What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Soldato
You can see some real rotters that have either been unprofessionally refurbished, or simply been refurbished way too many times. You could see the springbar on one of the worst examples I saw.

Polished too many times is certainly an issue for lots of watches, even if they go back to Rolex themselves.

Really good example here from Selfridge's preowned selection: https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/ca...atic-watch_R03767136/?previewAttribute=SILVER

ALL poking out.

R03767136-SILVER-M.jpg

Associate
There really are some lovely watches here, absolutely love the Omega Speedmaster from a few posts back, maybe one day!

For now my two are a Citizen eco drive and a trusty G-Shock Rangeman which I love, it has taken quite a beating over its lifetime and never missed a trick.

Both are solar powered and radio controlled so require very intervention from myself.

KBlDlvS.jpg

Soldato
@2StepSteve congratulations, lovely watches. I love my SpeedMaster, had it a few years now. Get some PolyWatch as you will need to clean the Hesalite glass. I have mines with the NATO strap on it and smile everytime i look at it. Switch to bracelet if i'm out in a suit though, which is very rarely lol

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Is that gear stick hollow? Can't recall seeing that in motors!

The BB58 is still sweet, my mate who had issues with his has decided to not sell it and instead paid the £600 odd for the bracelet and is now finding a new lease of life with it so that's good too. He was getting offers and quotes in the £1800 range which he laughed away from.

I will definitely be getting a Stowa Marine Classic 36 with brushed finished case later in the year. I think the price is excellent for what you get just like with the Flieger Bronze - Nice nautical heritage in the collection of air force hand crankers, needs to be done :D

My wardrobe is majority bronze too it seems, maybe this is why I have been wanting a bronze watch all this time...

outdoors_cloudy_2021.05.08_1509-29_00002.jpg

Soldato
Yeah I had guessed it wasn't a phone camera. Stunning quality mate.

Thanks man, watch photography is a great thing. They are just so photogenic.

Love it. Such a stunner. Congratulations!

@2StepSteve congratulations, lovely watches. I love my SpeedMaster, had it a few years now. Get some PolyWatch as you will need to clean the Hesalite glass. I have mines with the NATO strap on it and smile everytime i look at it. Switch to bracelet if i'm out in a suit though, which is very rarely lol

I had a tube of Polywatch somewhere, years ago. May need to get another tube. I've seen videos where it literally does miracles. When I first looked at the Speedmaster years ago I thought people were mental going for anything but sapphire crystal. But I get it now.

I'm looking forward to getting the bracelet off and experimenting, it's so hard to go wrong with combos. Am a little nervous about taking the bracelet off if I'm honest, as I don't want to scratch the lugs. I'm very careful but may tape up the lugs for added protection.

Soldato
Thanks man, watch photography is a great thing. They are just so photogenic.

I had a tube of Polywatch somewhere, years ago. May need to get another tube. I've seen videos where it literally does miracles. When I first looked at the Speedmaster years ago I thought people were mental going for anything but sapphire crystal. But I get it now.

I'm looking forward to getting the bracelet off and experimenting, it's so hard to go wrong with combos. Am a little nervous about taking the bracelet off if I'm honest, as I don't want to scratch the lugs. I'm very careful but may tape up the lugs for added protection.

Is there an Omega boutique near you? They will swap them. The one near me is good, will give it a quick polish too if I want. I

when I’ve done mines I’ve been stupidly more worried about damaging the tool you get than the watch lol

Soldato
yeah it's like a 'donut', several cars are like that now iirc.

The BB58 is still sweet, my mate who had issues with his has decided to not sell it and instead paid the £600 odd for the bracelet and is now finding a new lease of life with it so that's good too.
And this is why I always try to buy with the bracelet... it's like £250 extra to buy the ss bb58 on a bracelet over the fabric/soft touch straps and it seems the fabric/soft touch is around £200 (assuming you go oem) on it's own.... so it works out around £150-200 cheaper overall, less if you don't buy oem straps. I've yet to see a situation here buying the bracelet afterwards comes in even close to doing it the other way.

Soldato

The BB58 is still sweet, my mate who had issues with his has decided to not sell it and instead paid the £600 odd for the bracelet and is now finding a new lease of life with it so that's good too. He was getting offers and quotes in the £1800 range which he laughed away from.

I will definitely be getting a Stowa Marine Classic 36 with brushed finished case later in the year. I think the price is excellent for what you get just like with the Flieger Bronze - Nice nautical heritage in the collection of air force hand crankers, needs to be done :D

My wardrobe is majority bronze too it seems, maybe this is why I have been wanting a bronze watch all this time...

outdoors_cloudy_2021.05.08_1509-29_00002.jpg
Yeah it's hollow and lights up lol :D I love the bronze I think that will age beautifully!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It may well be the Gillian Anderson of watches if it ages well :D

I have posted a review on Watchuseek now, it is currently the only review online of this watch especially with this option spec and certainly the only set of photos showing decent detail that gives a good idea of what it's like in the flesh as the stock photos are just rather dull compared to how the thing looks in person!

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/stowa-flieger-bronze-vintage-36-review.5306186/

Associate
You do make the some of the dullest of things look at least somewhat good in nearly all of the "product" photos you take and show on this forum. To the point that I think you give some things more credit than they're due :D... I do like that Stowa though, but I just like bronze!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Is this a diss of the toilet plunger from the buying thread?! I will fight you :D

This bronze is way different to the one used on the Baltic. These two watches have been my first hands on with anything bronze on watches so reading up on what's involved in making them, the different alloys brands use and in Stowa's case, the custom treatment they give has been very informative. Still slightly annoyed the buckle is not treated to the same process as the case so need to wait for it to patina over time before it looks the same hue.

I also like how hidden details in the movement come out under certain lighting, look at this taken with my phone in indirect sunlight by a window:

caseback_roomlighting_2021.05.15_0415-00_00001.jpg

The Hamilton Khaki Pilot and this are 2 watches that I'll always enjoy looking at and wearing, and on rubber straps. So comfortable and lightweight.

Edit*
I properly washed the watch as it got a bit grubby since I am wearing it doing everything now and was working on car cleaning etc. Wanted to see if there's any affect on the bronze hand finishing treatment Stowa do and safe to say yes there is but it restores to how it looked out the box within a few days and doesn't escalate further beyond that point.

I've posted photos already earlier of how it looks normally, here's right after washing with hand wash:

washed_patina_20210515_020120.jpg

It takes on a lighter "cleaner" looking hue but after a few days returns to the darker browned hue whilst retaining that aged/vintage appearance. Definitely the best of both worlds when it comes to the bronze treatment and easy maintenance.

And here it is again but a few days later, pics taken with phone under the same desk lighting:

patina_2weeksl8r_side2_2021.05.16_2314-11_00001.jpg
patina_2weeksl8r_side1_2021.05.16_2314-56_00002.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
That one is actually easy to read the time it seems compared to the all black one my mate bought!
It is ! I have the all black 2100 too, and it’s not easy to read the time on it. Especially in the dark. I know it’s got an LED, I just wish the lume was better. You’d think Casio would be top of the game when it comes to lume :( but the hands don’t shine* for long.

Edit- *Illuminate :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom