• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now the best time to sell your GPU?

Associate
But why do that ...don't you want a 3080 for gaming ? ...it's such a nice card, why waste it like this?

Barely any games make use of it, its been mining for the majority of the time. Metro EE is the only game that has pushed it since... cyberpunk back in december?! If someone wants to pay me £1000 more than what I paid for it i'll happily take it, put that money into Ethereum or another crypto and make even more.

If it was £1000 I wouldn't think of selling it, but now its closer to £2000.

Permabanned
Barely any games make use of it, its been mining for the majority of the time. Metro EE is the only game that has pushed it since... cyberpunk back in december?! If someone wants to pay me £1000 more than what I paid for it i'll happily take it, put that money into Ethereum or another crypto and make even more.

If it was £1000 I wouldn't think of selling it, but now its closer to £2000.

I read that only very few are paying that , instead they're messers on there , buying and spoiling to disruption scapling.

Associate
I read that only very few are paying that , instead they're messers on there , buying and spoiling to disruption scapling.
CEX is paying £1500 cash. I put it up for a laugh yesterday on FB marketplace and someone offered 0.65 Eth (£1700-1800), they are most definitely going for that price.

Permabanned
CEX is paying £1500 cash. I put it up for a laugh yesterday on FB marketplace and someone offered 0.65 Eth (£1700-1800), they are most definitely going for that price.

Watch you don't get scammed.

With Cex take it to thier shop and they will knock the price down :cry:

I reckon some mad people are paying £1000 to £1500 brand new.

Soldato
I would be tempted to sell my 6800 as well seeing as thats a tidy profit.
Still do a bit of gaming though and I dont think I could go 6-12 months without a decent card.

Associate
I have sold 4 gpu to them over the last month from a Nvidia 680 upwards, always got offered the money they advertised on the website. The gpu was tested and the transaction done in half an hour every time

Associate
In normal times you wouldn't see this but even if you are a serious gamer why not sell on your new 3000 or 6000 series at todays prices and then use the profit made to buy a better card when prices return to normal levels like AMD say they want them to (as long as you got them near MRSP eg FE or MBA). So if you bought say a 6800 as above, sold for 920, then when prices are back to normal you buy a 6800xt, with money left over. Take the last mining craze Vega 56, was about £350 at launch price, went up with mining, was discounted to £235 at end of life

If it was a very short price blip scenario, that would make sense, but the current situation isn't resolving anytime soon, so selling something with limited supply to buy it cheaper later on may result in not being able to get one again.

Kind of like selling your last bottle of water in a drought hoping the rain will arrive before you get thirsty.

Still, each to their own and if people want to do that, it's their property to do whatever with :p Me, I'd rather keep the card once I finally get my hands on one!

Associate

With Cex take it to thier shop and they will knock the price down :cry:

CEX won't knock the price down if it passes testing and people are paying £1500-£1800 for 3080's, that's a fact.

Associate

With Cex take it to their shop and they will knock the price down :cry:

CeX dont knock the price down as long as it works. Traded a few items to them now, and the only thing I ever got a price knock down on was a mobile phone.
I mistakenly thought it was unlocked, when it was actually locked to EE. So my bad. They then offered me the price for the Locked to EE, which I accepted.

GPUs dont even have a 'grade'. They either get accepted or rejected. With things like phones you get grades. So if you brought a phone in and claimed it was A grade unlocked. (So box + great condition) and it actually had nothing with it and was locked...then yea you get knocked down.

Soldato
I held on to an RX5600 XT for months after I bought an RX6800 last year. The prices kept going up on Auctions so sold it locally to a lad that had an unfinished system and no hope of buying one within his budget. Well below the sold auction listings but double that I had paid as an open box GPU just before the inflation took off.

Now my spare system is GPU-less as well apart from a old GTX 710 good enough to boot Windows.

Soldato
I wouldn’t sell if you enjoy using the card. If you want to avoid FOMO, use the card for mining when not gaming. There’s a reason people are paying such high prices for these things.

Soldato
That's not how it works for a fair chunk of enthusiasts though - they don't treat their components as a sunk cost, they look to run a conveyor belt of hardware, selling off kit whilst it still has value to part fund upgrades. "easyrider shuffle" and all that, just check all the people who were flogging off Turing/Pascal cards following the RTX 3080 announcements. They downgraded with the intention of upgrading to the latest kit, but they were timing it to reduce the cost of changing, if you wait for the new cards to launch the resale value of the older cards typically plummets. This situation is analogous with people selling their current card for big numbers, wait a bit and then buy new high end card.

Yeah its definitely not sunk cost I sold my 1080ti for £450 or thereabouts a year or so ago but I paid £686 for it a couple of years earlier likewise bought a 2080ti for £989 sold it for £536 18 months later so thats ~£200 for the 1080ti and ~£400 cost for the 2080ti for nigh on a couple of years use each for what were the best cards available at the time, not a bad return.

