*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
I met him many years ago at a book signing. Got him to sign a t-shirt and a book (Mort I think), and as it was a hardback he wrote 'Oh how I love readers with money!" :D

haha, very witty guy :) His books were getting better and better until his illness got the better of him. Sad really, you were lucky to have met him.

Associate
So, my Quest 2 has arrived.
Had a couple of hours playing with it. Am using Airlink via a TP-Link Archer C1200 and no issues thus far.
In comparison to my CV1

Things I like:
The image clarity is marvelous, seems there's a touch more FOV too.
Passthrough is handy
Wireless is nice too

Things I don't like:
Everything else :(
It's damned uncomfortable (the sides of the lenses scratch the side of my nose since I have to use the smallest IPD setting)
The sound is adequate at best.
The buttons on the controllers feel like a step down in quality from the CV1.

Overall, I'm liking it but I'm not blown away.
Seems like you need to buy a whole lot of extra bits to make it truly useable, whereas with the CV1 I've never had to add a thing to make it good.

Soldato
I used some sticky foam on the inside of the lenses. It now sort of permanently pushes on my nose, but it's far more stable and no longer smashes into it, when turning my head suddenly (also smallest IPD).

Soldato
Having issues with link.

Keeps disconnecting about 10-15mins into steamVR.
I've tried - defaulting bitrate.
lowering to 72hz
Ensuring my power modes are set on high performance on usb 3.
tested connection - 2.4gbs.
updated drivers for GPU (3070).
Tried different USB3 ports

anything else ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had a couple of hours playing with it. Am using Airlink via a TP-Link Archer C1200 and no issues thus far.
In comparison to my CV1

Things I like:
Passthrough is handy
Wireless is nice too

Things I don't like:
It's damned uncomfortable (the sides of the lenses scratch the side of my nose since I have to use the smallest IPD setting)

Seems like you need to buy a whole lot of extra bits to make it truly useable, whereas with the CV1 I've never had to add a thing to make it good.

It's £200 cheaper though, I would recommend a different head band. I got a cheap one from Aliexpress and the difference is massive.

Soldato
Yeah, I must admit, all I really wanted was a higher resolution CV1. In most respects it was excellent - great comfort, lightweight, excellent tracking with three sensors, and quality controllers that almost disappear when using them, as they're so balanced and ergonomic, and also almost indestructible.

Unfortunately we got the Rift S at first and that was worse in many respects, so I skipped it and ended up getting an Index.

Like the CV1 you don't need to add anything to it, but it is three times more expensive than a Quest 2.

I now have a Quest 2 (and a Quest) and I have got the elite battery strap plus VR covers front and back and it's now very comfortable, and only half the cost of an Index.

Up until recently the Index was my PC headset of choice, but with Airlink being so good and so easy to use I'm using my Quest 2 for more PC games, especially Oculus exclusives as they perform much better than using Revive on the Index.

Soldato
I used some sticky foam on the inside of the lenses. It now sort of permanently pushes on my nose, but it's far more stable and no longer smashes into it, when turning my head suddenly (also smallest IPD).
In comparison to my CV1

Things I like:
Passthrough is handy
Wireless is nice too

Things I don't like:

Quick question about this, I use the smallest IPD on my CV1 and it sits quite painfully on the bridge of my nose, is the space between the lenses on the quest 2 smaller than what it was on the CV1 when both are at their narrowest?

Soldato
In comparison to my CV1

Things I like:
Passthrough is handy
Wireless is nice too

Things I don't like:

Try fitting the glasses spacer, it may give your nose some wiggle room.

Soldato
Is it worth checking out app lab? Any good free stuff? Do I need a pc? Can't see how to activate.

Absolutely worth check out applab, and no you don't need a PC, just go to https://applab.games/ on your phone and click on the link of the game you want to play, and the Oculus App will activate the game for you.

However for the PC ports like Doom, Quake, Quake2, HL1, RTCW and Doom3, you need a PC as you have to sideload the content using developer mode and also copy the game data files from a PC install.

Soldato
There are indications that non-fb connected Oculus accounts may be coming for Quest 2 (yeah, like we USED to have), due to tighter privacy and anti-trust regulations

Hopefully this means we can unlink our Oculus accounts and just log in via Oculus.

https://twitter.com/NiclasJ/status/1391655852965236736
Niclas Johansson
@NiclasJ
Can’t officially verify this, but a mgr @ Fb just steadfastly claimed that standalone, non-Fb connected Oculus accounts for consumers WILL come, referring to oncoming tighter regulations on antitrust/privacy and calling it “not a big thing”. This was in an unrecorded CH room.

Back
Top Bottom