BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
So...been for a 100mile drive today on my 440i. Man, the B58 is sweet. So smooth and so much power on tap.
Best of all, if my trip computer is to be believed...also more efficient than the N20 4 cylinder! Lol. I used to average ~34mpg on my 428i on the same journey, but with the B58 I'm getting 41mpg. #winning

Soldato
So...been for a 100mile drive today on my 440i. Man, the B58 is sweet. So smooth and so much power on tap.
Best of all, if my trip computer is to be believed...also more efficient than the N20 4 cylinder! Lol. I used to average ~34mpg on my 428i on the same journey, but with the B58 I'm getting 41mpg. #winning

I get around 36mpg in my 335i if I drive at around 65mph, is the new B58 that much more effiecient :eek:

Man of Honour
I get around 36mpg in my 335i if I drive at around 65mph, is the new B58 that much more effiecient :eek:
I've averaged 34 mpg since new in my M140 but that has come down to about 30 now since Covid. If I do 70 on the motorway I get over 40 MPG. It really is quite impressive.

Don
My 6 is driving me mad.

Before lockdown in the UK my E64 650i was running just fine. I laid it up for nearly a year but have now put it back in to service and it has an issue.
When starting it, it runs fine for the initial minute or so of fast idle, then it drops to the normal idle level which should be 650rpm but it stumbles and drops to 400rpm ish before surging every second to 550rpm. It feels like its misfiring but there are no codes logged. This continues even when warmed up to operating temperature although not as bad.
When driving, the car is fine and just as healthy feeling as it always was. It's just the idle.

When re-commissioning the car I changed the oil, coolant, and filters. Filled it up with 98 RON.

My initial thought was battery so I replaced it and coded a new one in. No change.
Then I thought maybe vacuum so I changed the CCV diaphragms. No change.
Then I changed the CCV pipework at the front of the engine. No change.
Swapped out the IVM. No change.

Disconnecting the MAF causes it to go to fast idle and it runs fine.

My next thing to try is VANOS solenoids.

I've been reading that it could be worn intermediate levers but I fail to see how they could be fine when I laid the car up and then worn when I re-commission it.

Any thoughts on this. It's driving me mad.

Soldato
If it was injectors, I'd expect there to be issues across the entire rev range and it to be worse under load. It's not.

We had a very similar issue with our Mini it went almost 4 months without being used over winter and the fuel was 6-7 months old. Garage replaced all four injectors under warranty tech said common issue with fuel sitting in them for long periods gums them up when on low flow at idle gives bad spray pattern causing a miss fire but can clear up as more fuel is injected.

I’d try some injector cleaner in the fuel. If ours wasn’t under warranty I would expect some Shell V Power/injector cleaner and a long hard thrash would have cleared it up.

Caporegime
If it was injectors, I'd expect there to be issues across the entire rev range and it to be worse under load. It's not.
Why? Injectors need to be most accurate at low speed when fuel needs to be precise.

At full power they are mainly open and any deposits or pintel stiction would have a much smaller impact

Don
Surely if you're disconnecting the MAF and it's making the car run better - this is going to be a MAF related issue??

Not necessarily. The car goes in to a closed-loop running mode where it ignores all the sensors. I'll try swapping it out though. My friend has a 750i with the same MAF so we can do a swap test.

Why? Injectors need to be most accurate at low speed when fuel needs to be precise.

At full power they are mainly open and any deposits or pintel stiction would have a much smaller impact

Far enough. I'll give some injector cleaner a try. Thanks.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
What tyres is everyone running? The PS4's aren't cutting it for me, need something grippier that won't be an absolute pain to drive in the rain...

Soldato
What tyres is everyone running? The PS4's aren't cutting it for me, need something grippier that won't be an absolute pain to drive in the rain...
Got P Zeros on 530d ... stock tyres so nervous when I picked it up, but, had a proper blast around Snowdonia last week and they were faultless, fantastic grip. Had Contis/Hankook on previous 535d, these are better. For run-flats great 'feel', no doubt they will last half the time but don't care. Good enough for F1 .....

Back
Top Bottom