Cancel culture expands to real life in the USA

Caporegime
OP
"I'm being oppressed" says some far left radical that has government, corporations, business, corporate (lamestream) media, woke police enforcing subjective hate crime laws and investigating "non crime hate incidents" all fighting in their corner.

Meanwhile, ordinary people are scared to voice traditional opinions and scientific facts in case they end up banned, censored, suspended from social media, police knocking on their door demanding to know why they said that only women can have periods, payment processors like Paypal terminating their accounts for wrongthink, their employers sacking them because they don't want to be cancelled along with them.

This oppression everyone on the left keeps talking about sounds pretty good compared to the alternative.

Soldato
"I'm being oppressed" says some far left radical that has government, corporations, business, corporate (lamestream) media, woke police enforcing subjective hate crime laws and investigating "non crime hate incidents" all fighting in their corner.

Meanwhile, ordinary people are scared to voice traditional opinions and scientific facts in case they end up banned, censored, suspended from social media, police knocking on their door demanding to know why they said that only women can have periods, payment processors like Paypal terminating their accounts for wrongthink, their employers sacking them because they don't want to be cancelled along with them.

This oppression everyone on the left keeps talking about sounds pretty good compared to the alternative.

Have you any idea how deluded you sound? I'm genuinely curious.

Caporegime
"Hi, I'm the CIA, my preferred pronouns are coup/assassination/death squad." :cry:
Rob gets a bad press here (from me, I'm sure he's a nice person when he's not typing) but this is actually quite good. That's a 9 out of 10 and unironic zinger.

Have you any idea how deluded you sound? I'm genuinely curious.

The answer to that question is no. Even a cursory look at his posting history would raise at least an eyebrow.

Soldato
The answer to that question is no. Even a cursory look at his posting history would raise at least an eyebrow.

Oh I'm fully aware of his posting history. Some of the conspiracy nonsense he used to post in the Trump vs Hilary that then became the Trump Presidency thread were a sight to behold. Funny that none of his claims ever came to fruition. You'd think when that happens you'd question your beliefs. His posting seems as out there on the fringe as it was back then.

Man of Honour
He is deluded in his belief these things are only happening to the right and all the media is left wing. Poor little right wingers are such victims of the oppression. And yes he is overstating the case.

He didn't write that. It's hardly fair to claim he's deluded because of something you wrote and passed off as his. Particularly when what he claims happens has happened. Repeatedly. It's not a delusion when it's real. "deluded" doesn't mean "disobedient". Not yet, anyway. The ideology he's referring to is so extremely authoritarian that its followers might well believe that anyone who doesn't obey the ideology in all ways is severely mentally ill (or just plain evil) but they haven't yet succeeded in corrupting the word 'deluded'. Not yet, though of course they're trying. Corrupting the meaning of words is a very powerful political tool if it can be done and they've already done it with some words (equality, diversity, liberal, etc). But not 'deluded'. Yet. It's a good choice, though. Portraying dissent as an extremely severe mental illness is an excellent way of suppressing dissent for an ideology that has enough power to do it.

I've no doubt there are some people on "the right" who try the same thing, but they have far less power so they're far less effective at it and thus far less dangerous to everyone.

Soldato

Putting aside your belief that the "government, corporations, business, corporate (lamestream) media, woke police" are conspiring against you, if you can't voice your opinion because you lack the vocabulary to convey something without causing offence that's on you.

The English language is a wonderfully varied tool that allow people to convey their thoughts to one another, if "ordinary people are scared to voice traditional opinions and scientific facts" (whatever an ordinary person is) then perhaps they need to try rephrasing things so they're not misunderstood and not causing offence.

Back
Top Bottom