• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now the best time to sell your GPU?

Associate
OP
Watch you don't get scammed.

With Cex take it to thier shop and they will knock the price down :cry:

I reckon some mad people are paying £1000 to £1500 brand new.

I arranged to sell my 6800 on CEX's website for £920. I took it into the shop, they booked it in with no attempt at trying to knock the price down and got the full £920 into my account today. Zero hassle.

Man of Honour
^^Yeah I think the key thing is different people will have different priorities. The way I look at it, if you have a card worth a fortune and choose not to sell it, that's not really that dissimilar from not having such a card and choosing to buy one for a fortune, as in both cases you end up with the card, but are £xxxx worse off in terms of cash. I wouldn't pay £1445 for a RTX 3080, so conversely if I had one I could sell for that price, I probably would unless I really didn't have anything remotely feasible to replace it with. I'm on a 1070ti and the prices aren't crazy enough on those to warrant selling it, but I would if they were paying over £500. Promote the RX480 from my son's PC and give him a 7950, job's a good'un.

That said, I guess a key difference from 'normal times' is there isn't really much alternative in terms of buying a card at 80% of the performance for half the price like you might normally see. It's not only top end cards that are expensive / hard to source but even midrange has suffered the same fate.

This CEX situation is a bit unprecedented in that there is a reliable mainstream buyer offering hundreds above MRSP. Effectively it's a massive incentive for scalpers as there's guaranteed profits to be made, basically any FE cards will sell instantly because you just buy up as many as you can and don't even take them out of the box, straight down CEX it goes, you haven't got to take a risk on selling to joe public to make money.

Associate
Just had a quick look they are offering even more now for nvidia cards and a few amd`s . Probably because Sony came out with info on chip supply still being an issue for the best part of 2022.

Associate
CEX all time high buy for 3090fe now (£1920) :eek:
However at current rate you can make the same amount of profit through mining using the card at just over a month. So what would you do, sell or mine?

Soldato
CEX all time high buy for 3090fe now (£1920) :eek:
However at current rate you can make the same amount of profit through mining using the card at just over a month. So what would you do, sell or mine?
Always mine. Eth mining's gonna get rekt near the end of the year anyway, and it's not like the 3090 is going to lose that much value since the supply situation will be awful for a lot longer than that.

Associate
Unreal they are now paying £1615 for a 3080

Dunno what to do. Its getting to the point now where I think I would be foolish to not sell at that price. I would be kicking myself if I didn't and supply improved later in the year and they were readily available at under 1k

Associate
Unreal they are now paying £1615 for a 3080

Dunno what to do. Its getting to the point now where I think I would be foolish to not sell at that price. I would be kicking myself if I didn't and supply improved later in the year and they were readily available at under 1k
If you can make do without the extra performance, sell. I recently sold a 3060Ti for £800 and he gave me his 1070Ti for free. Barely any difference in Fortnite which is the most demanding game I play. Win.

Associate
Strange how CEX are offering hundreds less to buy superior TUF 3080 models over the FE.

FE's have always netted high prices with them. Despite being the cheapest cards new, they seem to carry a 'halo' status.

Aside from being the best looking, they really are not the best cards. So it is strange that people pay more for them used. New the price being lowest makes sense why they are popular.

Associate
That's an easy one to knock back - just show her how much money it's making mining then point out how quickly you'd make the sale profit back and carry on making if you keep it. :D
Sheesh - that's like selling a cow then being forced to buy milk! :rolleyes:

That's funny, I like the analogy ! :)

She's calmed down and seen sense now anyway, It was the mining income from not selling the card, and the fact that I've managed to scalp £1100 profit from that dodgy Dogecoin in the last 5 weeks that's keeping her happy (spending some of the profits) :)

Associate
She's calmed down and seen sense now anyway, It was the mining income from not selling the card, and the fact that I've managed to scalp £1100 profit from that dodgy Dogecoin in the last 5 weeks that's keeping her happy (spending some of the profits) :)

Nice one - always good to share the wealth to keep the VIPs happy :D

^^^^Doge to the Moon^^^^ :cry:

Associate
I still think you're far better off mining, you can realise similar profits very quickly and end up with a card at the end of it. (~1 month for 3090 and ~2 months for 3080 to realise the same profit as CEX are offering on FE cards).

Back
Top Bottom