Road Cycling

Soldato
No, it was actually 0.3mi into this segment. It's not even at the bottom, I think I squeezed the brakes going round the slight left.
Ooh. I think I rode down that the other week. Some ***** close passed mates behind as we were doing 35+. Wouldn't be that keen on 50 down there! I've hit ~50 a few times. Once in the Lake District on a main road with some huge tailwind. Not even very steep. ~56mph down some German pass with sweeping open bends. Perfect surface. No pedalling!

Soldato
Folks in Scotland - any recommendations for Bike Fitting? Looking to get booked in with Garry Kirk I think but haven't heard back from him and he is definitely at the higher end of the cost scale

Soldato
I think it's up to 116psi and I run around 104.
Sounds high to me but I do run low being tubeless & 32mm as mentioned before. But then I didn't even run 23mm at 100psi! I tend to be 40/60psi most the time but for these faster group rides I'll put my rear up to 70psi. That's on 32mm's. I keep the front quite low for comfort, the rear generally 15-20 psi over it as I'm towing a 40kg trailer on the rear axle. I'm running wide comfortable tyres on wide rims and don't find them slower on anything really below 25/26mph than the 25's and 28's I used to run on narrower rims. Tons more grip too!

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-comparison - They actually come out recommending 81psi on the GP 5000 non-TL, but not sure any rider weight is included in their tests (nor rim width).

My 28mm Hutchingson tubeless I kinda settled on 80psi too, but that was on 19mm internal rims and me being 75-80kg. Need to put them back on the bike actually for 'summer' but really find them no faster than my Zipps on 32's and they feel heavier/slower with far less comfort. Really should sell those wheels (Fulcrum 7's) and the tyres (Fusions) as not impressed with either! :rolleyes:

There's a good easy calculator here: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html but there are many others. Might even find one with tyre specifics in there. I should probably find one where I can adjust the front/rear weight distribution.

Forecast is actually sunny in Gloucestershire. Northerly wind again (which should be good for the West/East/West route)

Might not need my Gabba top to ride out and back in!
Feels colder here than the last couple of days due to the wind, although it is brighter and less wind. The 2 nursery commutes this week have been in a thermal windproof top, thermal shorts and knee warmers. Should probably have switched to leg warmers and dropped the overshoes, but much prefer warm feet over cold! Headwinds back towing that 40kg lump have been pretty grim going - seeing 250-260W struggling to hold 10mph when it gusts! :eek:

The run down to collect with a tailwind has been far more fun...

Guy on my Strava from north of Leeds - near Harrogate, got snowed on an hour or two ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got a 20-30nm - 80nm Torque wrench they like and would recommend on a budget below £100?

EDIT: found Amazon do 'basics' branded ones!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi.../B07SYTQ6FT/ref=psdc_1939055031_t2_B0001K9T2O

Considering this is for something with varying tightness I just need to get 'over 50 and around 60nm' not too bothered about it's accuracy. Towards the middle of it's range so it should be fairly accurate anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got a 20-30nm - 80nm Torque wrench they like and would recommend on a budget below £100?

EDIT: found Amazon do 'basics' branded ones!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi.../B07SYTQ6FT/ref=psdc_1939055031_t2_B0001K9T2O

Considering this is for something with varying tightness I just need to get 'over 50 and around 60nm' not too bothered about it's accuracy. Towards the middle of it's range so it should be fairly accurate anyway.
I use my car torque wrench branded by Draper. Never let me down and can be bought from most auto factors

Something like this

Soldato
Folks in Scotland - any recommendations for Bike Fitting? Looking to get booked in with Garry Kirk I think but haven't heard back from him and he is definitely at the higher end of the cost scale

I would try calling/messaging him again and go with him. I would not bother with anyone else to be totally honest with you unless you go down south.

Soldato
Merlin doing Vision Metron SL 40s at a cracking price currently. £999.

40mm carbon clinchers 1400-1450g.

Zipp or similar are heavier and twice the price!

Im sorely tempted but it’s more than I want to spend!

Soldato
Has anyone with a ClimbPro-equipped Garmin found it’s started including tons of “climbs” on your routes that are barely even uphill?

I live in Essex so it’s pretty flat, theres only a few hills round here that flag up on it, but today it found 6 on a 100k route and only one of them was a real climb, some of the others were almost flat!

Have they been messing with it? I might just turn it off.

Soldato
Merlin doing Vision Metron SL 40s at a cracking price currently. £999.

40mm carbon clinchers 1400-1450g.

Zipp or similar are heavier and twice the price!

Im sorely tempted but it’s more than I want to spend!

Looking for some purchase justification!

If I can get them to fit on my P3C then I can sell my Enve 65s I hardly use and justify it to myself.

I would fit a 25 or 28 tyre for daily use and could buy some 23mm clinchers suitable for TT and change them over if I got a flat on my tubs.

