I mean...

Soldato
Just to add to the list, people who make a statement or answer a question, but turn their response into a question by changing the tone of their voice as they near the end of what they are saying.

My other half had a habit of doing it but soon stopped when I kept saying 'I don't know' every time she did it :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
My brother-in-law has the annoying, (to me), habit of interjecting “eh?” at the end of almost everything he says.
e.g., “I’m going out, eh!”, or “Fancy a drink, eh!” or “Is the Spurs game on TV, eh,” or “Danny will be here soon, eh!”
I said to him once, “Are you sure that you weren’t Canadian in another life?”
You’ve guessed it, he replied, “Eh?”

Soldato
There's nothing wrong with my use of Whole 'nother there. WTF is wrong with you?
If you were going to do it right, it'd be 'a whole nother', without the apostrophe since the missing letter signified is not actually missing... but since we're no longer living in the 14th Century, the term is now regarded as grammatically nonsensical and the domain of unacceptably bastardised American reinterpretation of English phrasing.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Another sloppy phrase that is in fashion atm it seems to me is the use of:

(A-Z, a-z, anything) "...is key".

And I note the poor devils that use it cannot seem to tell the difference between:
Important
Relevant
Valid
Significant
Sound
Necessary
Sufficient
Critical.

Soldato
I personally think it's really cool how that phrase has entered widespread mainstream parlance from computer gaming.
I'm really hoping it stops there, though. The problem is that such popular phrases often make their way into management buzzword lingo.

It was bad enough when they went all military on me. I had a meeting where the guy was talking about overshooting the landing zone, obtaining a visual confirmation of the target, establishing a foothold on the territory, and all that.... I called him on it by suggesting we laid down machine guns with interlocking fields of fire, supported by two mortar sections, which would enable the crew to advance under cover to the excavation site. I think he lost his rag when I insisted we issue IFF transponders to the JCB operators, to keep them from getting hit!

They no longer 'talk Army' at me when discussing such stuff. I'd hate for them to start 'talking Gamer 'at me instead.

Caporegime
I'm really hoping it stops there, though. The problem is that such popular phrases often make their way into management buzzword lingo.

It was bad enough when they went all military on me. I had a meeting where the guy was talking about overshooting the landing zone, obtaining a visual confirmation of the target, establishing a foothold on the territory, and all that.... I called him on it by suggesting we laid down machine guns with interlocking fields of fire, supported by two mortar sections, which would enable the crew to advance under cover to the excavation site. I think he lost his rag when I insisted we issue IFF transponders to the JCB operators, to keep them from getting hit!

They no longer 'talk Army' at me when discussing such stuff. I'd hate for them to start 'talking Gamer 'at me instead.

It's amazing how disconnected those people are... Why can't some managers just be human beings?

Soldato
It's amazing how disconnected those people are... Why can't some managers just be human beings?
A good number of them are human... but it's still the management culture.
My own boss is an old school engineer, but he still has to use all the right phraseology when discussing the methodology with his peer reviewology groups and steering groups and senior managementology.... That's all before you have to interface and touch base with our Gold Command and Silver Command types!

Soldato
If you were going to do it right, it'd be 'a whole nother', without the apostrophe since the missing letter signified is not actually missing... but since we're no longer living in the 14th Century, the term is now regarded as grammatically nonsensical and the domain of unacceptably bastardised American reinterpretation of English phrasing.

So you decided to single me out, in a different thread, for misusing an apostrophe? Get bent, you better make damn sure your posts are perfect from now on.

Soldato
So you decided to single me out, in a different thread, for misusing an apostrophe? Get bent, you better make damn sure your posts are perfect from now on.
It's a bastardisation of language quite common on TV nowadays, and you simply happened to have used it in the thread I was reading immediately before this one.

There's a reason I put a cheeky :p up, too, but if you want to get all serious and start stalking my every post, then this could get quite entertaining... Or you could just giggle about it and move on.

Soldato
It's a bastardisation of language quite common on TV nowadays, and you simply happened to have used it in the thread I was reading immediately before this one.

There's a reason I put a cheeky :p up, too, but if you want to get all serious and start stalking my every post, then this could get quite entertaining... Or you could just giggle about it and move on.

No, you don't do what you just did and mean it as a joke. Pathetic. Concentrate on your own spelling and grammar before you criticism me:rolleyes:

Soldato
No, you don't do what you just did and mean it as a joke. Pathetic. Concentrate on your own spelling and grammar before you criticism me:rolleyes:
I never said it was a joke.
I will say, right here and now, that it was a light-hearted ****-take... but if you seriously want to be a **** about it, then go **** yourself, nail your ******* letterbox shut while you're doing it, and take up your best boxing stance, boyo!!

You used a phrase incorrectly and I merely used you as an example. If it's really that big a deal about it and you're THAT offended by it, well then I.... could care less. :D

Soldato
I never said it was a joke.
I will say, right here and now, that it was a light-hearted ****-take... but if you seriously want to be a **** about it, then go **** yourself, nail your ******* letterbox shut while you're doing it, and take up your best boxing stance, boyo!!

You used a phrase incorrectly and I merely used you as an example. If it's really that big a deal about it and you're THAT offended by it, well then I.... could care less. :D

Again, singled me out with a 'light hearted ****-take' (as if that's any different to a joke..) for misusing an apostrophe. Mind-numbingly petty. I don't give a stuff what your real intention was, you just made yourself look like a ****. Jog the **** on and find something more productive to do. Drinking battery acid perhaps.

Soldato
Again, singled me out with a 'light hearted ****-take' (as if that's any different to a joke..) for misusing an apostrophe. Mind-numbingly petty. I don't give a stuff what your real intention was, you just made yourself look like a ****.
You're the one getting publicly bent out of shape over an apostrophe and making it out to be some kind of personal attack, but somehow you think I'm the one looking bad?

Just accept the fact that you made a common mistake and get on with your life.
Or if you fancy a bit of Carry On Karen, report me to the Mods for my blatant, callous, unrelenting and deliberate apostrophism...

Back
Top Bottom