I could sell my 3090 now for probably a huge profit but I'd be without a card so won't be doing that, at least not yet.

CeX dont knock the price down as long as it works. Traded a few items to them now, and the only thing I ever got a price knock down on was a mobile phone.
I mistakenly thought it was unlocked, when it was actually locked to EE. So my bad. They then offered me the price for the Locked to EE, which I accepted.

GPUs dont even have a 'grade'. They either get accepted or rejected. With things like phones you get grades. So if you brought a phone in and claimed it was A grade unlocked. (So box + great condition) and it actually had nothing with it and was locked...then yea you get knocked down.

They state a buying price for gpus on their site and thats what you get (so long as it works) they also state what they sell them for at the same time so its all upfront i.e. buy for £500 sell for £800 etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm amazed the prices RTX3080FE's are selling for now, I paid £650 for mine a few months ago, and after seeing this thread, I must admit, I was tempted to sell as that's a lot of money !, but I actually bought this card to game on, and Flight Sim 2020, GTA5, Cyberpunk and the others that I play wouldn't be the same without it.

Yes, I do have it mining when I'm not gaming on it. I've knocked it back to 88Mh/s instead of the 97Mh/s as it used to crash every couple of days at the higher rate, but at 88, its rock steady 24/7 I've found that I can even mine perfectly well whilst using Fusion 360 and that is quite a demanding bit of software.

So I decided that I am definitely not going to sell it, that was until my wife saw how much it was worth !!, and now she's pushing hard for me to sell it! but I'm still not selling it as its the heart of my computer, and I simply don't want anything less.

Associate
I'm amazed the prices RTX3080FE's are selling for now, .

What are you talking about, there are tons selling for just over msrp on ebay... all from the philippines... all from sellers with zero feedback...

I wonder how much this costs ebay, as buyers are fully protected so it's seen as worth a punt for the desperate. Enough to justify the extra money from scalpers I guess.

Man of Honour
If it was a very short price blip scenario, that would make sense, but the current situation isn't resolving anytime soon, so selling something with limited supply to buy it cheaper later on may result in not being able to get one again.

Kind of like selling your last bottle of water in a drought hoping the rain will arrive before you get thirsty.
The difference is you will die within weeks if you have no access to drinking water; you won't die from having no access to a fast gpu, despite what you might think reading some of the posts on this forum... :)

You can live off a weak GPU for a few years, and it seems unlikely that the shortage will extend much beyond 2023 because that will give time to get new factories online etc plus new entrants into the market joining the party like Intel. Admittedly these are somewhat uncharted waters but history tells us that shortages get resolved eventually. We saw it with 2017 mining boom, we saw it with the hard drive shortage following flooding in Thailand, we've all seen the cyclical DRAM market over the years etc. Where demand outstrips supply there is incentive to increase supply, it just takes a while.

We may ultimately at some point in the future reach a scenario where we hit raw material shortages, which would be a real worry, but right now the stock issues seem to be rooted in a combination of:
  • Covid hitting production directly
  • Supply wound down a bit due to reduced demand from other industries (automotive etc)
  • Shipping issues
  • Big demand spike due to mining
So as manufacturing capacity is increased, we should start to see supply catching up with demand. This doesn't happen overnight but equally I don't expect to be sat here in 5 years time looking to see if I can buy RTX 3000 series performance for over £1k.

Associate
So I decided that I am definitely not going to sell it, that was until my wife saw how much it was worth !!, and now she's pushing hard for me to sell it! but I'm still not selling it as its the heart of my computer, and I simply don't want anything less.

That's an easy one to knock back - just show her how much money it's making mining then point out how quickly you'd make the sale profit back and carry on making if you keep it. :D
Sheesh - that's like selling a cow then being forced to buy milk! :rolleyes:

Associate
The difference is you will die within weeks if you have no access to drinking water; you won't die from having no access to a fast gpu, despite what you might think reading some of the posts on this forum... :)

You can live off a weak GPU for a few years, and it seems unlikely that the shortage will extend much beyond 2023 because that will give time to get new factories online etc plus new entrants into the market joining the party like Intel. Admittedly these are somewhat uncharted waters but history tells us that shortages get resolved eventually. We saw it with 2017 mining boom, we saw it with the hard drive shortage following flooding in Thailand, we've all seen the cyclical DRAM market over the years etc. Where demand outstrips supply there is incentive to increase supply, it just takes a while.

I changed my original wording from die to thirsty as I'm definitely not suggesting it's that critical, but I was pointing out the unpredicability of a 'downpour' of GPUs after the current drought - we are looking at something like another 12-18 months of this unless someone finds a lost Fab down the back of the sofa. :p

As you say, if you've got a lesser GPU you are content to fall back to, go for it, but I certainly wouldn't do that - greater performance is the main reason why I upgrade kit in the first place. It's not to make a quick buck, tempting though it may be. Recent events have changed my perspective on waiting for things, so it's certainly a personal choice everyone can make.

Back
Top Bottom