Im not sure on the rim width. My Corima disc is 22.6mm and I have about 4mm clearance on the NDS at the brake track, so I’d be going to about 2.5mm. Drive side plenty of room.

The visions are 19mm ID and 26mm OD. I have used Hplusson rims before as a training wheel with 23mm GP4000ii and had occasional minor rubbing out the saddle but I never adjusted the screws on the drop outs, and we all know how big those tyres sized up at.

I guess it comes down to wheel flex and I won’t know without buying them if they will fit... hmm.

Soldato
When I first saw this I thought you’d written Prime and it had autocorrected, I hadn’t heard of Scribe. They look similar to Hunt but looks like nicer hubs - I have ordered the 50mm carbon HD ones (24/28 spoke) as I am currently a bit of a porker, and when I’m less of a porker I might want to do a bit of roady bike packing so the extra capacity won’t hurt anyway. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Tempted to try these myself - not your usual cyclist build at 95kg so think safest to go for the HDs

Let me know what you think when you get them!

Soldato
Has anyone with a ClimbPro-equipped Garmin found it’s started including tons of “climbs” on your routes that are barely even uphill?
I recently borrowed an 830. Turned that stuff right off after one ride. Just annoyed me. I want to see my Power/Cadence not the climb gradient. I can tell it's over 10%...

Soldato
Looking for some purchase justification!

If I can get them to fit on my P3C then I can sell my Enve 65s I hardly use and justify it to myself.

I would fit a 25 or 28 tyre for daily use and could buy some 23mm clinchers suitable for TT and change them over if I got a flat on my tubs.

Im not sure on the rim width. My Corima disc is 22.6mm and I have about 4mm clearance on the NDS at the brake track, so I’d be going to about 2.5mm. Drive side plenty of room.

The visions are 19mm ID and 26mm OD. I have used Hplusson rims before as a training wheel with 23mm GP4000ii and had occasional minor rubbing out the saddle but I never adjusted the screws on the drop outs, and we all know how big those tyres sized up at.

I guess it comes down to wheel flex and I won’t know without buying them if they will fit... hmm.
Sounds like you're already sold :D Buy them up quick before the offer goes?

Anecdotally I would say GP5000 are closer to true size than GP4000 but I've not measured them.

Soldato

I live in Essex so it’s pretty flat, theres only a few hills round here that flag up on it, but today it found 6 on a 100k route and only one of them was a real climb, some of the others were almost flat!

Have they been messing with it? I might just turn it off.

I’ve found this issue seems to be down to corrupt course files rather than the device itself. I had flattish rides showing 5000m of elevation that then led to loads of random climbs appearing on the road.

Soldato
Sounds like you're already sold :D Buy them up quick before the offer goes?

Anecdotally I would say GP5000 are closer to true size than GP4000 but I've not measured them.

Yes my 28mm GP5000 are more true to size, 28 measures 28 on Hplusson rim, and about 29.5 on Pacenti.

Listed my Enve wheels on eBay so that’s a start! I’d be happy if they fetched £500.

I do love a good bit of procrastination but it is quite a lot of money for something I arguable don’t really need as my alloy wheels ride perfect.

Came within about a mile of my house today OMS. What made you pick that route, normally south Manchester aren’t you!

Soldato
Sorry for not stopping by. :D I had five hours to do and know that’s roughly Southport and back on the winter bike, so went for that. I like doing long rides but sometimes it’s easier to do them with a destination in mind rather than the time.

Soldato
I like doing long rides but sometimes it’s easier to do them with a destination in mind rather than the time.
Agree with that. I moved slightly further out of London last year and it's weird now... At least the first 10 miles of most rides before just kinda flew by... concentrating on traffic etc. By the time I got out to nice and quiet roads I effectively had 20-30miles banked so I kinda found it easier to pull off longer rides. Now it takes me about 10 mins to get out to quiet roads and doing loops gets boring so I have to pick off destinations to achieve it. Need to try explore more deep Chilterns this summer (if it arrives).

Soldato
Had decided to ride 70+ miles yesterday and found the last 25 much harder than I expected. Maybe looking back, I was a little naive, having had one of my toughest rides yet around the Chilterns on Wednesday and then leg day (albeit, not super tough) at the gym on Saturday, maybe I needed more time to recover? The last 20 the saddle was hurting, my legs had gone and I just wanted to be home, which doesn't happen often. (The last 20 were also roads I've done many times, so you lose the enjoyment a bit because of that).

Still, really enjoyed the ride up to the that point, some lovely roads and I've actually got some sun burn!

Soldato
Cheers - you used him / heard good things?

Heard good things but never used him personally.
Used one of the others a few years back. Won't name and shame but absolute waste of money and time.
So would recommend Garry purely out of hearing nothing but good things from decent other racers and not having heard anything good about any others in all honesty.

Back
Top Bottom