to say yes.

Soldato
Whats not true? With ebay payments you will not get paid until there is at least some proof of postage. But you can't expect for anything to happen on the weekend. And no, they can't take money directly, they have to ask and you have to say yes.

You said the money comes through when the tracking is added, it was added 2 days ago and no money yet. And I can expect for it to happen over the weekend, that wasn't an issue before. Its objectively a worse system in every way

Soldato
Incorrect.

It's delayed simply because their payment provider is like any other, takes a few days.

Paypal would pre release funds whilst they waited to be paid by the payment provider. That's why they were "instant".

They DO NOT require tracking details to be entered.

I've sold over a grands worth of stuff on ebay since I changed to the new payment system.

Soldato
You said the money comes through when the tracking is added, it was added 2 days ago and no money yet. And I can expect for it to happen over the weekend, that wasn't an issue before. Its objectively a worse system in every way
Banks work on business days. Weekends don't count.

Soldato
It feels like a backwards move imo. Gone from instantly being paid to waiting days and days, especially as they don't pay out on weekends or bank holidays. If you have a long dispatch time it will just put off buyers, so you end up sending items out hoping the buyer doesn't complain for some silly reason and get the payment frozen. ebay fees are already high and its just them trying to grab even more of the pie.

I am surprised Paypal and just going to sit back and accept losing 2.9% on all ebay sales, plus the amount of money from that just sitting in peoples accounts that they gain interest on. Paypal have the payment system with everyone already registered so I would imagine they could start their own ebay competitor relatively easily.

PayPal won’t lose out eBay is the merchant instead of the seller now so PayPal will still take a cut from eBay if PayPal is used.

I find it better that eBay take any fees before your Payout now. Instead of a monthly invoice.

Permabanned

I see.
But ebay were slowly taking control of Paypal too. ebay could withhold funds paid in to paypal using the old system, so really nothing has changed.
I mean personally I think ebay and Paypal are just slowly burying themselves under ridiculous rules. They are trying to clamp down on the unscrupulous sellers and buyers but they are introducing so many rules they are annoying the good sellers and buyers. I think the service by both Paypal and ebay has seriously declined in the past few years. I won't use either of them now unless absolutely necessary. It's the same with everything, I suppose, but you have to ask how far do we really need to limit everything to cater for a few dishonest traders.

Soldato
I see.
But ebay were slowly taking control of Paypal too. ebay could withhold funds paid in to paypal using the old system, so really nothing has changed.

True, but afaik only for new sellers with high value items? I've never had a payment held, but then I've had my account for ~17 years! Agreed they are making the process too laborious, and the fees have been constantly creeping up. I remember when they were only 2-3%? Now it's what, 12-13%?

With all of this, it's getting to the point I'd rather sell on here (if it's something which can go in the MM), or use Gumtree for local collection. There's less risk, I get paid instantly, and whilst I might get less for the item, I don't have to pay fees on top.

Soldato
As an end user, I don't care about the technicalities. PayPal payments went into my account instantly, the new system takes 2-3 days at least, how is that not worse?
Personally taking longer to get payment doesn't bother me, I'm not robbing Paul to pay Pete. I like the single end to end system and hated that PayPal would keep the 3.5% transaction fee when you cancelled or had to refund an order.

Soldato
I've done it because, Well you have no choice if you want to continue to use Ebay.

The negative thing about it now is that people are not posting out items until the funds have cleared in their bank account, Which is understandable but this can be 24-48 hours depending on yours and their banks. These recent changes just make delays for everyone involved.
Ebay seriously need some strong competition.

Associate
I've done it because, Well you have no choice if you want to continue to use Ebay.

The negative thing about it now is that people are not posting out items until the funds have cleared in their bank account, Which is understandable but this can be 24-48 hours depending on yours and their banks. These recent changes just make delays for everyone involved.
Ebay seriously need some strong competition.

I've yet to link up my bank account and probably won't until I need to sell something. Are people saying that the funds won't clear until you have provided a tracking number? I suppose you could do the online postage, provide the tracking number and then wait for the funds to clear?

Not only ebay need serious competition so do virginmedia!

Soldato
You do still get the £1 offer on ebay payments, as I had one last week.

The only annoying thing is the time it takes to get paid, so make sure you adjust your listing accordingly. I had to wait 4 days for the payment to clear before sending the parcel. Fortunately my buyer was understanding.

Back
Top Bottom