LG c9 OLED

Soldato
Anyone else using it with a PC this TV. To date I have just left the input as HDMI. Realised of course can tweak it so PC shows as PC which disables some features and options I would expect, however I get lots off odd artifacting all over the screen in PC mode. Anyone else see a similar issue or how have you got PC mode set up for a gaming PC?

Using RTX 3090, 120hz @ 4k, HDR 4:4:4 12-bit and G-Sync, so anyone else with similar RTX 3xxx have PC mode working smoothly?

Not a big deal as truth be told with HDMI defult option still feels smooth as butter.

can't say I am getting this on my 3080 and have PC named port. Can you take a pic/video of this?

Soldato
Nope. Cable problem maybe, as pushing near/full bandwidth of 2.1 spec with these settings as 444 is only activated in PC mode?

No 4:4:4 12bit is enabled even when input is just normal hdmi. Been using it since day one and like an idiot just read recently pc mode disabled dynamic contrast etc. From that saw all options were available for me to tweak, so slowly clicked started checking and realised pc was never set up as the input. Not a big deal as I say as even with normal hdmi mode I get full benefits and in a way get options like dynamic contrast which normal game mode does not get. I suspect however input latency is higher outside of pc mode but ignorance is bliss I suppose!

Associate
I got that update last week cannot say I have noticed any difference. There was a rumour that Freesync support would be added but I don’t think it has ?

Of vourse its not added, if that had been the intention, LG would have done it last year. They are in the business to get you to buy a new TV, sooner than later. Not happening. MSFS will be on the PS5 before that happens.

Soldato
Of vourse its not added, if that had been the intention, LG would have done it last year. They are in the business to get you to buy a new TV, sooner than later. Not happening. MSFS will be on the PS5 before that happens.

I remember reading something about it possibly being added. No real problem for me as it has VRR for consoles and I don’t use a pc for gaming but it might have been nice for some that do.

Soldato
I remember reading something about it possibly being added. No real problem for me as it has VRR for consoles and I don’t use a pc for gaming but it might have been nice for some that do.

Fortunately on PC side G-sync (compatible) is also supported for Turing and Ampere at least and works very smoothly I find. Still does indeed suck for those with AMD GPUs. I know you can get it working though editing CRU so it should be relatively easy for LG to do I would have thought, but given how mature OLEDs are, need to work hard to have incentives it seems!

Soldato
I've found sometimes the TV needs to have a power cycle, leaving the TV in fast start seems to cause issues sometimes (don't know if stuff doesn't get flushed from ram properly or something:p).

Soldato
Question for you guys. Are any of you running hmdi to you oled from a pc and then using toslink to send sound to an amp? I can't seem to get any more than stereo, although now I think about it, I wonder if Windows is sending uncompressed stereo which might be the issue.

Soldato
Question for you guys. Are any of you running hmdi to you oled from a pc and then using toslink to send sound to an amp? I can't seem to get any more than stereo, although now I think about it, I wonder if Windows is sending uncompressed stereo which might be the issue.
I believe if you disable the TV speakers, it should start sending 5.1 out of the optical port.

I haz 4090!
Don

It's a nightmare this. Yeah you're right, Windows won't send encoded audio across, only PCM. If your TV is set to passthrough and your amp doesn't support multichannel over PCM (optical doesn't have the bandwidth, I'm talking ARC here), you'll only ever get stereo. I have a Sonos Beam connected to my TV (LG CX), with my PC connected directly to it for G-sync support, and I can't get a 5.1 signal to the Beam from Windows. If I had the Arc it would work as that supports 5.1 PCM, but I'm not shelling out that much just to get surround. Sonos drive me mad with their codec support.

Soldato
It's a nightmare this. Yeah you're right, Windows won't send encoded audio across, only PCM. If your TV is set to passthrough and your amp doesn't support multichannel over PCM (optical doesn't have the bandwidth, I'm talking ARC here), you'll only ever get stereo. I have a Sonos Beam connected to my TV (LG CX), with my PC connected directly to it for G-sync support, and I can't get a 5.1 signal to the Beam from Windows. If I had the Arc it would work as that supports 5.1 PCM, but I'm not shelling out that much just to get surround. Sonos drive me mad with their codec support.
I'm having to do it in a roundabout way as my amp predates hdr and 4k120, so my current way is output to TV for picture, output to amp for sound and another output to a monitor for the kids and my Mrs to use so they don't burn in the screen:cry:. I wasn't sure if there was a way, I had a separate card years ago that would do dolby digital live.

I haz 4090!
Don
I'm having to do it in a roundabout way as my amp predates hdr and 4k120, so my current way is output to TV for picture, output to amp for sound and another output to a monitor for the kids and my Mrs to use so they don't burn in the screen:cry:. I wasn't sure if there was a way, I had a separate card years ago that would do dolby digital live.

Sounds like you've been through the exact same journey as me haha! I don't want to have a million outputs going from my PC to the TV as it's a few metres away. I just want to plug it in and have native 5.1 PCM over HDMI. It looks like it's going to have to be a new soundbar to be honest. I don't want to do it but... meh. I'll recoup some of the cost by selling my Beam.

Back
Top Bottom